RivalsHigh.com ranks the 50 states for overall depth and quality of HS Football

Ok OK I understand you were on the 98 team. I can appreciate your support for the team and I by no means am ever going to downplay the talent of one of the best Highlands team, we can agree to disagree.

Only one way to solve this, have Highlands, St. X, or whomever else schedule games against the top dogs int the state of OH on a consistent basis....

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interesting analysis by Dallas Jackson over at RivalsHigh.com. He ranks all 50 states high school football "overall" based on quality and depth.

Where is the best football played in 2010

To note....

TIER ONE: The best of the best for high school football around the country.

3. Ohio: Maintaining its position in the Top 3 may need to stop being a surprise and instead become the norm. Ohio has fewer teams than Texas or California but can certainly hang with the big three and does so for the second straight season. In fact, it may be more like Florida than Texas or California, not relying on volume, instead overall quality. The Division I state title will be the hardest state tournament to win in 2010, Divisions III, IV and V also have several very good teams. (LY: 3)

TIER FOUR: A couple pockets of good teams and players but generally in the 25-40 range.

31: Kentucky: Generally the best team in Kentucky is among the four or five best in Ohio. This year, the best team in the state, Louisville Trinity, may not be in the Top 10 in Ohio. There is also a major gap between Trinity and everyone else in the state. That kind of problem is glaring and reflective in this placement. (LY: 25)

Just an interesting perspective on how close Ohio and KY are (or are not).

Thoughts? Opinions? How far would Trinity go if they were in the Ohio Division I Playoffs?

-CardinalsFan

Who cares. We're not in Ohio.

Who cares. We're not in Ohio.

I have said the same thing numerous times on BGP yet the OH lovefest continues. Really, BGP should be moved to a sidebar on Yappi or just make this a Highlands board. 95% of the people on here when I joined years ago are gone. :isurrender::isurrender:

Based upon what?

Based upon this state having alot of quality programs. Do you honestly believe that the level of football here is worse than Indiana, Utah, Colorado, Kansas, or Hawaii for example? The tier 1 & 2 states are obvious but placing KY in tier 4 with those states being ahead doesn't add up to me. Granted I haven't seen a ton of football from those states but enough from CO and IN to know they certaintly aren't any better than KY. Plus in his assessment of KY he mentioned one team and left off a team with 19 state titles along with several other good teams that should have been mentioned IMO.

Based upon this state having alot of quality programs. Do you honestly believe that the level of football here is worse than Indiana, Utah, Colorado, Kansas, or Hawaii for example? The tier 1 & 2 states are obvious but placing KY in tier 4 with those states being ahead doesn't add up to me. Granted I haven't seen a ton of football from those states but enough from CO and IN to know they certaintly aren't any better than KY. Plus in his assessment of KY he mentioned one team and left off a team with 19 state titles along with several other good teams that should have been mentioned IMO.

I didn't read the link but I'd guess part of it is based upon how many kids go D1. Indiana always seems to put out a lot of kids.

Here's a link to D1 kids committed so far from this year's class broken down by state.

This will continue to change as we get closer to February.

http://www.maxpreps.com/football-signing-day/football/home.htm

The 09 team was good, but Collinsworth and Co. would still be getting scraped out of the cleats of the Hefty Lefty and Smith. 98 was bigger, strong, faster, and more talented than perhaps any team ever to grace a field in KY. We may never again see a team run through the state competition the way that Highland's team did. Their AVERAGE score for the year in 98 was 53-13, and those 13 almost always came againt the third stringers.

We're all entitled to our opinions, but as someone that has followed the program very closely for a very long time, you're wacko if you think the 98 team would have beat last's team by 40.

Just for fun , here is the results of HHS "98" team. Keep in mind the strength of schedule.

Male 51-41

Campbell Co. 88-12

Holmes 64-0

Ncc 62-0

Scott 72-7

Conner 51-20

Cov Cath70-26

Dixie 41-7

Ryle 40-7

Simon Kenton28-12

Playoffs

East Jessamine 63-20

Cov Cath 37-14

Sheldon Clark 44-28

Waggoner 56-7

You have to remember , back in 98 a lot of these schools were not the powers that they are now. (Have Fun !)

Just for fun , here is the results of HHS "98" team. Keep in mind the strength of schedule.

Male 51-41

Campbell Co. 88-12

Holmes 64-0

Ncc 62-0

Scott 72-7

Conner 51-20

Cov Cath70-26

Dixie 41-7

Ryle 40-7

Simon Kenton28-12

Playoffs

East Jessamine 63-20

Cov Cath 37-14

Sheldon Clark 44-28

Waggoner 56-7

You have to remember , back in 98 a lot of these schools were not the powers that they are now. (Have Fun !)

The 09 team had their star players only on one side of the ball. Also the fact of injuries to those players as well. ( I know , injuries are part of the game.) The 09 team could have put up numbers like the 98 team , and their strength of schedule was much more demanding.

To clarify, I have learned that Trinity has tried to schedule Colerain, Cincy St. Xavier, Bowling Green, Simon Kenton, and Highlands for next season. All said no.

Did they all say no, or was their schedule conflict? I am sure Highlands, Bowling Green, and SK said no. However, I would think Colerain and St. X would play if they were open.