What is the #1 thing the Reds should not do?

Preachit

Why Cueto?

I would say Maloney is about two notches below Cueto and one below Bailey ... unproven lefty finesse guys don't always fetch a great deal on the market.

That was my point. Cueto & Bailey have more value than Maloney, which is why I think they're more likely to get traded. The Reds aren't going to make a move unless it improves them offensively. Trading Maloney would probably bring in a guy that is similar to what Jonny Gomes did this year. If that's the case, the Reds will stick with Gomes.

The Reds won't trade Volquez, Arroyo, Leake, Wood or Chapman. That leaves Bailey, Cueto, Maloney & Lecure (the 1st 2 may also be untouchable). If you trade Bailey or Cueto, you can package a minor leaguer & get something better in return. I think more teams would be interested in Cueto (just a hunch), so that's why I speculated that Cueto may be on the block.

If you give up Cueto (or Bailey), you still have a very strong pitching staff.

I think that the Reds would love to trade Arroyo if they thought that they could & still win. There are 12 million reasons why they should, but if you do get rid of Arroyo, you're going to be relying on a pitching staff of guys in their young to mid 20's.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Reds won't trade Volquez, Arroyo, Leake, Wood or Chapman. That leaves Bailey, Cueto, Maloney & Lecure (the 1st 2 may also be untouchable).
Maybe I'm not understanding your point, but why would the Reds be more likely to trade Cueto than Leake? Cueto is a guy to hold onto, unless you get bowled over with an offer. Leake has yet to prove he can get through an entire professional season.

Maybe I'm not understanding your point, but why would the Reds be more likely to trade Cueto than Leake? Cueto is a guy to hold onto, unless you get bowled over with an offer. Leake has yet to prove he can get through an entire professional season.

I'd be fine with trading Leake. He doesn't have the trade value of Cueto, but I'd guess he'd have more than Maloney. But, as a LHP, Maloney's trade value could be difficult to predict. Personally, I really think Maloney just needs a shot to start regularly in the bigs.

It's a nice problem to have. Bottom line, if Bronson's here next year, I think one of the pitchers are gone for a bat. No idea who that bat might be.

What's Rolen status, how long do we have him? Is there a fielding/hitting capable replacement in our farm system?

From Cot's.

Pos'n ML Srv Agent Length / Total Value 2010 2011 2012 013 2014

Rolen, Scott 3b 13.060 Seth Levinson 8 yr/$90M (03-10) 2 yr/$13M (11-12) $7,666,667 $8.167 $8.167 FA

I'd be fine with trading Leake. He doesn't have the trade value of Cueto, but I'd guess he'd have more than Maloney. But, as a LHP, Maloney's trade value could be difficult to predict. Personally, I really think Maloney just needs a shot to start regularly in the bigs.

It's a nice problem to have. Bottom line, if Bronson's here next year, I think one of the pitchers are gone for a bat. No idea who that bat might be.

While I don't disagree with you here I think they will be real reluctant to trade Leake without giving him a real chance to produce over a full season. All you heard from broadcasters early in the year who watched Leake pitch said that he reminded them of Greg Maddux, with great command and movement on his pitches. I think he needs to get a little stronger and try to increase the fastball into the low 90s to be more effective but I worry about his size. The Red's list him @ 6'1 and 190 but I'm not buying it.

While I don't disagree with you here I think they will be real reluctant to trade Leake without giving him a real chance to produce over a full season. All you heard from broadcasters early in the year who watched Leake pitch said that he reminded them of Greg Maddux, with great command and movement on his pitches. I think he needs to get a little stronger and try to increase the fastball into the low 90s to be more effective but I worry about his size. The Red's list him @ 6'1 and 190 but I'm not buying it.

Well, if Leake reminds you of Maddux, then Wood must remind you of Glavine. And I'd be tickled to have those two in their primes on our staff.

I didn't say that he reminded "me" of Maddux. I think you misread my post.

I sure did misread it. Then let me rephrase, I guess that Wood must remind them of Glavine then.

Either way, I'd hope we don't part with either of them unless it was a no brainer.

I trust Walt, bottom line.

I sure did misread it. Then let me rephrase, I guess that Wood must remind them of Glavine then.

Either way, I'd hope we don't part with either of them unless it was a no brainer.

I trust Walt, bottom line.

Imo every team needs at least one lefty in the starting rotation. It's just a shame that Wood can't face his own teammates the way we have struggled against lefties.

I think our best 5 with Arroyo are Bronson, Volquez, Cueto, Wood, and Chapman. That leaves out Leake, Bailey, Maloney, and LeCure. Do they keep Aroldis in the bullpen? Keep him in the minors? What about Leake and Bailey? Both are proven to an extent in the bigs. There has to be some type of movement with our pitchers this offseason if we're trying to win now. We have too many capable starters to keep them in AAA.

Why does the size bother you? He has solid mechanics & a live arm.

Maddux was 6 foot, 180. Worked out pretty well for him.