Seniors Playing JV

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

got ya. what if they have never played before and have very limited skills? Would it be better to put them on JV to give them some playing time, or have them rarely get in a varsity game?

JV is a developmental team for future Varsity players. If a senior is not good enough to make the varsity team, they shouldn't be playing. If the senior was serious about playing basketball, he would have started playing earlier in his high school years. A senior should not knock an underclassman out of playing time on the JV team.

I can see this both ways, but I think that the JV team is the feeder team or development team to the varsity team, and usually the younger players need the playing time to develop. If a kid is a senior who has never played before, it seems too bad, but he couldn't be serious about playing to wait until he is a senior to try to play. It's too late.

I think we are talking about teenage kids here, you are only in high school once and if a kid decides he wants to play and be a part of the team whats the problem. Let him know his time will be limited and if he agrees then everything is OK. Don't get carried away telling kids not to play, don't loose sight of what high school sports is about.

I think we are talking about teenage kids here, you are only in high school once and if a kid decides he wants to play and be a part of the team whats the problem. Let him know his time will be limited and if he agrees then everything is OK. Don't get carried away telling kids not to play, don't loose sight of what high school sports is about.

Waste of time. No coach wants to play a senior on their JV squad when he knows he's never getting varsity time. It's just easier to cut them and develop the younger players, regardless of limited playing time. May sound harsh but it's reality.

Waste of time. No coach wants to play a senior on their JV squad when he knows he's never getting varsity time. It's just easier to cut them and develop the younger players, regardless of limited playing time. May sound harsh but it's reality.

Then that coach is wrong! Telling any kid that wants to be a part of your program and knows his role in that program that he can't play is wrong. Develope a younger player, lets keep this in perspective, you are talking about High School, not college, the average or even good high school player doesn't go on to play college basketball. Having a kid that wants to come to practice everyday when he knows he's not going to play is the kind of kid you should want to have on your team, and a coach that would cut that kid for the sake of "developement" is missing the bigger picture. I don't want to come across as a guy who thinks wins do not matter because I am all about winning and creating a winning attitude in your program. I just think that there are very few kids that would stay on a team under the circumstances that I outlined, practice everyday and not play, that if you do find one, he is a kid that is probally worth keeping around.

Coaches want kids to get experience to help them when they are on the varsity, I don't know any coach that plays seniors or even wants to play them on JV. If they want to be part of a team, give them another job like stats, film crew, etc.

Couldn't have said it any better.:thumb:

Coaches want kids to get experience to help them when they are on the varsity, I don't know any coach that plays seniors or even wants to play them on JV. If they want to be part of a team, give them another job like stats, film crew, etc.

once again, mising the point. This kid wants to play basketball, not keep stats or film. Maybe we'll have to agree to disagree.

I think at smaller schools, this is commonplace. However, at a larger school, and frankly with more highly competitive programs, there just isn't any point in playing a senior on a JV team that is, for all intents and purposes, a method to get kids ready for Varsity competition. No reason to play a kid who will have no bearing on the outcome of future basketball endeavors at a school like that. Not all kids can play basketball, nor are entitled to do so.