Seniors Playing JV

[/b]

once again, mising the point. This kid wants to play basketball, not keep stats or film. Maybe we'll have to agree to disagree.

If this kid wants to play basketball, maybe he should have started playing his freshman year and not his senior year. If the coach just gives this senior a roster spot on the varsity team, he just deprived the underclassman the opportunity to sit varsity that has been coming to practice everyday and knows his role on the varsity bench. No difference, no coach would bring on a senior to sit the bench when he has underclassmen that have been working to earn that spot for years.

All coaches should play and dress the best.

I agree with Big Slick, if the senior wants to participate and is not good enough to make the varsity team, they let them be a manager, asst. trainer, stats or the film guy. Not everybody gets "what they want" just because they want it. I bet the underclassmen that have been working for years "want" to dress varsity too.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a similar situation coaching years ago. I actually put the kid on the varsity, and he knew from the very start he would not get hardly any playing time, he knew he wouldn't even get in on a lot of the competitive drills in practice, and he also was made very aware that at the end of the season for the playoffs he would be able to travel and practice if he wanted to but that I would move up a couple of very talented junior varsity players to fill his spot, but that we could actually play in difficult situations if needed. In the end we won a state championship (in Florida) the young man was on the bench (not in uniform), ate the meals, stayed in the motel, did everything the team did, AND now has a state championship ring he wears proudly. I personally never played but one junior on the junior varsity in 23 years of coaching. I think the development at the JV level is possibly the most important time, especially for schools that aren't overloaded with talent. Just one coaches take on this. I certainly wouldn't put a senior on the JV, but if he wanted to be on the team I would do it this way, but would also give him the opportunity to do stats, camera etc... Not saying I was right, but it was what I did and would do again if the situation presented itself. I must say very few kids would want to be part of the team knowing all of the things I mentioned in the first of the post.

[/b]

once again, mising the point. This kid wants to play basketball, not keep stats or film. Maybe we'll have to agree to disagree.

Ever heard of intramurals or church league?

JV is for one purpose and one purpose only: to prepare future varsity players!

The only time I've seen it done was with a foreign exchange student who wanted to fit in with her American friends she had made in the first couples weeks of classes. She was nowhere near being a good player that a fifth grader could school her on the courts...she was the mop-up players that only got in when the score was out of hand and only dressed one varsity game with that being senior night...she knew that she wasn't playing with the best players, but she was just happy to be able to travel with the team, get the free gear to wear, and put on the jersey.

With all that having been said, that is the only situation that I can see a coach doing it.

JV is a developmental team for future Varsity players. If a senior is not good enough to make the varsity team, they shouldn't be playing. If the senior was serious about playing basketball, he would have started playing earlier in his high school years. A senior should not knock an underclassman out of playing time on the JV team.

I am in agreement with you. If you have senior that is not capable of helping your Varsity team significantly, why take up time that your younger players could use to develop and get better?

I think we are talking about teenage kids here, you are only in high school once and if a kid decides he wants to play and be a part of the team whats the problem. Let him know his time will be limited and if he agrees then everything is OK. Don't get carried away telling kids not to play, don't loose sight of what high school sports is about.

And then at the end of the year issue him a participation trophy.

So it would be okay to take a varsity spot and "deprive" the younger player who has been working all that time a chance to develop if the senior is a stud player? According to the discussion if he wanted to play, regardless of talent, he shouldn't play his senior year only?

I think we are talking about teenage kids here, you are only in high school once and if a kid decides he wants to play and be a part of the team whats the problem. Let him know his time will be limited and if he agrees then everything is OK. Don't get carried away telling kids not to play, don't loose sight of what high school sports is about.

I like this thinking. Except, it is hard to generalize. A program loaded with kids where there are cuts would normally lean to cutting seniors that have no chance to play. If the program is short of numbers, it benefits the team and the kid to be able to play JV.