Unexpected State Champions from the Past?

Rat34

I don't know I would have to say both. New Cath was the top team up here that year after they beat us in the regular season. We won 15-6 in the playoffs. Actually I think that was the game that Beechwood started their dominateion or however you spell it over New Cath until the 2000's.

Nope, they started their domination of NewCath in the '91 playoffs when Berger and Co. smoked us 41-0.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 1990 AAA Ashland team did not get much respect from the central and western part of the state throughout the year. But they knew they were good. With only 1 loss that year and a few key injuries at the time they followed through on their goal of a state championship.

:dancingpa :dancingpa :dancingpa :dancingpa

Danville winning the AAA title in 1984 (knocked off top ranked CovCath in first round.)

Are you sure about that ranking?

I'm pretty confident that Danville was ranked #1 most of that year in AAA.

They had made the regional finals the year before, losing 21-3 if memory serves, to eventual champ Conner. They returned practically the entire squad.

Going 13-0, Danville that year was dominant and I remember they didn't just knock off Cov Cath they pounded them something like 28-0. 1984 might have been a surprise in NKY but it was expected in Central KY and most of the rest of the Commonwealth. :thumb:

Clark beat Boone, Trinity, and St. X back to back to back. That was during a really strong run of teams for Boone. I think it was the first time Clark had beaten Boone. Trinity and X were Trinity and X. That was an amazing run.

I don't think anyone but people in Clark County knew what was going to happen that year because that team didn't get any publicity coming into the year, if any of the Lexington or Louisville schools had a team like that coming back that's all you would have heard about all summer. However, there was nothing said about GRC. They were a run away boulder and the momentum just kept growing and growing.

Are you sure about that ranking?

I'm pretty confident that Danville was ranked #1 most of that year in AAA.

They had made the regional finals the year before, losing 21-3 if memory serves, to eventual champ Conner. They returned practically the entire squad.

Going 13-0, Danville that year was dominant and I remember they didn't just knock off Cov Cath they pounded them something like 28-0. 1984 might have been a surprise in NKY but it was expected in Central KY and most of the rest of the Commonwealth. :thumb:

It was a long, long time ago but I am pretty sure CovCath entered the final week of regular season play ranked first in AAA. I know Danville beat up the Colonels in the first round of the playoffs. I'll do a little checking. Thanks for the follow up on Danville. :thumb:

Trinity "upsetting" Boone Co. Shuan Alexander's senior year was sort of a suprise. I believe Boone pretty much dominated everyone that year behind the power of Alexander.

Another that I saw on here and have to agree with was the 83' AAA State Championship team at Conner. I know not many people expected them to roll on to the Carpet and win the big one. It was a great win for the school and they can still claim to be the only team in NKY 4A who owns a state title.

They didnt win state, but the williamsburg team from last year made it to the region title with somewhere around 21 players. People everywhere had to be suprised at the year that this team had. They finished the regular season at 10-0 before losing in the regional championship game to a very good pikeville team.