Unexpected State Champions from the Past?

Rat34

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was the biggest shocker ever IMO!
Bourbon's postseason run through the region was the big shocker ... by the time they reached the finals, their winning the title came as no surprise. Caldwell's win was one of the biggest title-game upsets I can remember.

I don't remember much about high school football in the late 80s-early 90s but was Clark County state championship an unexpected win or were they just that good that year? I remember watching the Lexington news channels coverage of their postgame celebration the next day in Clark County.

Clark beat Boone, Trinity, and St. X back to back to back. That was during a really strong run of teams for Boone. I think it was the first time Clark had beaten Boone. Trinity and X were Trinity and X. That was an amazing run.

Caldwell County upset Danville to win the 2A title in 1998. Best I recall, the Litratings had them as a 25-point underdog. It was one of those years when the east side of the state was convinced that the real championship game was played in the semifinals ... kinda like the last few years here. ;)

Normally, we are right. ;):D

Clark beat Boone, Trinity, and St. X back to back to back. That was during a really strong run of teams for Boone. I think it was the first time Clark had beaten Boone. Trinity and X were Trinity and X. That was an amazing run.

Correct on all counts, but this wasn't an unexpected title run. The Cardinals were unreal good that season and ranked right at the top of AAAA all season long. I think they finished in the USA Today top 25. :thumb:

Shelby County came from under the radar to win the 1987 AAAA title. Big surprise.

Danville winning the AAA title in 1984 (knocked off top ranked CovCath in first round.)

Highlands winning the 1992 AAA title (CovCath was getting national rec., had beaten Moeller, and cruised past the Birds in the regular season meeting).

Conner in 1983. Didn't they kind of sneak up on people?

Shelby County came from under the radar to win the 1987 AAAA title. Big surprise.

Danville winning the AAA title in 1984 (knocked off top ranked CovCath in first round.)

Highlands winning the 1992 AAA title (CovCath was getting national rec., had beaten Moeller, and cruised past the Birds in the regular season meeting).

Conner in 1983. Didn't they kind of sneak up on people?

Cov Cath was loaded that year. I don't remember the score of the first game between these two teams but I know it was raining and Cov Cath won. There were 2 Wrs for Cov Cath who were twin brothers. I can't remember their names but one of them caught a 98 yard touchdown pass from Adam McCormick. I thought Cov Cath won state after beating Moeller and Highlands. I heard some Cov Cath fans were booking their hotel in Bell County. If you remember Cov Cath beat a great Beechwood team 53-9. That was our only loss of the season. That was how good this team was.

Cov Cath was loaded that year. I don't remember the score of the first game between these two teams but I know it was raining and Cov Cath won. There were 2 Wrs for Cov Cath who were twin brothers. I can't remember their names but one of them caught a 98 yard touchdown pass from Adam McCormick. I thought Cov Cath won state after beating Moeller and Highlands. I heard some Cov Cath fans were booking their hotel in Bell County. If you remember Cov Cath beat a great Beechwood team 53-9. That was our only loss of the season. That was how good this team was.

I know, I remember all of the above. :thumb:

No doubt that Bourbon County was the biggest in my 20 years of watching high school football. They had some players but no one expected the 4th place team in the region with Danville, Boyle, Lex. Cath, Harrison to go past even the first round. It was a surprise they even made the playoffs. They won the first playoff game at Somerset in overtime had to beat Boyle at their place and beat Lex. Cath the following week; then they knocked off Lawrence in the semi-finals. What a thrill it must have been for those players and coaches and parents. :dancingpa

:dancingpa