Unexpected State Champions from the Past?

Rat34

I would like to hear everyone's thoughts on past teams that won the state championship, that most people believed could not.

Please list the year and obvioulsy the team.

Good luck to all the NKY teams this Friday and good luck to all you deer hunters as well. Saturday is opening day for modern gun season!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rat without a doubt one team was your 96 Beechwood team. I remember watching Harrodsburg come on the field. They were huge they looked like a 4a team. I didn't think you guys had a chance. But like everyone knows Beechwood won 21-14 in overtime.

Thanks for the compliment...That was an amazing game to say the least. I didn't mean to make this post with our team in mind, but I just thought that it brought up a good question.

Thanks for the compliment...That was an amazing game to say the least. I didn't mean to make this post with our team in mind, but I just thought that it brought up a good question.

I would also say the 93 Beechwood team. We were 2-3 after we lost to New Cath. We weren't even ranked in the top ten in the AP Poll at the start of the playoffs. We got our revenge on New Cath in the playoffs. Wwe then beat Pikeville and Bardstown for the title. Bardstown was undefeated and ranked #1 in Class A all year long.

Caldwell County upset Danville to win the 2A title in 1998. Best I recall, the Litratings had them as a 25-point underdog. It was one of those years when the east side of the state was convinced that the real championship game was played in the semifinals ... kinda like the last few years here. ;)

I would also say the 93 Beechwood team. We were 2-3 after we lost to New Cath. We weren't even ranked in the top ten in the AP Poll at the start of the playoffs. We got our revenge on New Cath in the playoffs. Wwe then beat Pikeville and Bardstown for the title. Bardstown was undefeated and ranked #1 in Class A all year long.

I couldn't agree with you more about the 1993 team. That game was amazing. The way you guys pretty much shut down William Redd and Jake Gabbard's huge interception to seal the game....That was an awesome game to watch!

Caldwell County upset Danville to win the 2A title in 1998. Best I recall, the Litratings had them as a 25-point underdog. It was one of those years when the east side of the state was convinced that the real championship game was played in the semifinals ... kinda like the last few years here. ;)

Has Caldwell done anything since then???

Has Caldwell done anything since then???
Not too much. Last week's win at Monroe County was only their second postseason win since they won the state title in 1998. The talent level has dropped off somewhat, and Fort Campbell and Trigg County have become the powerhouse programs in District 1. Caldwell is decent this year, but they won't get by Fort Campbell in the second round.

Honestly, was Beechwood really a Cinderella team or just one that was underrated because of a slow start? Especially since they had won the previous two state titles?

Mayfield won the 2A title in 1993, and was also 2-3 at midseason.

Honestly, was Beechwood really a Cinderella team or just one that was underrated because of a slow start? Especially since they had won the previous two state titles?

Mayfield won the 2A title in 1993, and was also 2-3 at midseason.

I don't know I would have to say both. New Cath was the top team up here that year after they beat us in the regular season. We won 15-6 in the playoffs. Actually I think that was the game that Beechwood started their dominateion or however you spell it over New Cath until the 2000's.

I don't remember much about high school football in the late 80s-early 90s but was Clark County state championship an unexpected win or were they just that good that year? I remember watching the Lexington news channels coverage of their postgame celebration the next day in Clark County.

I will also agree that the Cladwell County defeat of Danville was VERY shocking!!!