The Wishbone: Who still runs it?

spindoc

Anderson is a wishbone team.

Anderson isn't your typical wishbone team. They use the formation, but they're passing for over 200 yards a game. I don't think most people associate a "true" wishbone team with a significant passing game... Perhaps "modified wishbone" would better describe Anderson County...

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The wishbone offense is still alive and well in Kentucky high school football. Now, it's not as "cool" or "innovative" as all of the spread schemes, but it's still being ran and by some pretty dang good programs at that. Some of the following schools have already been named, but all of these either either run it as their main offense and/or it's a major part of it.

Monroe County(still running a strong dose of it)

Marion County (has been their base offense the last couple years)

Casey County (has and is a big part of theirs)

Boyle County (yes, the Rebels. They ran the 'Belly' series out of it last year- just ask LexCath about the regional finals. Boyle ran it down their throats until they were sick of it out of the bone).

LaRue County (did quite a bit last year, but have gone back to their true Delaware Wing-T this season)

Shelby Valley (new head coach Jeff Norman put it in for Valley's '09 season going 8-4. While taking their lumps this year, they are still running the bone to my knowledge.)

Bell County (wishbone, Power I, Unbalanced I, etc. Pick your poison with them, because they are going to give you all of those and then some)

Johnson Central (Matney is a wishbone freak. Runs it with the best of them)

Sheldon Clark (They'll open it up some, but still running the bone strong up in Inez. They rode it all the way to the state-semis last year)

Danville (Harp has gone to more of a flexone/pistol look out of the gun, but the Admirals will line up and run the bone at you in a heartbeat

Belfry (went back to back in 03 and 04 running the bone, and still do, a long with the flexbone, etc.)

Anderson County (dang near a full fledged wishbone team. I think another poster made a comment about them only being 'partial' because of their passing success, but they are >75% bone.

Bullitt East (Doug Preston implemented it mid year in '08 taking his Chargers to Cardinal Stadium where they fell short of a State Championship to Bell County by 1 yard. Still running it.)

Those are all of the ones I can think of right now that sill run the wishbone to some extent (more than just on short yardage and goal line). With some, scheming for football has become worse than women and their fashion trends. As another poster said, the wishbone and any other 3-back/traditional offense be it the Wing-T, Flexbone, Power-I, etc. can be very good for those teams with below average talent that buys into an old school, phyical brand of football. However, if you have a talented bunch of kids, it can be absolutely lethal. The biggest myth is that you have to have lineman averaging 250+ across the front to run the wishbone or any of the above mentioned offenses; which is about as ludacris as thinking you can run a Spread/Chuck and Duck it 45x's a game with 5'8 150 average athletes who are lucky to run a 5.0 40 playing WR.

Meade Co ran a lot of bone down the stretch last year as well. I am not sure if they are doing it this year or not.

Meade County still runs the bone occasionally; and they do it well when they do it! Tough running backs, line is physical and comes off low and hard like a bone team's should, QB(s) a threat to run just like the backs, and the capability to play-action pass -- a real killer when having to defend a good running team.

The bone (or stack-I or power-I) is GREAT for melting the clock by slowly moving the chains with consistent 3-4 yard gains. Allows the team to keep the ball out of the hands of an opponent that can score quickly and gets frustrated when it has to stay on the sidelines, watching.

We are going to be in for a STEADY dose of this tomorrow night.

Sseveral years ago when Gerry Dinardo was the off. coord. for Bill McCartney at Colorado, The Buffalos ran the Triple out of Power I. They could line up and run a traditional Power I, they could run Belly, and then they could run the Triple. Very effective, and they also had a very diverse play action passing game. I was coaching at Boone County at the time and spent a lot of time with Coach DiNardo and we installed it very effectively. We actually ran the option at BCHS when Mike Lay was QB, Brandon Black was TB and Bryson Warner was at LB/FB. That team went 10-2 and lost to Clark County in the Playoffs. CC went on to become State Champs that year.

Edited by Ram
Rule 13