Mr. Versatility, Northern Kentucky

mexitucky

Who are some of the more verstile players, those guys who can impact a game no matter where they are on the field. I'm not talking potential here, I'm talking players that are actually doing it this season.

The smaller schools will have a lot of candidates due to the numbers crunch. The bigger schools may not have to demand as much from individual players, but there are some out there. From what I have seen this season:

Jake Cain, NewCath: Each game you will see him in the slot, at RB, and at wing. At each position he is a threat. When you take into account his downfield blocking, he makes NewCath a real threat on O. On D, he plays a monster role, floating b/n outside linebacker and strong safety. Once Kyle Tallon returns, Cain, will be able to roam even more.

(Please help me w/ names here), but the FB/Slot from Ryle. This guy needs the ball more. You have to find, I believe #18, every time Ryle breaks the huddle b/c he can bust it out of the backfield, in the screen game, or one-on-one w/ a linebacker in the passing game.

Beechwood has two sophomores that fit Mr. Versatile to a tee.

Max Nussbaum is starting at LB, gets reps at RB, FB and WR and also shares punting duties.

Gage Erdman starts at DB and gets reps at RB and WR on offense. He also is a key return man.

Both these guys are making a big impact in a lot of ways and they are both sophomores.

Mason County isn't exactly in NKY, except for those who think of it as Fort Thomas South.:D However, I'll take the liberty of naming two of the football Royals.

SR WR/K Jordan Gilbert. Team's leading receiver, will play sparingly at DB if called upon late in a close game. Kicks to the end zone maybe 8 times out of 10, but is deadly on placing short kicks if that's the game plan.

JR RB/LB Josh Harris. If he stays healthy he will shatter all the Mason County rushing records. A ferocious hitter on defense; also can serve as the backup QB. Named the top state prospect for 2012 by Demling, I believe.

Obviously, Elliott fits this mold for Ryle.

(Please help me w/ names here), but the FB/Slot from Ryle. This guy needs the ball more. You have to find, I believe #18, every time Ryle breaks the huddle b/c he can bust it out of the backfield, in the screen game, or one-on-one w/ a linebacker in the passing game.

You are referring to Deion Mullins. You are right, he is very good and very fast. That being said, it would be hard to justify taking too many touches away from Elliott.

Obviously, Elliott fits this mold for Ryle.

You are referring to Deion Mullins. You are right, he is very good and very fast. That being said, it would be hard to justify taking too many touches away from Elliott.

I'm not arguing that. Elliott is much faster this year than last and can hit the home run at any time. However, he gets used a lot on D. Besides giving him a blow, Mullins can also hit the home run at any time. He should have the ball in his hands at least 10 times a game w/ 7 of those times putting him into space to make a play.

I'm not arguing that. Elliott is much faster this year than last and can hit the home run at any time. However, he gets used a lot on D. Besides giving him a blow, Mullins can also hit the home run at any time. He should have the ball in his hands at least 10 times a game w/ 7 of those times putting him into space to make a play.

Good point, mexitucky. Deion is a very good playmaker and will hopefully get more touches. Great blocker, too.

SR WR/K Jordan Gilbert. Team's leading receiver, will play sparingly at DB if called upon late in a close game. Kicks to the end zone maybe 8 times out of 10, but is deadly on placing short kicks if that's the game plan.

JR RB/LB Josh Harris. If he stays healthy he will shatter all the Mason County rushing records. A ferocious hitter on defense; also can serve as the backup QB. Named the top state prospect for 2012 by Demling, I believe.

Exactly the two I was going to mention. Any time they are on the field, either one of them can turn the game around in one play. Harris has good hands as well and catches a few passes.

Edited by beverlybubba

A few others that haven't been mentioned:

Bobby Leonard- Dixie (CB/LB, WR/RB)

Bobby makes an impact on both sides of the ball every game. He has become one of the better receivers in nky and on defense you always hear his name called because of his knack for the ball.

Damian Oden- Holmes (WR/RB/CB/S)

Plain and simple, this kid does it all. He not only uses his 4.4 speed at WR and RB on offense, but you also see him play everywhere but DL on defense. Damian is another nky kid with D1 looks right now. (Mostly Ivy Leagues Schools because of his 4.4 GPA) He also returns kickoffs and punt returns.

DJ Slater- Bellevue (RB, LB)

Kid plays the whole game on both sides of the ball and is Bellevue's best player on both sides.

I think you could also add Kelly and Hightchew of Newcath to the list as well. Those two are all over the field the entire game.

Good point, mexitucky. Deion is a very good playmaker and will hopefully get more touches. Great blocker, too.

I REALLY like Deion and his game. Have had the chance to speak with Ryle's video cordinator a few times over the past two years and he always tells me how Deion is easily one of the most athletic kids to ever suit up for the Raiders and that the kid has a chance to be very special once he puts it all together.