Bow season opens tomorrow

1968isaac

Seen 3 does and a big body 6pt this evening. No shot opportunities. Don't think I would shoot the 6 (to early), but I'll definately nail one of the does when a good opportunity presents itself..... Thanks for the tips Whack & WR. I have processed and cut up my own deer for 20+ years, but I always like to learn how others do it.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might as well take that 6pt out. Not a buck you want hangin around especially an old one. Make some room for big daddy....hope to get out this weekend but it's a delicate high wire act for me. I need some sirloin's before grillin' season's over. Temps have cooled in am considerably and deer should be more active in the later am and earlier pm. -City Boy

Absolutely. The earlier the better. Bacteria is a result of meat spoiling due to excessive heat or by fecal contamination. Keep your processing clean and retrieve ASAP and you'll be fine. Early season it's important to get it to the fridge quickly. Once there' date=' you can store it for about a week, by then you should have your meat processed, wrapped airtight and stored in the freezer for this coming winter. By the way Woodsy, Ky afield makes an awesome deer processing video. Some good ones' on youtube as well. Most folks tear a deer up and waste alot of good meat on hamburger and jerky. There are many wonderful cuts of steak to be had on a big ole' bruiser. Look for the City Boyz video this coming spring for our recap of 2010 and we'll have a processing video as well.[/quote']

The only reason I don't process them myself is I don't have a vaccum sealer. One of these days I am just going to bite the bullet and get one. For what I pay in processing it would pay for itself in a couple of deer. You definitely want to get the meat in a walk fridge or someplace cool as quickly as possible. After field dressing I always hose them out to 1. clean them and 2. cool them off as quickly as possible.

Nice 10pt cruisin' behind the house. Gonna move the camera to hopefully capture him in photo. Funny story, my midget (11y.o.) who shoots his bow nearly everyday has learned a valuable lesson this pre-season. I kept telling him to bring those arrows inside and don't leave them in the block. So, lazy now has 5 arrows with field tips rusted permanently to the insert of his arrows. Instead of trying to go to the trouble of heating them and getting the insert out, I made him wait and we'd just buy new ones. He couldn't hunt because he couldn't get his broadheads in. So, yesterday we got him some new ones and last night he shot them, and yes, they were safely stored in the garage before dark.:lol:

The only reason I don't process them myself is I don't have a vaccum sealer. One of these days I am just going to bite the bullet and get one. For what I pay in processing it would pay for itself in a couple of deer. You definitely want to get the meat in a walk fridge or someplace cool as quickly as possible. After field dressing I always hose them out to 1. clean them and 2. cool them off as quickly as possible.

You don't need a vacuum sealer. Use freezer wrap plastic, put your cuts on the paper, wrap it and squeeze one end to get all the air out (won't hurt the meat at all) and wrap the other end. What you'll have is a couple tightly packed steaks and finish it off with some butcher paper and tape, date and enjoy at a later date. No need to wash meat. Shouldn't be a reason you get it dirty. Hang the deer, skin it, and take the meat off the bone, put it in freezer bags, drop it in a cooler with ice and take home to process. Wet wrapped meat will just result in freezer burn. Butterfly the back straps for steak, make some roasts out of the hind qtrs and take the rest for hamburger. Just at the end of the backstrap is the sirloin. One of the best cuts just above the hind leg. enjoy.

Nice 10pt cruisin' behind the house. Gonna move the camera to hopefully capture him in photo. Funny story, my midget (11y.o.) who shoots his bow nearly everyday has learned a valuable lesson this pre-season. I kept telling him to bring those arrows inside and don't leave them in the block. So, lazy now has 5 arrows with field tips rusted permanently to the insert of his arrows. Instead of trying to go to the trouble of heating them and getting the insert out, I made him wait and we'd just buy new ones. He couldn't hunt because he couldn't get his broadheads in. So, yesterday we got him some new ones and last night he shot them, and yes, they were safely stored in the garage before dark.:lol:

Now that, sir, is proper fathering :thumb:

Okay, now here's a tale. I'm sitting here just now watching the Reds. It's just stopped raining, matter of fact, pouring. In comes my 11y.o. fuming mad. Half soaked. We have a blind behind the house, 100yds actually. He says, "I am done!!". So, not in tune with him yet, I said "With what?".....So, here goes, he says that he was in the blind and he saw the local 10 point waik right down the trail to him. He stops and licks the mineral block we have 28 yds from the blind. He says he got his bow, was getting ready to draw on the deer when out from the opposite direction pops a dog. Of course the deer bolts out of there and the dog runs in front of the blind under our feeder and stops. He says he was fuming mad and shot the dog,,,,right in the neck. I know, kinda far fetched, considering I can nearly see all this take place if I'm paying attention any at all. So, I go outside, and guess what......There is a dog with one of his new arrow planted firmly in his neck. Didn't pass through and the broadhead buried in the opposite shoulder. :eek:

Not sure about all the deer talk, but I'll be dipped if he didn't puncture a dog that ruined his day.:lol:

Okay, now here's a tale. I'm sitting here just now watching the Reds. It's just stopped raining, matter of fact, pouring. In comes my 11y.o. fuming mad. Half soaked. We have a blind behind the house, 100yds actually. He says, "I am done!!". So, not in tune with him yet, I said "With what?".....So, here goes, he says that he was in the blind and he saw the local 10 point waik right down the trail to him. He stops and licks the mineral block we have 28 yds from the blind. He says he got his bow, was getting ready to draw on the deer when out from the opposite direction pops a dog. Of course the deer bolts out of there and the dog runs in front of the blind under our feeder and stops. He says he was fuming mad and shot the dog,,,,right in the neck. I know, kinda far fetched, considering I can nearly see all this take place if I'm paying attention any at all. So, I go outside, and guess what......There is a dog with one of his new arrow planted firmly in his neck. Didn't pass through and the broadhead buried in the opposite shoulder. :eek:

Not sure about all the deer talk, but I'll be dipped if he didn't puncture a dog that ruined his day.:lol:

Seriously? I sincerely hope this was a joke.

Wish I could have started on opening day. Father in law took a nasty fall from a ladder from 15 ft. He's 70 but in top physical condition. Had to have his hip replaced, lost his spleen and now has pneumonia. Very difficult to say the least. This issue has been going on for 3 weeks today. Hope I get to get out, missed out on some vital scouting too. Good luck to all of you.

Sorry to hear that doc, my prayers are with your father in law and your family.

Sorry to hear that doc, my prayers are with your father in law and your family.

Thanks OR. He's finally at home. Still a long recovery, but pneumonia has all but gone, loaded him up on meds and sent his grouchy (which means he's nearly normal) rearend home. Sees his ortho doc today about the hip. Can't wait til mowing season is over now that I have 2 to mow.

It's called cruelty to animals and is punishable by law.

You know what? I had a feeling you would have this reply, so are you ready?

First off WnS, I understand you're a CityBoy(z) and have bright hopes and perhaps a different outlook on hunting within the confines of city limits. If I am mistaken please forgive me. If not, here goes. I live in the country. As a matter of fact, I've owned 4 different farms from as small as 33 acres to as large as 600 acres. I've shot more than likely a dozen dogs that have been strays and have chased deer through my property either during deer season or other times of the year. Now, with that being said, in the country, it's commonplace for folks not from the country simply to drop dogs off out here. Perhaps you can see the cruelty to animals in that. I know, unfathomable. But it happens alot. For instance, I had a lady who lived up the road from me that had no less than 10 dogs living (if that's what you call it) at her house. They weren't dogs you see in the Westminster. Strays who have had pups with one another and live by any means possible. They tear trash up and down by her house/trailer, they bit the neighbor above her when he tried to run them out of his garage one night. (He has since shot 2) The smell from her house once was so bad when she "went to visit the kids" for over a month and I'm quite sure that there were dead dogs trapped in that house. 2 of them once were in the creek feeding on a deer that had washed up in a high water incident and when my kids unknowingly walked by them they nearly bit them and chased them to the house. (They are now in a shallow unmarked grave). So, WnS, I'm not sure what you have in mind when you think of someone whacking a nicely groomed poodle who may have wondered off the leash when Aunt Penelope was taking it out for a tinkle, but here in the country, when you see a dog tooling around in the woods he's searching for something to eat. Not unlike a coyote. And I choose to eliminate them. I will end with this, on the rare occasion a dog is in the same situation, but is wearing a collar, I never consider shooting that animal. In fact, if I can, I try to corral the dog and find the owner if possible.

In the city, perhaps it's a different story where we are.