Bow season opens tomorrow

1968isaac

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 does under the stand late yesterday afternoon, just past shooting light. Of course, spooked them climbing down :irked:. Guess I could have stayed the night....

Sat in the stand from 4-dusk....All deer started moving within 1/2 hr of dusk. It was like all of a sudden the forest came alive.... Tonight I'll hit the tree around 6pm. I need some straps and it's time to slice'n'ice' We're the City Boyz and will have our video out at the end of the season......:banana:

Suprised no thread started yet. Anyone climbing, sweatin' and swattin' mosquitos tomorrow? Or in Doc's case, sittin' in a hay bale...:D

Wish I could have started on opening day. Father in law took a nasty fall from a ladder from 15 ft. He's 70 but in top physical condition. Had to have his hip replaced, lost his spleen and now has pneumonia. Very difficult to say the least. This issue has been going on for 3 weeks today. Hope I get to get out, missed out on some vital scouting too. Good luck to all of you.

Wish I could have started on opening day. Father in law took a nasty fall from a ladder from 15 ft. He's 70 but in top physical condition. Had to have his hip replaced, lost his spleen and now has pneumonia. Very difficult to say the least. This issue has been going on for 3 weeks today. Hope I get to get out, missed out on some vital scouting too. Good luck to all of you.

Sorry to hear that. Best wishes to him for a speedy recovery.

Sat in the stand from 4-dusk....All deer started moving within 1/2 hr of dusk. It was like all of a sudden the forest came alive.... Tonight I'll hit the tree around 6pm. I need some straps and it's time to slice'n'ice' We're the City Boyz and will have our video out at the end of the season......:banana:

Same thing for me that day, deer moved late. Purposely started later today (bout 6PM) and bumped one on the way in. :irked: Speaking of straps, I always freeze my venison for 30 days or more to eliminate any possible bacteria. Do you ever eat it fresh?

Same thing for me that day, deer moved late. Purposely started later today (bout 6PM) and bumped one on the way in. :irked: Speaking of straps, I always freeze my venison for 30 days or more to eliminate any possible bacteria. Do you ever eat it fresh?

Freezing doesn't kill most bacteria, it just slows or delays the growth of it. Once you thraw the meat it will continue to grow. The only way to kill it is cooking it properly. But unless the meat isn't handled properly or the deer had disease or infections you shouldn't have a problem with it.

Freezing doesn't kill most bacteria, it just slows or delays the growth of it. Once you thraw the meat it will continue to grow. The only way to kill it is cooking it properly. But unless the meat isn't handled properly or the deer had disease or infections you shouldn't have a problem with it.

I make jerky out of 2 or 3 deer each year. Following the harvest, I am quick to quarter and freeze, for the 30 days. Then I thaw, grind, add ingredients, and into the dehydrator. Do you think I am taking un-necessary steps? If I eliminate the freezing, I don't think the dehydrator would be considered thoroughly cooking. As far as I can tell, the deer are always healthy. How do you do it WR?

I make jerky out of 2 or 3 deer each year. Following the harvest, I am quick to quarter and freeze, for the 30 days. Then I thaw, grind, add ingredients, and into the dehydrator. Do you think I am taking un-necessary steps? If I eliminate the freezing, I don't think the dehydrator would be considered thoroughly cooking. As far as I can tell, the deer are always healthy. How do you do it WR?

If you don't have time to make the jerky right a way you need to freeze but you really aren't doing anything about bacteria by freezing it. If the bacteria is there it will be there when it thaws. I normally take my deer to a processor to have it cut up. They put the cuts in vaccum sealed bags for freezing. I freeze it just to keep it from spoiling and eat on it through out the year.

I know a lot of guys that hang their deer for a couple of days before doing anything with it. You obvioulsy can't do that in 80 degree temps but when it gets cooler it doesn't hurt (like in the 40's).

Absolutely. The earlier the better. Bacteria is a result of meat spoiling due to excessive heat or by fecal contamination. Keep your processing clean and retrieve ASAP and you'll be fine. Early season it's important to get it to the fridge quickly. Once there, you can store it for about a week, by then you should have your meat processed, wrapped airtight and stored in the freezer for this coming winter. By the way Woodsy, Ky afield makes an awesome deer processing video. Some good ones' on youtube as well. Most folks tear a deer up and waste alot of good meat on hamburger and jerky. There are many wonderful cuts of steak to be had on a big ole' bruiser. Look for the City Boyz video this coming spring for our recap of 2010 and we'll have a processing video as well.