Did Ken Griffey Jr. take steroids?

Did Ken Griffey Jr. take steroids?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Did Ken Griffey Jr. take steroids?

• Yes.
    • No.

I agree with these two assessments. I voted he did use steroids. It just doesn't make sense that everyone was using, especially up in Seattle, but Griffey was goody two shoes? Not buying it.

I think some of you also are failing to realize that while PED's make your body strong in some areas, other areas of your body tend to get weakened. I think if you take the time to do research you'll find that torn hamstrings are very common amongst PED abusers.

I like Griffey and always have. Honestly, PED's in baseball never bothered me at all. I have a hard time believing anyone was clean during an era when it was open knowledge that you had to use to keep up with the game. If he was that good that he didn't need them then when everyone else was using them then IMO he would still be playing now.

Yeah, and Griffey was also known as a guy who kept to himself in the clubhouse....Maybe that's a reason why, he didn't want to get caught up in it. I find the "everyone else was doing it, so he had to have done it" line lame. If that's the best you guys can come up with, you have no leg to stand on.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, and Griffey was also known as a guy who kept to himself in the clubhouse....Maybe that's a reason why, he didn't want to get caught up in it. I find the "everyone else was doing it, so he had to have done it" line lame. If that's the best you guys can come up with, you have no leg to stand on.

Or perhaps since he did keep to himself thats why no one has turned him in. Maybe he didn't tell anyone he was doing it or show anyone else how to do it. And that isn't the best we have come up with. There have been several other valid points brought up during the discussion.

Or perhaps since he did keep to himself thats why no one has turned him in. Maybe he didn't tell anyone he was doing it or show anyone else how to do it. And that isn't the best we have come up with. There have been several other valid points brought up during the discussion.

That's extremely unlikely, and you know it.

And that is all you have, since everyone else was doing it, he had to be. You guys have zero evidence to say he did so other than that.

I'm still waiting to hear a valid reason as to why, if he did them, his name has never once been mentioned with steroids. Actually, I take that back, his name is always mentioned with steriods as the one guy that everyone knows didn't take them....well everyone, but the slueths here on BGP....

That's extremely unlikely, and you know it.

And that is all you have, since everyone else was doing it, he had to be. You guys have zero evidence to say he did so other than that.

That isn't all I've presented. What about the power number spikes when everything else stayed the same? What about his tendons/ligaments breaking down in his early 30's? What about the large number of Mariners linked to steroids while he was there and his sudden decline when he left Seattle? Give me a reason why all of those facts should be discounted--except for the fact that everyone liked Griffey and wants him to be the one who did things the right way.

And besides, outside of Jose Canseco name me some other players who have come forward and outed any of their former teammates? Give me some examples--except for getting caught up in the Balco mess who even sold out Barry Bonds? And most of his teammates couldn't stand him.

That isn't all I've presented. What about the power number spikes when everything else stayed the same? What about his tendons/ligaments breaking down in his early 30's? What about the large number of Mariners linked to steroids while he was there and his sudden decline when he left Seattle? Give me a reason why all of those facts should be discounted--except for the fact that everyone liked Griffey and wants him to be the one who did things the right way.

And besides, outside of Jose Canseco name me some other players who have come forward and outed any of their former teammates? Give me some examples--except for getting caught up in the Balco mess who even sold out Barry Bonds? And most of his teammates couldn't stand him.

You refuse to believe any alternatives other than him using steroids, when those have all been debunked by very easily believable reasons in this thread.

What decline when he left Seattle?

99 with Mariners: .285 avg, 26 2B, 48 HRs, 134 RBI, .960 OPS

00 with Reds: .271 avg, 22 2B, 40 HRs, 118 RBI, .942 OPS

Not much of a decline, and of course you ignore the fact that he switched leagues to the NL which is more of a pitchers league, and he played in 15 less games. After that 1st year with the Reds, Griffey was never healthy again.

You refuse to believe any alternatives other than him using steroids, when those have all been debunked by very easily believable reasons in this thread.

I've said that I voted that he didn't use steroids. Mainly because he was one of my favorite players and also because there is no "smoking gun" but I also have to admit that for the reasons I've posted I do have some doubts. And no, if they were easily debunked I'd be among the first to say that I'm 100% sure he was clean. The fact is, he displayed traits that very well could have been caused by steroid use. However, due to his personality and the fact he wasn't hulked up looking (and a lot of players implicated with steroids weren't) he's given a pass by fans. There's just been too many other players that have disappointed me for me to ignore evidence that he might have used. I'm in the, I hope he didn't but it wouldn't shock me group.

What decline when he left Seattle?

99 with Mariners: .285 avg, 26 2B, 48 HRs, 134 RBI, .960 OPS

00 with Reds: .271 avg, 22 2B, 40 HRs, 118 RBI, .942 OPS

Not much of a decline, and of course you ignore the fact that he switched leagues to the NL which is more of a pitchers league, and he played in 15 less games. After that 1st year with the Reds, Griffey was never healthy again.

Maybe his body broke down quickly like some of the others when they quit using?

One argument is that he used them because he broke down after 30. That can not be disputed, he most certainly did.

The other argument is that he hasn't been "outed" by anyone. That can not be disputed, he most certainly has not.

You can logically look at his career and think he did or did not use something. No one may ever really know.