Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Did Ken Griffey Jr. take steroids?

Did Ken Griffey Jr. take steroids? 54 members have voted

  1. 1. Did Ken Griffey Jr. take steroids?

    • Yes.
      9%
      5
    • No.
      90%
      49

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

The tragedy here is we are even having the discussion. Guilt by association. Any player that played during the steroids era will have to face this type of speculation. That is why I often wondered why players that weren't juicing didn't speak out against it. Maybe everyone was juicing so they all kept quiet. But as to Griffey, I read an article once that said the biggest tip off to someone using steroids is weight gain. If a player suddenly one off season gains 20 pounds, that was a huge indicator of steroid use. Did Griffey ever have an off season weight gain like that? I don't know but it would be something to look up if you were really interested in this. I wouldn't say he never took steroids because it is possible I guess during one of his injuries over the year steroids were actually prescribed for healing. But I don't think he ever took them for performance enhancement only.

 

By the way, this is one of the most lopsided polls I have seen on here.

I voted NO but had it been an option would have voted, "NO, but it would not shock me the least bit if he did."

 

Good points.

  • Replies 116
  • Views 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

barrybonds.jpg

 

Young Bonds ----------------- Juiced Bonds

 

2-101.jpg&t=1mcgwire-juice.jpg

 

Young McGwire ------------------- Juiced McGwire

 

sammy-sosa-before-after_steroids.jpg

 

Young Sosa -------------------------------- Juiced Sosa

 

griffey2.jpgKen-Griffey-Jr..jpg

 

Young Griffey ----------------------------------------- Juiced Griffey??

A-Rod had that title for a while and.....

 

A-Rod was a physical specimen....Junior was a small guy.

A lot of guys took PED's or HGH and aren't "specimens". Especially if it's being taken for recovery more than building muscle.

Like Mustang said, Arod was always ripped. Plus, there's no way after all those years of watching his dad play and do it the right way that Junior would decide, "Man, I need steroids."

Re the posted pics, Junior doesn't look that different to me and maybe that is why you posted the pics - to show Junior is not much bigger now than he was then. I think Junior was bigger as he got older but do you know anyone at age 40 that isn't bigger than they were at age 20? Unless they are a big distance runner, they are bigger. Rapid weight gain is the big indicator of steroids use.

What grounds is this argument even based off of? Cause the guy got older in his career and had a few injuries. Oh, and also gained some weight.... Like all normal people do when they get older!!

What grounds is this argument even based off of? Cause the guy got older in his career and had a few injuries. Oh, and also gained some weight.... Like all normal people do when they get older!!

It is the fact Griffey played during the steroid era and hit a multitude of homeruns. Fair or not, everyone is subject to scrutiny due to how many people were juicing during this time.

  • Author
How about this. He played on Mariner teams with Alex Rodriguez, David Segui, Shane Monahan, Glenallen Hill, Ryan Franklin, and Todd Williams—all admitted steroid users. Former teammates such as Ron Villone, David Bell and Josias Manzanillo were named in the Mitchell report. Throw in suspected users Bret Boone and Jay Buhner. That doesn't make him guilty but does show that steriods were readily available in the Seattle clubhouse.

 

He had power spikes just like other steroid users. He went from 3 straight seasons of homer totals in the 20s all the way to 45 homers in one season. He went from a season in which he hit .258 with 7 doubles and 17 homers in 72 games to a season in which he hit .303 with 26 doubles and 49 homers coming off of a broken wrist--an injury that usually decreases power for awhile.

 

His body broke down quickly in his early 30's. While some might suggest that proves he didn't take steroids that isn't necessarily the case. HGH seems to be the magic bullet that helped lots of sluggers prevent their bodies from breaking down. Meanwhile proven users or suspected users like Caminiti, McGwire, Garciaparra, Juan Gonzalez, Sosa and Richie Sexson seemed to break down quickly in their early to mid 30's.

I couldn't say it any better. To those of us who don't turn a blind eye there is definitely things that could raise an eyebrow.

 

I wonder how much different this poll would've been had he never played in Cincy. :sssh:

Re the posted pics, Junior doesn't look that different to me and maybe that is why you posted the pics - to show Junior is not much bigger now than he was then. I think Junior was bigger as he got older but do you know anyone at age 40 that isn't bigger than they were at age 20? Unless they are a big distance runner, they are bigger. Rapid weight gain is the big indicator of steroids use.

 

You're correct, my point was that Griffey hasn't beefed up like the others. I see absolutely no reason to believe he's done steroids. He's just a small, athletic guy with one of the smoothest swings I've ever seen in baseball. Always has been my favorite player and probably always will be.

I couldn't say it any better. To those of us who don't turn a blind eye there is definitely things that could raise an eyebrow.

 

I wonder how much different this poll would've been had he never played in Cincy. :sssh:

 

I'd say the results of the poll are pretty accurate to what they'd be on a nationwide one.

Let me just see if I understand this....Because he played in an era when lots of players were doing PEDs, and because he had a jump in numbers, even though his body didn't change in the slightest, he did steroids?

What about Chipper Jones and Jim Thome? They both had some numbers jumps earlier in their careers and started breaking down in their mid-30s just like Junior....I guess they did steroids too...

Let me just see if I understand this....Because he played in an era when lots of players were doing PEDs, and because he had a jump in numbers, even though his body didn't change in the slightest, he did steroids?

It does not mean he used steroids. But given when he played it opens up the door to ask questions. Just the sad reality of playing during that time. It is not fair to anyone that never used. Don't blame those that question, blame baseball as a whole for embracing the culture.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.