Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Did Ken Griffey Jr. take steroids?

Did Ken Griffey Jr. take steroids? 54 members have voted

  1. 1. Did Ken Griffey Jr. take steroids?

    • Yes.
      9%
      5
    • No.
      90%
      49

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

I'd say Nomar, Edgar, Kent, Walker, Gant, and Bonilla were all clean. Not sure about Mitchell because I really don't remember him very well. Buhner, I could have sworn has been linked to steroid use.

 

Here's a good list to go by. The date at the top of the page says 2006 but its updated with Volquez's suspension. The Steroid Era List Buhner is no where to be found, but I'd make a large wager that he used. As bad as I hate to admit it as a Red Sox fan I think Nomar used. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't want to have to bet that any of the ones I listed were clean. All of them had seasons/stats that make me suspicious. And that's just the names I came up with from looking at the league leaders from a couple of seasons.

  • Replies 116
  • Views 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Nomar used, I wonder if Mia did??

Look, I don't care if you believe me or not, but I went from an out of shape 160 to a very much in shape 175 in a little over 2 months.

 

As for Griffey, I meant over an entire offseason for him putting on that weight.

 

I don't doubt you put on that much weight, I am just saying it wasn't all muscle. The body just physically cannot grow that much muscle in that short of a period. With gains like that most of it is fat and water weight. That doesn't mean you didn't get alot stronger and in way better shape. About a 1/2 pound a week is about what you could expect if you worked out hard and had the right diet.

An interesting hypothetical to consider with steroids...If they were available back in the "clean" days, the days of Mays, Aaron, Banks, Williams, Musial, etc...How many of them do you think would've done them? I don't think the number would be too awful different from those of the steroid era.

 

Totally agree.

To say somebody 100% didn't use steroids is plain IGNORANT. I had a coach about 5 years ago who played in the Yankee farm system and made it all the way to triple A before getting injured give me this number. If he had to give an estimate and guess from his knowledge, 90%, that is NINETY out of 100, of professional baseball players took PED's in one form or another. So yes there is a chance he was in that 10% and I want to believe and hope he was, but there's no way to know for sure.

 

That stat is another reason why I don't like when people are chastised for steroids. Was it wrong? Yes. But EVERYBODY was doing it, including pitchers, so there's not that big of an edge for using PED's than the general thought.

That whole era is guilty till proven innocent for me. Nothing from that group of players suprises me. I knew it was going on when Mac/Sosa/Bonds etc were killing the ball. Baseball knew it. It's not like it was a suprise IMO. Griff is one I'd like to hope that wasn't but any big HR hitters of that era would have to prove innocent before I would think they didn't do it. Not popular I'm sure but put yourself in those guys shoes. If they were going to make the big bucks they had to keep up. Baseball created a monster and the players had to give in to keep up.

Compare Griffey's numbers in Seattle when he was around the other suspected steroid users and compare his numbers in Cincinnati when he wasn't around them. I honestly don't think he took them in Cincy. I would bet a check that he did in Seattle. Maybe not steroids but some type of PED that is not allowed today.

Compare Griffey's numbers in Seattle when he was around the other suspected steroid users and compare his numbers in Cincinnati when he wasn't around them. I honestly don't think he took them in Cincy. I would bet a check that he did in Seattle. Maybe not steroids but some type of PED that is not allowed today.

 

I never quite understood that, even with McGwire. If it wasn't illegal then, it shouldn't ever matter. Not saying that Griffey even did that.

It wasn't illegal in the league. That's why they have this whole mess. I think Scribe is spot on.

I can't believe people actually think he took them. Guilty by association? Give me a break..

  • Author
Compare Griffey's numbers in Seattle when he was around the other suspected steroid users and compare his numbers in Cincinnati when he wasn't around them. I honestly don't think he took them in Cincy. I would bet a check that he did in Seattle. Maybe not steroids but some type of PED that is not allowed today.
:thumb: :thumb:
How about this. He played on Mariner teams with Alex Rodriguez, David Segui, Shane Monahan, Glenallen Hill, Ryan Franklin, and Todd Williams—all admitted steroid users. Former teammates such as Ron Villone, David Bell and Josias Manzanillo were named in the Mitchell report. Throw in suspected users Bret Boone and Jay Buhner. That doesn't make him guilty but does show that steriods were readily available in the Seattle clubhouse.

 

He had power spikes just like other steroid users. He went from 3 straight seasons of homer totals in the 20s all the way to 45 homers in one season. He went from a season in which he hit .258 with 7 doubles and 17 homers in 72 games to a season in which he hit .303 with 26 doubles and 49 homers coming off of a broken wrist--an injury that usually decreases power for awhile.

 

His body broke down quickly in his early 30's. While some might suggest that proves he didn't take steroids that isn't necessarily the case. HGH seems to be the magic bullet that helped lots of sluggers prevent their bodies from breaking down. Meanwhile proven users or suspected users like Caminiti, McGwire, Garciaparra, Juan Gonzalez, Sosa and Richie Sexson seemed to break down quickly in their early to mid 30's.

 

I'm not saying Griffey did use steroids. I honestly hope he didn't, he was my favorite non-Red Sox player in my 20's and 30's. He did play in the steroid era however, and therefore shouldn't get a free pass just because of his likeabliity. Is there any legal evidence that he did take steroids? Not that we know of but there is also no clean tests that we can produce that proves he didn't. If I had to vote, I'd say he didn't. But I just couldn't be sure.

 

PED's won't help when you tear your hammy off your femur. I agree that it wouldn't make sense, I just think it's possible. After all of the new testing and names coming out he could've been afraid of the negative publicity and quit. Lots of scenarios, which could all be incorrect.

 

I want to believe he didn't but I'm struggling believing that anyone didn't.

 

 

 

I agree with these two assessments. I voted he did use steroids. It just doesn't make sense that everyone was using, especially up in Seattle, but Griffey was goody two shoes? Not buying it.

 

I think some of you also are failing to realize that while PED's make your body strong in some areas, other areas of your body tend to get weakened. I think if you take the time to do research you'll find that torn hamstrings are very common amongst PED abusers.

 

I like Griffey and always have. Honestly, PED's in baseball never bothered me at all. I have a hard time believing anyone was clean during an era when it was open knowledge that you had to use to keep up with the game. If he was that good that he didn't need them then when everyone else was using them then IMO he would still be playing now.

I agree with these two assessments. I voted he did use steroids. It just doesn't make sense that everyone was using, especially up in Seattle, but Griffey was goody two shoes? Not buying it.

 

Growing up in the clubhouse, and the fact that he had sheer talent, I could definitely see Griffey going against the grain and not being like all around him. If I was as talented were him, as talented as he was, I would have great satisfaction knowing that everyone else had to use these substances and still couldn't touch him.

 

Some of ya'll say since everyone else around him were doing it, he must have been doing it and it is funny that he wasn't. I would think that the complete witch hunt that has been going on would have connected his name somewhere.

Growing up in the clubhouse, and the fact that he had sheer talent, I could definitely see Griffey going against the grain and not being like all around him. If I was as talented were him, as talented as he was, I would have great satisfaction knowing that everyone else had to use these substances and still couldn't touch him.

 

Some of ya'll say since everyone else around him were doing it, he must have been doing it and it is funny that he wasn't. I would think that the complete witch hunt that has been going on would have connected his name somewhere.

 

I agree....If he had used, his name would definitely have been mentioned at some point. :thumb:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.