Yonder Alonso

After a mid July swoon where Yonder Alonso went 2 for 16 over a 5 game period he has gotten back on track the last 5 games of July going 10 for 22 with a couple of HRs. His batting average sits at .278 on the season with 12 HRs and 55 RBIs and just 69 Ks in 104 games overall. I'm sure Alonso is creating an interesting dilemna for the Reds and I'm sure that his name has come up more than once over the recent weeks leading up to the trade deadline. So I throw this out to you guys. What do the Reds do with young Mr. Alonso? His numbers are going to come near to Joey Votto's last AAA year when he hit .294 over 133 games with 22 HRs and 92 RBIs and 110 Ks. Is there room on this team for both since they both play the same position? Do they try to trade Joey over the winter since he is arbitration eligible and due to get a sizeable bump after his MVP type season at 27 years of age? Alonso is signed through 2011 and 2012 at $1m and $1.4m and is just 23 years old. Do they renew their thoughts of moving Joey to left field and slide Alonso in at first base next year? With the Reds in contention there will probably not be a chance to bring Alonso up in September to experiment with him in the lineup. What do they do?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think they move either one of them , they try Votto in the outfield next spring in either left or right . Bruce has to start hitting left handed pitching or maybe Votto goes to right .

I like the idea of moving Votto to the outfield. He has proven that he can be a pretty good defensive infielder and I think he could make the transition to left field pretty easily if he would be receptive to the idea. I also think that Alonso so far has proven that he does seem to have a pretty good eye and doesn't strike out a lot. Another left handed bat with some pop in the Red's lineup would be a good addition imo.

After a mid July swoon where Yonder Alonso went 2 for 16 over a 5 game period he has gotten back on track the last 5 games of July going 10 for 22 with a couple of HRs. His batting average sits at .278 on the season with 12 HRs and 55 RBIs and just 69 Ks in 104 games overall. I'm sure Alonso is creating an interesting dilemna for the Reds and I'm sure that his name has come up more than once over the recent weeks leading up to the trade deadline. So I throw this out to you guys. What do the Reds do with young Mr. Alonso?
Aside from the fact that he was a first-round pick and is still just 23 years old, what has Alonso done that makes him such a great prospect? He's a first baseman with a sub-.800 OPS in Triple-A.

Aside from the fact that he was a first-round pick and is still just 23 years old, what has Alonso done that makes him such a great prospect? He's a first baseman with a sub-.800 OPS in Triple-A.

Apparently he's on pace to if not match, come close to Votto's numbers in triple A, according to EZ.

Apparently he's on pace to if not match, come close to Votto's numbers in triple A, according to EZ.

For him to match Votto's numbers he'll have to raise his batting average 16 points, hit 10 homeruns and drive in 37 runs in his next 29 games....His on base percentage is 51 points lower than Votto's and his slugging is 29 points lower. And that is split between AA and AAA Votto's numbers were all at AAA.