Yonder Alonso

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who's to say that he can?

Why spend all that time transitioning your best player to a new position to make room for a player that MIGHT be a solid major leaguer?

Whose to say he can't? The Reds staff knows more than us. If I might add I think this would be unlikely anyway..

See A-Rod and Pujols.

:thumb:Two very good examples ,Pete Rose did a pretty good job with it also as did Tony Perez if I remember correctly . A few others with success at switching positions Chipper Jones,Craig Biggio,Robin Yount and Ted Wiiliams ( I believe played a little bit of everywhere ). That is to mention a few of the Genius's in Major League Baseball and I don't believe any management lost there jobs for making the above changes probably got promotions :thumb:. I also believe a player just traded a few days ago ,career was over if he didn't switch positions ;I believe if Rich Ankiel was still pitching he is doing something else besides playing baseball for the Braves .:popcorn::p

As good as Votto is offensively, he's probably improved the most as a defensive first basemen since he's been in the majors. Hopefully he continues to improve in the minors and if the Reds can't fit both in the lineup then I trust that Walt can move him for another piece of the puzzle that fits.

:thumb:Two very good examples ,Pete Rose did a pretty good job with it also as did Tony Perez if I remember correctly . A few others with success at switching positions Chipper Jones,Craig Biggio,Robin Yount and Ted Wiiliams ( I believe played a little bit of everywhere ). That is to mention a few of the Genius's in Major League Baseball and I don't believe any management lost there jobs for making the above changes probably got promotions :thumb:. I also believe a player just traded a few days ago ,career was over if he didn't switch positions ;I believe if Rich Ankiel was still pitching he is doing something else besides playing baseball for the Braves .:popcorn::p

1) None of that has anything to do with Joey Votto. It boggles my mind that you guys really think if Votto was able to play OF as well as 1B, that they wouldn't have done so.

2) Craig Biggio was moved to prolong his career. Rick Ankiel was moved to OF because he couldn't cut it as a pitcher, Chipper was moved to 3B because the Braves had a SS and needed a 3B. A-Rod was moved because they already had a HOF established SS in Jeter, and Pujols was moved to 1B, because the Cards had a guy named Scott Rolen at 3B. Can someone please tell me how any of those guys switching positions is anywhere close to being similar to moving an established star to a new position to make room for a guy that has never seen a single major league level pitch?

1) None of that has anything to do with Joey Votto. It boggles my mind that you guys really think if Votto was able to play OF as well as 1B, that they wouldn't have done so.

2) Craig Biggio was moved to prolong his career. Rick Ankiel was moved to OF because he couldn't cut it as a pitcher, Chipper was moved to 3B because the Braves had a SS and needed a 3B. A-Rod was moved because they already had a HOF established SS in Jeter, and Pujols was moved to 1B, because the Cards had a guy named Scott Rolen at 3B. Can someone please tell me how any of those guys switching positions is anywhere close to being similar to moving an established star to a new position to make room for a guy that has never seen a single major league level pitch?

I just gave you examples showing that it could work ,it boggles my mind of these people that won't give something a chance for the betterment of the team . I was always taught there was no I in the spelling of team. I guess Pete and Tony giving up their positions for others to have a spot ,don't count . So why was Yount moved to extend his career .

Pujols was moved to 1B, because the Cards had a guy named Scott Rolen at 3B. h?

Actually, #5 went from 3B to LF if I recall correctly once Rolen arrived. He then moved to 1B either that same year or the next year.

I just gave you examples showing that it could work ,it boggles my mind of these people that won't give something a chance for the betterment of the team . I was always taught there was no I in the spelling of team. I guess Pete and Tony giving up their positions for others to have a spot ,don't count . So why was Yount moved to extend his career .

How is it going to be for the betterment of the team? You act like putting Alonso at 1B and Votto in LF is just going to instantly make them unbelievably better. Votto is a very good defensive 1B. Highly, highly unlikely he could be as good in LF. No one has a clue how Alonso is going to pan out. Not sure why everyone just automatically assumes he'll produce more than Gomes or whomever else is out in LF...

How is it going to be for the betterment of the team? You act like putting Alonso at 1B and Votto in LF is just going to instantly make them unbelievably better. Votto is a very good defensive 1B. Highly, highly unlikely he could be as good in LF. No one has a clue how Alonso is going to pan out. Not sure why everyone just automatically assumes he'll produce more than Gomes or whomever else is out in LF...

Agreed. I'd let Alonso "season" a bit.