Yonder Alonso

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I am not advocating trading Votto, I would hate to see that as I think it would be a huge mistake. I also do not advocate trading Alonso just yet. He is only 23 years old and 2 years removed from college ball where he used an aluminum bat. It takes some time to make that adjustment to the wood bat and he has been working extra on that in winter ball. It seems to me that he is starting to show a little more power and still keeping the strikeouts down. In 2009 he suffered a hamate injury and they said that this type injury saps a player's power for about a year. He is on pace to hit about 15 HRs and strikeout just 80 or so times. People I have talked to that have seen him play @ Louisville say he seems to be a line drive hitter but when he lifts the ball it jumps out of the park. I would hate to see the Red's give up on a player who can hit for power and keep the strikeouts down. With the strikeout ratio that the Red's outfielders of 2010 have wouldn't it be nice to be able to move a player into the lineup who makes contact and has power. While I don't think the Reds will give up on Stubbs and Bruce because of their youth I don't think the Reds have long range plans for Jonny Gomes. If Votto could make the transition to left field next year and the brass thinks Alonso is ready for the Bigs why not try it. A couple of years ago when they still had Adam Dunn that was the thinking that they play Votto in left and move the Big donkey to 1st base. That idea was scrapped with the trade. I would certainly hate to see the Reds give up on Alonso and have him go on to have a big career elsewhere. He may never amount to anything at the major league level but can't we dream? I for one get real sick watching some of the current Reds players walk back to the dugout with their bats in their hands after a strikeout.

From what I've heard, Votto is strongly resisting the move to the OF. If he doesn't buy into it, there is a huge downside that could greatly affect him. If the Reds could sign him to a longterm deal as a caveat and provide some security to Votto, then it could work.

How is it going to be for the betterment of the team? You act like putting Alonso at 1B and Votto in LF is just going to instantly make them unbelievably better. Votto is a very good defensive 1B. Highly, highly unlikely he could be as good in LF. No one has a clue how Alonso is going to pan out. Not sure why everyone just automatically assumes he'll produce more than Gomes or whomever else is out in LF...

By no means am I saying trade Votto or move him against his will he is an important piece to the future of the Reds not to mention he is one of my favorite players , I am just saying if it makes the team better or if Alonso is equal to Votto or better why not try it .Maybe even try Alonso in LF,that is one of the Reds problems and you said it yourself Gomes or whomever else is in LF ,They need consistency I hope to see both of these young guys in the Reds lineup for many years to come:thumb:..

Im baffled at the fact that people wouldn't want thier team to be better if it meant the star player making an adjustment for the betterment of his team. The almighty Pujols did this, and I expect nothing less from Joey.

Why do you just automatically assume the team would be better if Votto moved to LF and Alonso took over 1B?

Im baffled at the fact that people wouldn't want thier team to be better if it meant the star player making an adjustment for the betterment of his team. The almighty Pujols did this, and I expect nothing less from Joey.
Pujols was moved to an easier position, and it was done as much for his long-term health as anything else.

Pretty sure it's well know Votto doesn't reall like the idea of moving to the OF. If it wasn't a big deal BP would have been moved to SS years ago.

How does Phillips factor in? I think it's safe to say Votto is a little more humble and has more humility than BP; therefore he might be more willing.. But who knows.