Issue with the Police

Rebel

You have every right to be mad Rebel. I would want some answers too. Sounds like you are handling it the right way. You appear to be very calm and deliberate and you want some answers. You'll get a much better response that way than you will ranting and raving - something that many people would be doing in your situation.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have every right to be mad Rebel. I would want some answers too. Sounds like you are handling it the right way. You appear to be very calm and deliberate and you want some answers. You'll get a much better response that way than you will ranting and raving - something that many people would be doing in your situation.

I agree completely. It's important that you get an explanation and that the supervisor of these officers know that that was how things were (mis)handled. If I wake up in the middle of the night to people in my garage with flashlights, I'm going to have my gun in my hand.

As far as the issue of contacting your attorney is concerned, it is evident to me that you don't want anything more than an explanation of what the law says and an explanation of what the police officers did. Both of those are valid questions to be answered.

Rebel, you probably will not ever receive the straight answers you are looking for because the law enforcement and judicial systems in this country are not "straight."

Any kind of "rules" that you hear people talk about all the time about what police can and can't do are nonsense. Police can do whatever they want and often times choose to do things that would not be considered typical protocol. They know that they can get away with bending the rules because they are the law.

Let me get this straight.

In your initial post, you say that contacting an attorney is ridiculous.

In your second post, you ask for an attorney's opinion?

That's too good. :lol:

I forgot to add the sarcastic smiley :D

I think it's another fine example of people on here spouting opinions who don't know the whole story. Rebel has presented his side. And once the explanation from the sheriff's department is heard, then we may have a better idea and can form an opinion. But to contact an attorney is ridiculous.
Agreed. It sounds like everything was legal, if perhaps not handled well.

Reb, like you, I want their side of the story. However, scratching my head here, I don't think they had any right to crawl into your garage. They needed to ring your doorbell and make sure their police vehicles were visible.

I will offer an opinion, it sounds to me like a couple of officers taking a short cut rather than utilizing their policing skills.

I really think contacting a lawyer is a waste of time. The best thing you can do is tell all of your friends and neighbors about your experience just promise me you will be objective when you do so.

Reb, like you, I want their side of the story. However, scratching my head here, I don't think they had any right to crawl into your garage. They needed to ring your doorbell and make sure their police vehicles were visible.

I will offer an opinion, it sounds to me like a couple of officers taking a short cut rather than utilizing their policing skills.

I really think contacting a lawyer is a waste of time. The best thing you can do is tell all of your friends and neighbors about your experience just promise me you will be objective when you do so.

:thumb:

I have always heard (definitely not saying that makes it right), but have heard that if your door was cracked open then a police officer may enter without a warrant. So, I would imagine the same would be true if your garage door was open. Also, it may be different if the garage isn't attached to the house.

Once again, just what I've heard, not sure if its entirely true.

I'm pretty sure that's not true.

Rebel, you probably will not ever receive the straight answers you are looking for because the law enforcement and judicial systems in this country are not "straight."

Any kind of "rules" that you hear people talk about all the time about what police can and can't do are nonsense. Police can do whatever they want and often times choose to do things that would not be considered typical protocol. They know that they can get away with bending the rules because they are the law.

Everyone hates the police until they need them.

It nevered entered my mind to contact a lawyer.

Telling I have done! Last night after not getting a call back from the deputy that was on duty that night, I called my magistrate (a VERY close friend) to give him the story that I was told by my father. I know the magistrate works under the County Judge Execuitve, which runs the County. Yesterday he told me that everyone is at a conference and would get back to me. So I hope to hear from someone today.

I am related to the person that has the same name as me. I was told that he was out of town also that night. His wife called him that early in the moring and asked what he had done now, and did not liked the issue at their home either. After returning home he went to the sheriff's office to complain and was photographed and takened to the local drinking place to be identified. While arriving the person that did the crime had turned himself in. Thinking about what could have happened had I been home gets me upset. I do know that I would not have gone easily away from my home.

It nevered entered my mind to contact a lawyer.

Telling I have done! Last night after not getting a call back from the deputy that was on duty that night, I called my magistrate (a VERY close friend) to give him the story that I was told by my father. I know the magistrate works under the County Judge Execuitve, which runs the County. Yesterday he told me that everyone is at a conference and would get back to me. So I hope to hear from someone today.

I am related to the person that has the same name as me. I was told that he was out of town also that night. His wife called him that early in the moring and asked what he had done now, and did not liked the issue at their home either. After returning home he went to the sheriff's office to complain and was photographed and takened to the local drinking place to be identified. While arriving the person that did the crime had turned himself in. Thinking about what could have happened had I been home gets me upset. I do know that I would not have gone easily away from my home.

That's not smart IMO. Even if the police make a mistake, you shouldn't resist.