If You're the Reds..

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So does Voltron, and so does Arroyo, and Cueto, etc., etc....This team doesn't need starting pitching, they need guys that can hold leads and/or keep them within a run or two in late situations.

I think I speak for the entire city of Cincinnati when I say it's a good thing you aren't making the decisions for the club.

Why give up the future of your organization for only a marginally better chance at winning now?

Just to point out how crazy your statement was, and how wrong you are....

Cliff Lee has thrown a whole 4 CG shutouts in 199 career starts...That's 2% of the time he takes the hill.

Bronson Arroyo has thrown a whole 3 CG shutouts in 239 career starts....That's 1.25% of the time he takes the hill.

Johnny Cueto has thrown 1 CG shutout in 74 career starts....That's 1.35% of the time he takes the hill.

Aaron Harang has thrown 6 CG shutouts in 227 career starts....That's 2.64% of the time he takes the hill.

Bailey has 1 to his name, Voltron and Leake are surely capable.

The bottom line is Lee doesn't have a better chance at going out there and throwing shutouts than the rest of the rotation, the chances are virtually zero for all of them, Lee included. Is he better than anyone the Reds have? Absolutely, but with the bullpen they have, it will do zero good to mortage the future for a minor improvement.

I agree with your point, but I think you were the one who brought up Cueto, Arroyo, et. al. being able to throw a CG Shutout. Nonetheless, I agree that Cliff Lee is not worth mortgaging the future for; however, it depends on what the Mariners want in return. If it's Maloney & Alonso, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I don't think Seattle would go for that, but you catch my drift.

Ask the Brewers how mortgaging the future for C.C. Sabathia turned out

No comment regarding my post? The Brewers trading for Sabathia worked out very well. They rode him hard and fell just short. CC made 17 starts for the Brewers. He threw 130 innings and ended up with a 1.65 ERA & 1.00 WHIP. He also went 11-2 with 7 CG (3 shutouts). I don't care who you gave up, that's a good trade. When you consider how little the guys Milwaukee traded away have produced thus far, everyone can see how lopsided the trade was. Of course, the Brewers failed to re-sign him, which reduces the "lopsidedness" of the trade a bit.

Sometimes the best move is the one you dont make because of chemistry concerns.

Does Cliff Lee have chemistry issues? If so, I've never heard of them. Even if he does, winning cures a lot of those things...

I'd say keep the rotation the way it is and make Volquez your one-season set up man when he returns. Then return him to the rotation next year.

The rotation will not remain the same because of Mike Leake. Because of Leake's young arm, Volquez will have the perfect opportunity to step right in as soon as he's ready. Bailey, Lecure & Volquez will all compete for the last 2 spots in the rotation. The other one will move to the bullpen.

I don't think they need to go after Cliff Lee. They do, however, have to do something to improve the bullpen. Since a 10 game stretch where they went 9-1 they are only 13-12 over their last 25 games. The bullpen had 8 of the 12 losses. The Reds also went 3-6 in one run games. Their starting pitching has been adequate, their offense has been very good, their defense has been very good. Their bullpen has been really bad. Luckily they are in the weakest division in baseball and the Cardinals, who are their only real competion, have not been consistent at all. If they could get some help in the pen they could stretch out a nice lead.

Edited by AverageJoesGym

I don't think they need to go after Cliff Lee. They do, however, have to do something to improve the bullpen. Since a 10 game stretch where they went 9-1 they are only 13-12 over their last 25 games. The bullpen had 8 of the 12 losses. The Reds also went 3-6 in one run games. Their starting pitching has been adequate, their offense has been very good, their defense has been very good. Their bullpen has been really bad. Luckily they are in the weakest division in baseball and the Cardinals, who are their only real competion, have not been consistant at all. If they could get some help in the pen they could stretch out a nice lead.

:thumb: Good post.

Cliff Lee would make the starting rotation the best in the bigs, IMO. But he's not the answer.

And you're right about the Cardinals. They're hanging around, but I think they're in trouble. With Lohse & Penny out, they're going to be relying on rookies to carry the load for a significant portion of the season. If Carpenter goes down, look out...

No comment regarding my post? The Brewers trading for Sabathia worked out very well. They rode him hard and fell just short. CC made 17 starts for the Brewers. He threw 130 innings and ended up with a 1.65 ERA & 1.00 WHIP. He also went 11-2 with 7 CG (3 shutouts). I don't care who you gave up, that's a good trade. When you consider how little the guys Milwaukee traded away have produced thus far, everyone can see how lopsided the trade was. Of course, the Brewers failed to re-sign him, which reduces the "lopsidedness" of the trade a bit.

I still think it is too early to rate this trade, but Brewers fans I know werent happy at the time and still arent happy with what they gave up. They say the three players gotten in the trade should show their worth in the next two years. Two of them were low level prospects at the time that have already seen Major League time.

I'm not a Reds fan, but I'm a baseball fan....The Reds being the local team means I follow them. I'll root for them against pretty much anyone but my Red Sox. Well them and I've always liked the Angels.

And how did "your Red Sox" become your favorite team, just curious?

And how did "your Red Sox" become your favorite team, just curious?

It really gets old how often I have to explain myself with this, but one last time...I've always liked Manny and Pedro, so when they went to the Red Sox I started following and rooting for them. Then I went to Boston for the 1st time in 2003 and watched a game from Fenway and fell in love with not only the Red Sox and the Patriots, but the entire city of Boston.

It really gets old how often I have to explain myself with this, but one last time...I've always liked Manny and Pedro, so when they went to the Red Sox I started following and rooting for them. Then I went to Boston for the 1st time in 2003 and watched a game from Fenway and fell in love with not only the Red Sox and the Patriots, but the entire city of Boston.

I'm with you here. Just because your favorite team is successful does not mean you are a banwagon jumper. Very irritating...

Just for the record if I had known this I wouldn't have asked. I said I didn't have a problem with it I was just curious how you became a fan. I worked for a company based in Boston and too like the city very much but not enough to root for the Red Sox over my local team the Reds. I do however have a favorite college football team and developed a feeling for them based on similar circumstances. I lived in their area for about 3 years and got to see them play a lot of games over that time period. They were also very successful and they became my favorite team over the years and I have stuck with them and try to see as many of their games as possible when they are within driving range. I do root for the local teams but have to admit that I would root for my favorite team if they played each other. So see we are not much different in our loyalties. There are a lot of people out there though that jump ship to follow the leader. There are a lot of New England Patriot fans in this area as well as Atlanta Brave fans because of this type thing. Thanks for the response.

Just for the record if I had known this I wouldn't have asked. I said I didn't have a problem with it I was just curious how you became a fan. I worked for a company based in Boston and too like the city very much but not enough to root for the Red Sox over my local team the Reds. I do however have a favorite college football team and developed a feeling for them based on similar circumstances. I lived in their area for about 3 years and got to see them play a lot of games over that time period. They were also very successful and they became my favorite team over the years and I have stuck with them and try to see as many of their games as possible when they are within driving range. I do root for the local teams but have to admit that I would root for my favorite team if they played each other. So see we are not much different in our loyalties. There are a lot of people out there though that jump ship to follow the leader. There are a lot of New England Patriot fans in this area as well as Atlanta Brave fans because of this type thing. Thanks for the response.

:thumb: It wasn't directed at you, I just find that I have to explain my fandom on here quite often, and get called a bandwagoner all the time, which gets somewhat old at times. I don't mind if it's a general inquiry, as yours was.

Like I said in another thread, I'll root for the Reds against everyone other than my Red Sox. Just as I'll root for the Bengals (I had season tickets the previous 5 years), against anyone but my Patriots. They became my team for two reasons, my love of Boston, and I'm a huge Michigan football fan, so when Tom Brady took over, I had to follow them.