If You're the Reds..

He has the potential to pitch a scoreless 1 through 9th inning every time he steps on the mound.

So does Voltron, and so does Arroyo, and Cueto, etc., etc....This team doesn't need starting pitching, they need guys that can hold leads and/or keep them within a run or two in late situations.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So does Voltron, and so does Arroyo, and Cueto, etc., etc....This team doesn't need starting pitching, they need guys that can hold leads and/or keep them within a run or two in late situations.

Wow, if the Reds had 3 guys and I guess plus even more with all the etc?? I guess you are saying the entire pitching staff has a good shot at throwing a complete game shutout every time he pitches or on the same level as Cliff Lee. Wow.......then I would tell you the Reds are World Series favorites. Jeez la weez Sallly McNally that is the craziest thing I have heard. I am not saying starting pitching is our most glaring weaknest but if you can get a guy of Cliff Lee's talent why not go for it? Stick Leake and Bailey in the bullpen when Volquez comes back. It saves Leake's arm for the long term, and John Smoltz said it is easier to start then come out of the bullpen after Tommy John surgery because you are on a set schedule and are fully loose, so Volquez needs to be in the rotation over the bullpen. Plus a lefty in the rotation would be nice. A bullpen of CoCo, Bailey, Leake, Owings, and Rhodes seems pretty formidable to me.

I haven't seen a division title in my entire life. It would just be nice for the franchise to act like they want to win one and make an aggressive move. I will give them credit they did make an aggressive move for Rolen which is panning out nicely. I am just asking them to make a move is the price is right. I wouldn't want them to give away everything plus the kitchen sink just for Lee.

If the Indians got so much talent from the Brewers for Sabathia, where is it at? I just see them lose game after game if I am not mistaken? Sure we might give one or two good "prospects" but that is exactly what they are just "prospects" they could never make it out of AAA for all we know for a guy that is arguably a top 5 pitcher in the game. Granted we would just have him for a few months that is why the price has to be right and the Reds should start negotiating immediately with him to extend his contract.

Ask the Brewers how mortgaging the future for C.C. Sabathia turned out

Matt Laporta was the biggest named prospect in that deal, and he's currently hitting .217 for the Indians. He has put up some pretty impressive numbers in the minors, though.

Zach Jackson was the young pitcher that the Brewers gave up. Last year, he had a 5.60 ERA for the Indians. This year, he has over a 9.00 ERA and a WHIP over 2.00. Granted, he's only pitched in 3 games this year (in MLB), but he has not exactly excelled. He actually had an ERA over 6.00 last year in AAA.

The other prospect was another pitcher, Rob Bryson. Rob is still in A+ League, and is doing fairly well with a 2.65 ERA in 10 games this season.

I think the Brewers would do it again.

Matt Laporta was the biggest named prospect in that deal, and he's currently hitting .217 for the Indians. He has put up some pretty impressive numbers in the minors, though.

Zach Jackson was the young pitcher that the Brewers gave up. Last year, he had a 5.60 ERA for the Indians. This year, he has over a 9.00 ERA and a WHIP over 2.00. Granted, he's only pitched in 3 games this year (in MLB), but he has not exactly excelled. He actually had an ERA over 6.00 last year in AAA.

The other prospect was another pitcher, Rob Bryson. Rob is still in A+ League, and is doing fairly well with a 2.65 ERA in 10 games this season.

Hahahaha yes I think so too. At least the Brewers added some excitement to their franchise that year. I am confident the Reds will make a move. I doubt it will be for Lee, but a move none the less.

Yeah, probably, but what are the odds that prospects don't pan out? Back in the day, the Red Sox traded a young prospect for a rental. His name was Jeff Bagwell. The Expos traded 3 prospects for a rental on Bartolo Colon. Those prospects were named Cliff Lee, Grady Sizemore, and Brandon Phillips.

I'm not saying Cliff Lee isn't worth a deal, but the Reds starting pitching is not the problem, and should not be their first priority in making a move.

Wow, if the Reds had 3 guys and I guess plus even more with all the etc?? I guess you are saying the entire pitching staff has a good shot at throwing a complete game shutout every time he pitches or on the same level as Cliff Lee. Wow.......then I would tell you the Reds are World Series favorites. Jeez la weez Sallly McNally that is the craziest thing I have heard. I am not saying starting pitching is our most glaring weaknest but if you can get a guy of Cliff Lee's talent why not go for it? Stick Leake and Bailey in the bullpen when Volquez comes back. It saves Leake's arm for the long term, and John Smoltz said it is easier to start then come out of the bullpen after Tommy John surgery because you are on a set schedule and are fully loose, so Volquez needs to be in the rotation over the bullpen. Plus a lefty in the rotation would be nice. A bullpen of CoCo, Bailey, Leake, Owings, and Rhodes seems pretty formidable to me.

I think I speak for the entire city of Cincinnati when I say it's a good thing you aren't making the decisions for the club.

Why give up the future of your organization for only a marginally better chance at winning now?

Just to point out how crazy your statement was, and how wrong you are....

Cliff Lee has thrown a whole 4 CG shutouts in 199 career starts...That's 2% of the time he takes the hill.

Bronson Arroyo has thrown a whole 3 CG shutouts in 239 career starts....That's 1.25% of the time he takes the hill.

Johnny Cueto has thrown 1 CG shutout in 74 career starts....That's 1.35% of the time he takes the hill.

Aaron Harang has thrown 6 CG shutouts in 227 career starts....That's 2.64% of the time he takes the hill.

Bailey has 1 to his name, Voltron and Leake are surely capable.

The bottom line is Lee doesn't have a better chance at going out there and throwing shutouts than the rest of the rotation, the chances are virtually zero for all of them, Lee included. Is he better than anyone the Reds have? Absolutely, but with the bullpen they have, it will do zero good to mortage the future for a minor improvement.

I think I speak for the entire city of Cincinnati when I say it's a good thing you aren't making the decisions for the club.

Why give up the future of your organization for only a marginally better chance at winning now?

Cliff Lee has thrown a whole 4 CG shutouts in 199 career starts...That's 2% of the time he takes the hill.

Bronson Arroyo has thrown a whole 3 CG shutouts in 239 career starts....That's 1.25% of the time he takes the hill.

Johnny Cueto has thrown 1 CG shutout in 74 career starts....That's 1.35% of the time he takes the hill.

Aaron Harang has thrown 6 CG shutouts in 227 career starts....That's 2.64% of the time he takes the hill.

The bottom line is Lee doesn't have a better chance at going out there and throwing shutouts than the rest of the rotation, the chances are virtually zero for all of them, Lee included. Is he better than anyone the Reds have? Absolutely, but with the bullpen they have, it will do zero good to mortage the future for a minor improvement.

I thought you were not a Reds fan then why do you even care..?

Well said

I thought you were not a Reds fan then why do you even care..?

I'm not a Reds fan, but I'm a baseball fan....The Reds being the local team means I follow them. I'll root for them against pretty much anyone but my Red Sox. Well them and I've always liked the Angels.