If You're the Reds..

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not considering who the M's would want? Or consider everything? A trade I think would be very realistic?

Something you'd be willing to offer the Mariners in exchange for Lee. Maybe what you think they'd want, what you would like them to accept, and then what you think a solid compromise deal would be?

So, I'll ask you directly then, if you were the Reds GM, who would you trade to the M's in exchange for Lee?

BTW I like your improved interest in the Reds now. Seems like it has been growing since we first butted heads about voting for the Reds as All-Stars. I love it, and I'm not being sarcastic at all.

I have heard more than one person say the Reds should trade Votto for Lee. I would never do that ever but most people feel we have quite a few talented young players so we can afford to trade for help for this ball club.

There would possibly be a riot if that happened.

So you'd be willing to trade Drew Stubbs or Jay Bruce AND Travis Wood or Homer Bailey for Cliff Lee for the next 3-4 months?

I would be willing to trade Alonso, Francisco, Heisey, Maloney or Wood (or any combination) for Cliff Lee. The M's aren't going to just GIVE Lee away to the Reds.

I wouldn't trade Francisco but I think the others are fair game. Alonso is stuck in his spot until he learns how to play LF but I think he has some pretty good value.

I think I speak for the entire city of Cincinnati when I say it's a good thing you aren't making the decisions for the club.

Why give up the future of your organization for only a marginally better chance at winning now?

Just to point out how crazy your statement was, and how wrong you are....

Cliff Lee has thrown a whole 4 CG shutouts in 199 career starts...That's 2% of the time he takes the hill.

Bronson Arroyo has thrown a whole 3 CG shutouts in 239 career starts....That's 1.25% of the time he takes the hill.

Johnny Cueto has thrown 1 CG shutout in 74 career starts....That's 1.35% of the time he takes the hill.

Aaron Harang has thrown 6 CG shutouts in 227 career starts....That's 2.64% of the time he takes the hill.

Bailey has 1 to his name, Voltron and Leake are surely capable.

The bottom line is Lee doesn't have a better chance at going out there and throwing shutouts than the rest of the rotation, the chances are virtually zero for all of them, Lee included. Is he better than anyone the Reds have? Absolutely, but with the bullpen they have, it will do zero good to mortage the future for a minor improvement.

:clap::clap::clap: I don't know why I didn't pay any attention to this thread before, possibly because it was started when I was on vacation, but this is quite possibly your best post ever on BGP. There is no way I mortgage the Reds future for Cliff Lee.

stpatsbaseball - we are all awaiting a few players that you would offer the Mariners in exchange for Cliff Lee.

I love the idea of adding Cliff Lee to the rotation. Who doesn't? The problem is that Cliff Lee comes at a price. That price may be worth paying if 1. we needed starting pitching; and 2. we could keep him for the next 4-5 years.

Who knows what the M's would want, but why do we think Bailey is coming back soon? If he does come back why do we think it will be at full strentgh? Leake needs some time off. Chapman is making too much money to not start next year. This is the lastest the Reds have been in 1st place since 1999. I've heard next year around here for a long time. I wouldn't trade Stubbs or Bruce but why not the other prospects? Hopefully Votto has 1B locked up for a decade and Bruce and Stubbs have 2 of 3 spots in the OF for a decade. I'd be willing to lose Alonso and a pitcher like Wood for Lee. People are saying don't give up prospects for a 3 mont rental. Don't you think Seattle knows that clubs think like that? They aren't getting much better than Alonso and Wood from anyone else. If they bring him in and he has fun and they win he might stay for the right contract. If they do get him and miss the fans can't say the owner and GM aren't trying. Volquez, Bailey, Cueto, and Leake are just about locks for next year. Where does Wood fit in? Give it a shot.

Who knows what the M's would want, but why do we think Bailey is coming back soon? If he does come back why do we think it will be at full strentgh? Leake needs some time off. Chapman is making too much money to not start next year. This is the lastest the Reds have been in 1st place since 1999. I've heard next year around here for a long time. I wouldn't trade Stubbs or Bruce but why not the other prospects? Hopefully Votto has 1B locked up for a decade and Bruce and Stubbs have 2 of 3 spots in the OF for a decade. I'd be willing to lose Alonso and a pitcher like Wood for Lee. People are saying don't give up prospects for a 3 mont rental. Don't you think Seattle knows that clubs think like that? They aren't getting much better than Alonso and Wood from anyone else. If they bring him in and he has fun and they win he might stay for the right contract. If they do get him and miss the fans can't say the owner and GM aren't trying. Volquez, Bailey, Cueto, and Leake are just about locks for next year. Where does Wood fit in? Give it a shot.

I would trade Bailey, but not Wood.

I would trade Bailey, but not Wood.

I would be ok w/ that too. I'd trade either but not both. The M's may not want a pitcher w/ a current arm injury though. I hope they bring back Arroyo so they can afford to lose a starter and a 1B prospect IMO.

I would be ok w/ that too. I'd trade either but not both. The M's may not want a pitcher w/ a current arm injury though. I hope they bring back Arroyo so they can afford to lose a starter and a 1B prospect IMO.

Hopefully, if they trade for Lee they'll have a deal in place. Meaning both Harang and Arroyo could be let go.

If a deal was in place starters for next year would look like this.

Lee

Volquez

Leake

Cueto

Chapman

Wood/Bailey (Whichever isn't traded in the deal...assuming one of them is)

Maloney

That's 7 fighting for 5 spots. Still in pretty good shape.

I've never actually said what I'd be willing to give up for Lee (assuming a deal is in place).

1. Alonso (He's blocked since he's unable to play anything but 1B.)

2. Francisco (Seems to be more of an AL guy. Lots of power and a liability at 3B)

3. Wood/Bailey (I'd rather give up Bailey out of these two but would be willing to give up Wood if there's a deal in place)

4. AA or A prospect if necessary. (I dont know a lot about these levels to name someone but I wouldn't be willing to give up that HS catcher they drafted a few years ago. A average potential prospect would probably do)

Just curious...Why wouldnt you trade Francisco?

He is the future at 3B. Rolen will finish his contract and it should be around the time Francisco is ready to come take a full time role(Hopefully). He has the making of a power hitter for years to come. Not really something I am willing to give up for a rental player.

He is the future at 3B. Rolen will finish his contract and it should be around the time Francisco is ready to come take a full time role(Hopefully). He has the making of a power hitter for years to come. Not really something I am willing to give up for a rental player.

I really hope the Reds have a better plan than Francisco at 3B. E5 all over again.