If You're the Reds..

:thumb: It wasn't directed at you, I just find that I have to explain my fandom on here quite often, and get called a bandwagoner all the time, which gets somewhat old at times. I don't mind if it's a general inquiry, as yours was.

Like I said in another thread, I'll root for the Reds against everyone other than my Red Sox. Just as I'll root for the Bengals (I had season tickets the previous 5 years), against anyone but my Patriots. They became my team for two reasons, my love of Boston, and I'm a huge Michigan football fan, so when Tom Brady took over, I had to follow them.

So why are you a Red Sox fan?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumb: Good post.

Cliff Lee would make the starting rotation the best in the bigs, IMO. But he's not the answer.

And you're right about the Cardinals. They're hanging around, but I think they're in trouble. With Lohse & Penny out, they're going to be relying on rookies to carry the load for a significant portion of the season.

Yes, do what you can to get Cliff Lee. I read the other day that the Cards, Reds, and Brewers are all in the hunt. As always it depends on what the M's want in return, but why not?

I think your off on the Cardinals. I would take the rotation they have right now (Carp, Waino, Garcia, Suppan, Rookie) over what the Reds have. People talk about Leake and what he's doing, look at Garcia. Your right about them being inconsistent so far, but come on, do you really think that lineup will not get hot and go on a tear for a stretch, just wait. As for "hanging around" that would make me nervous because they haven't played good ball at all.

Friend of mine was having a conversation with Pete Rose the other day in the airport. He asked Pete what he thought about the Reds this year. Pete kind of shrugged the question off and when my friend asked him why he wasn't excited he said it's because they haven't played anyone, or faced good pitching, outside of St. Louis and when they start winning games against good teams he'll get excited. I thought about that, and he is dead on. Think about who the Reds have played. Their tear they went on consisted of teams like Pirates (twice) Astros (twice) Brewers, Indians, Royals. I mean just look at their schedule, they have beaten bad teams and lost against good teams. Lost 3 of the 4 series against St. Louis.

I'm just throwing it out there. If anyone thinks the Reds are fine, then I strongly disagree. Maybe they continue to win, but I don't think they will. If they want to win this year go get someone. If they want to wait, don't.

:thumb: Good post.

Cliff Lee would make the starting rotation the best in the bigs, IMO. But he's not the answer.

And you're right about the Cardinals. They're hanging around, but I think they're in trouble. With Lohse & Penny out, they're going to be relying on rookies to carry the load for a significant portion of the season.

Yes, do what you can to get Cliff Lee. I read the other day that the Cards, Reds, and Brewers are all in the hunt. As always it depends on what the M's want in return, but why not?

I think your off on the Cardinals. I would take the rotation they have right now (Carp, Waino, Garcia, Suppan, Rookie) over what the Reds have. People talk about Leake and what he's doing, look at Garcia. Your right about them being inconsistent so far, but come on, do you really think that lineup will not get hot and go on a tear for a stretch, just wait. As for "hanging around" that would make me nervous because they haven't played good ball at all.

Friend of mine was having a conversation with Pete Rose the other day in the airport. He asked Pete what he thought about the Reds this year. Pete kind of shrugged the question off and when my friend asked him why he wasn't excited he said it's because they haven't played anyone, or faced good pitching, outside of St. Louis and when they start winning games against good teams he'll get excited. I thought about that, and he is dead on. Think about who the Reds have played. Their tear they went on consisted of teams like Pirates (twice) Astros (twice) Brewers, Indians, Royals. I mean just look at their schedule, they have beaten bad teams and lost against good teams. Lost 3 of the 4 series against St. Louis.

I'm just throwing it out there. If anyone thinks the Reds are fine, then I strongly disagree. Maybe they continue to win, but I don't think they will. If they want to win this year go get someone. If they want to wait, don't.

Man there is gonna be an uproar in a few weeks. Cardinals get Lee and folks are gonna want heads to roll...:popcorn:

I agree with Pete. Reds haven't played no one yet. Have a lot of tough games on the road coming up. Might start getting the fever with 12 or 13 wins over the next 20 games.

Pete knows baseball ! :thumb:

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100618&content_id=11329682&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

Just read on Reds.com that Volquez has already been optioned to AAA Louisville and could be in the Reds rotation before the All-Star break. It also said that Volquez has already served his 50 game suspension?? This would be huge if this were to be true especially if they were to land Lee also.

• 2 weeks later...

Reds should play to win now. So if there is an oppurtunity to trade for Lee then do it.

Herrera still needs to go.

I am glad to get to see Bray up in the big leagues again, hopefully he is better than ever and gives us a spark and fresh arm out of the bullpen,

It sounds like the Twins are the frontrunners for Lee. The Reds do not need to give up a bunch of their prospects for him. They are a year ahead of schedule. Let it play out, hang on to the young talent and try to make a run at it for the next several years.

I hear a lot of people make statements like this, and I do not understand it. Doesn't a team want to win every game, every year? Do they not strive to go into the play-off's each and every year? If a team has a goal to not win, nor go to the play-off's at least, then I do not think that they are a team. Those two things should be your goal every dang year. Now, you have to play with the cards you are dealt and if they say you can only have so many dollars/players/etc at this time, well, then you do that but to say they are ahead of schedule to win, I do not buy that. I also think one must remember that yes the young guys will be a year older, but the older guys will also be a year older - and I do not think you can expect to get the same results from the older guys (Rolen and Rhodes come to mind) next year and the year after. Heck, even Gomes may not produce next year. So, my thoughts on the whole thing is that a GM and the rest of team management need to constantly look for ways to improve the team for today. You can not give up everything for a short term improvement, but if that improvement allows you to win today, without mortgaging your entire future, go for it! Heck, by making the playoffs this year, and selling out a lot of games this year, would it not help the pay roll for next year???

I just think that the Reds would nearly lock up a W almost every time Lee starts. I don't see why you'd pass up on it automatically without even attempting to land him, especially since he is traditionally so dominant in the playoffs.