Track Conference Expansion

gametime

CCC, I know you know its more than just on-field success. Clemson sells out the stadium every time and has a large alumni base across the south, meaning more people interested in watching on TV. Miami sells out one or two games per year (maybe) and has a limited alumni outside of south Florida. It is fair to say that Clemson has traditionally underachieved while Miami's emergence in the 1980's was impressive, but nobody would expect a conference to pick the Canes over Clemson. It's not the smart move financially - which is the only thing that matters.

Isn't TV the biggest drawing card though? I couldn't imagine that Miami wouldn't have better or at least equal TV ratings compared to Clemson.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It just doesn't make any sense to me that a team like Kansas would be in the Big East. Heck, they aren't even from the East (Midwest really). I think a broad re-alignment needs to take place to make sure schools in these conferences have a relatively close proximity to one another.

It just doesn't make any sense to me that a team like Kansas would be in the Big East. Heck, they aren't even from the East (Midwest really). I think a broad re-alignment needs to take place to make sure schools in these conferences have a relatively close proximity to one another.

Pipe dream. Money talks, not logic...

I don't think it's necessarily just TV ratings. Potential new tv sets seems to be what they mean when they are speaking about TV.

How would Miami not help with that? They are bigger nationally than they are in Dade County. I don't think the U is going to the SEC though, I just think Clemson is a poor choice.

Doesn't UF pretty much own Florida right now anyway? I could see FSU/Miami adding some more power to the SEC, but USF? I don't see what USF or Clemson bring to the table. They don't bring strong programs or additional media markets. Why would the SEC want them?
I agree that, at the present, USF offers nothing new to the SEC and I really don't see them courting the Bulls. However, the risk that the SEC may consider, is that, if USF keeps improving and becomes a national power (not out of the realm of possibilities considering how far they've come in just 13 seasons), they could very well lose the largest TV market in Florida. USF alum already out number UF alum in the Tampa Bay Area (at least the ones with disposable income in the desired advertiser's age range), just because of the proximity and size of the school. If the Bulls meet their potential, they'll tear non-alum Gator fans away. I know this town. Front runners like you wouldn't believe. You should see the former FSU fans sporting green and gold now. I have a feeling the SEC brass suspects this, too.

There was a reason the BEast took a 6 year old program over a more established one in 2003. Next to Atlanta, the TBA is the largest TV market in the southeast, #13 nationally. (For reference Cincinnati is 34th, Louisville is 50th.). With close to 50k enrollment this fall at all 4 campuses, the school is larger than every SEC member, except UF. The TBA, not the Miami/Dade Metroplex, is also the most populated region in Florida. The area's population is equivalent to that of the states of Alabama, Mississippi, or Kentucky. That's a lot of money to be left hanging out there.

Just sayin'. :D

And Miami doesn't bring as much as Clemson, possibly the most underachieving program of All-time? 5 national championship don't add anything? Sure they are not what they used to be, but unless Texas or Oklahoma come in, no other team that could be added has anywhere near as much prestige as Miami.

I wasn't sure but i don't think my comment made in comparisons to Clemson.