Memphis - With Current #1 in 2010 Recruiting Class

MJAlltheWay24

Having Memphis as my home base for the past year, I can tell you all that there is a very large hatred for Coach Calipari and the University of Kentucky basketball program now. I honestly felt like they would talk about Coach Cal and UK more than they would their own Memphis program (which I can understand why)...

With that being said, and since Memphis currently has the #1 recruiting class for 2010 according to the announcers during the McDonald's game tonight, do you think the Memphis talk radio and Memphis fans will eventually get over it this year and move on to focus on Tiger basketball? Or do you think they will still be stuck on what happen last summer and what might have been?

P.S. I know that after all the undeclared players decide, Memphis will probably no longer have the number one recruiting class, but I thought it was interesting.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course Memphis fans are upset....

If Cal stays at Memphis this past year, they bring in the best recruiting class in the history of the NCAA.

Wall, Cousins, Henry, AND Dodson (possibly Bledsoe as well) all would've been suiting up for the Tigers. Cal took his recruits with him (not including Henry) and Kentucky goes to the Elite 8 with "their recruits."

Let's not forget that they also would've had Elliott Williams mixed in with that group as well. Memphis would've been unreal with that team.

Walter...I appreciate the insight. But you didn't answer my question and missed the point of the thread. Of coarse they were upset this season, and I understand that.

But now that they are going to have a great recruiting class coming in are they going to be able to move on and cheer for their team? Or continue to hold on and pay more attention to UK?

Walter...I appreciate the insight. But you didn't answer my question.

Now that they are going to have a great recruiting class coming in are they going to be able to move on and cheer for their team? Or continue to hold on and pay more attention to UK?

I think you'll see some of the more realistic fans simply move on but obviously there will be some who will hold a grudge against Cal for years to come, much like many UK fans did when Pitino bolted for the NBA and then came back to coach at Louisville.

I was at Applebee's in Florence the other night and there was an older gentleman sitting with me at the bar that was up here from Louisville on a business trip. (This guy resides in Louisville but is a HUGE UK fan) To this day, he still resents Pitino for leaving UK and ending up at Louisville.

They're saying on another thread that UNC will lose Drew II to transfer(which would be good) and sign Ray McCallum(even better). I think that might push them to #1. If they don't get Ray McCallum, I would be fine with the loaded in coming class...

I think there is a little bit of a difference between Coacl Cal leaving Memphis for Kentucky, and Pitino leaving Kentucky for the NBA and then going to the in-state rival.

Depends on your point of view...............

Edited by History
Spelling

Depnds on your point of view...............

I would say from any viewpoint...

Pitino is on top of the world making it to back to back championships at the winningest school in basketball history. He leaves for the money and the NBA, but then comes back to an in-state rival...which at the time was not a strong program what so ever.

Calipari is doing great at a school in a mid-major conference, and he leaves for what he stated in the past as, "His dream job" and the money.

Calipari was improving things for himself personally by going to UK, I'm not sure you could say the same about Pitino going to Louisville. Although he has done great since going there, but it was definitely a big work in progress.

Doesn't seem like a fair comparsion at all in my opinion.

I would say from any viewpoint...

Pitino is on top of the world making it to back to back championships at the winningest school in basketball history. He leaves for the money and the NBA, but then comes back to an in-state rival...which at the time was not a strong program what so ever.

Calipari is doing great at a school in a mid-major conference, and he leaves for what he stated in the past as, "His dream job" and the money.

Calipari was improving things for himself personally by going to UK, I'm not sure you could say the same about Pitino going to Louisville. Although he has done great since going there, but it was definitely a big work in progress.

Doesn't seem like a fair comparsion at all in my opinion.

Coach Cal just coached in the NCAA championship game-whether or not it was at a mid major or not is irrelevant. Also had great recruits lined up to keep it going. He left for the money.

Coach Rick realized that the pro game wasn't his gig, and wanted to get back to the college game. He left for money too. U of L isn't a bad paying gig.

I am not totaly disagreeing with you as Cal jumped into the fire with pressure, and Ricky P. has some pressure, but not nearly to the level as what goes on at UK.

Memphis fans are bitter, and I harbor some of this myself even though I now sit in True-Blue land. And, even though I can understand the reasons that Cal would want to be at UK. There is a bitter taste associated with 1) taking the recruits with him; and 2) leaving Memphis holding the bag for having wins and a final four appearance vacated and none of it "getting on him" miraculously. But, I consider myself a typical Memphis fan, and they are my first love. Many will get over any pre-occupation with Cal as soon as Memphis is back in the NCAA tourney...which hopefully this next year. Memphis has a great young coach. He needs the support of the community and then a contract to keep him.

Coach Cal just coached in the NCAA championship game-whether or not it was at a mid major or not is irrelevant. Also had great recruits lined up to keep it going. He left for the money.

Coach Rick realized that the pro game wasn't his gig, and wanted to get back to the college game. He left for money too. U of L isn't a bad paying gig.

I am not totaly disagreeing with you as Cal jumped into the fire with pressure, and Ricky P. has some pressure, but not nearly to the level as what goes on at UK.

It is a good converastion. But Coach Cal was never going to get the credit that was due to him coaching at Memphis. Critics would always argue against him merely coaching at a mid-major school, so he had to wanted to advance himself, his resume, and his wallet.

I just think UK fans have a bigger gripe when Pitino chose to come back to the state and coach at the rival school, than Memphis fans have when Cal went to a much better situation, with better pay lol.

And I say all this still being a big Pitino fan 364 days of the year lol.

Memphis has a great young coach. He needs the support of the community and then a contract to keep him.

That's exactly how I feel about it. I feel like Pastner could do a lot of good things for the Memphis program...but they have to move on and let him do that.