Memphis - With Current #1 in 2010 Recruiting Class

MJAlltheWay24

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To answer your original question MJ...my best guess is that it'll take some Memphis fans seeing the dividends of this heralded recruiting class actually out on the floor. (So, it might still be a long summer as far as talk radio.) However, once these kids hit the floor, and if it results in a lot of W's...then I think a lot of the talk about Cal will start to take a back seat. Just my opinion.

Coach Cal DIDN'T leave for the money,

He is currently making LESS at UK this year than he would had he stayed at Mempbis. Obviously it's not by much, but the point is that he didn't leave for the money. He left because of the "programs."

That's exactly how I feel about it. I feel like Pastner could do a lot of good things for the Memphis program...but they have to move on and let him do that.

Honestly, Pastner could recruit the Memphis area alone and have top 5 recruiting classes every year. That area is absolutely LOADED with talent every year.

I just thought when he signed they consistantly said on ESPN that that deal made him the highest paid coach in the NCAA...maybe I was wrong.

But, if that is the case like you are saying Walter...Memphis fans should be less upset since he didn't leave for money, but more because he was following his dream job.

I just thought when he signed they consistantly said on ESPN that that deal made him the highest paid coach in the NCAA...maybe I was wrong.

But, if that is the case like you are saying Walter...Memphis fans should be less upset since he didn't leave for money, but more because he was following his dream job.

With INCENTIVES he's the highest paid coach in the NCAA, but I'm pretty sure his base salary was going to be higher at Memphis this year than it is/was at UK.

I also remember Cal stating in his "good-bye" pressser that he'd be making less at UK this coming season.

I'll do some research to confirm.

JMO, and really there's no reason to speculate, but the next UK coach will come from the group of Travis Ford, John Pelphrey, or Darin Horn IMO.

I think the UK job is and will be too big for any of those guys. Ford is the most impressive coach of the bunch, but none of the 3 have the entire package UK wants and needs, IMO. I say unless something changes Pelphrey and Horn (why would he have a shot anyway?) wouldn't even be interviewed.

I could be wrong...but either way.

I think that Pastner is going to be able to take Memphis back to a national contender here soon and was just wondering what ya'll thought on how long it would take until Memphis fans embraced him am moved on?

I feel for Pastner, its a difficult situation, and if they don't take care of him, I could see him moving on sooner rather than later.

He's the highest paid coach in the country. That's a fact. I believe Memphis was willing to match any offer that UK gave him though.

That's what I was thinking of.

Memphis was willing to pay more than what Calipari accepted to coach at UK, in order to keep him at Memphis.

I think the UK job is and will be too big for any of those guys. Ford is the most impressive coach of the bunch, but none of the 3 have the entire package UK wants and needs, IMO. I say unless something changes Pelphrey and Horn (why would he have a shot anyway?) wouldn't even be interviewed.

He's a Kentucky native...

He's a Kentucky native...

So what does that have to do with coaching UK? He didn't play there or go to school there. I know he's from Lexington and all, but being a Kentucky native that did not play at UK isn't going to give him much of a chance IMO, unless he turns into a great top of the line coach.

That's what I was thinking of.

Memphis was willing to pay more than what Calipari accepted to coach at UK, in order to keep him at Memphis.

Bingo.

Cal left for one of the few "dream" jobs of a college coach. I believe him on that. Memphis has a great basketball history (and present), but it is not in a "power" conference and has a challenge because of it. C-USA really took a loss when they lost Louisville and Cincy among others. Memphis doesn't seem to have any options although the rest of the conference is showing signs of improvement.