Kentucky/Indiana Allstar team

In my opinion, the powers that be can do however they wish with the roster each season, but don't have a "tryout" if it's already decided who needs to be on the team. Just put together a selection committee and say, "here is the roster that we've chosen..."

A tryout seems to be a waste of time when several of the top 5 players in the tryout aren't even included on the team. In addition, when you have certain folks protesting the event, basketball politics and other off the court issue in play - the process isn't working properly, anyways.

I say don't give an option - just select the team and announce it.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of those college coaches are Kentucky natives that love high school basketball in the state. I see no problems with their passion for Kentucky basketball.

In a couple of circumstances, some of the kids that will play for these coaches in college were not included on the roster and perhaps they should've been.

Ah, understood :thumb:

What's the surprise?

They were number 1 in the state for most of the year so they had to have some players

Ballard made it to the title game and defeated more elite teams than Trinity. Sewell didn't try out, but made the roster, that's fine, but eliminating Chiles and Gibbs from the roster is ONE of the surprises.

Agree Chiles would have made it based on the season but I heard he really didn't play well in tryout. Same goes for Gibbs and Polson.

Let's face the facts that if you're going to try and win, Sewell gives you the best chance and you can't penalize arguably the best player all year because he had to have surgery.

I've heard from several people who were there that the group chosen looked best in tryouts

Agree Chiles would have made it based on the season but I heard he really didn't play well in tryout. Same goes for Gibbs and Polson.

In an earlier post just minutes ago, you claimed Trinity was #1 for most the season and that implied the reason they have two players on the roster, including one that did not try-out. Showing support for overall season play as a measure to select players.

Now you made the above comment, saying try-outs should be a main reason players are on the roster or dismissed.

I'm confused. Yes, I have heard some did well and some not so well. Some could shoot and others couldn't defend a chair. So really, which way do you support, season or two days of try-outs? You seem to be on both sides of the fence.

In my opinion, the powers that be can do however they wish with the roster each season, but don't have a "tryout" if it's already decided who needs to be on the team. Just put together a selection committee and say, "here is the roster that we've chosen..."

A tryout seems to be a waste of time when several of the top 5 players in the tryout aren't even included on the team. In addition, when you have certain folks protesting the event, basketball politics and other off the court issue in play - the process isn't working properly, anyways.

I say don't give an option - just select the team and announce it.

Who were some of the players who would be included in this group who played well at the tryouts but did not make the team?

Who were some of the players who would be included in this group who played well at the tryouts but did not make the team?

Ah, I don't really want to comment on individual names since we're discussing high school kids, but there were some surprises.

In an earlier post just minutes ago, you claimed Trinity was #1 for most the season and that implied the reason they have two players on the roster, including one that did not try-out. Showing support for overall season play as a measure to select players.

Now you made the above comment, saying try-outs should be a main reason players are on the roster or dismissed.

I'm confused. Yes, I have heard some did well and some not so well. Some could shoot and others couldn't defend a chair. So really, which way do you support, season or two days of try-outs? You seem to be on both sides of the fence.

I believe I have been very logical

Sewell was injured and couldn't make tryout but would you honestly leave him off based on the year he had and I would bet the house he would have earned a spot at the tryout

Epley made it based on tryout but he has been underrated all year!

Just my opinion bit it looks like they went for size with some of the unexpected picks.

Ah, I don't really want to comment on individual names since we're discussing high school kids, but there were some surprises.

You would not be saying anything bad about any kids, just wondering who played well and could have made the team. I wouldn't want you to name who should not be on the team or who these players should replace.

Looking at the Indiana roster, It would not have mattered who was chosen for this team.

Indiana has 5 Big 10 signees and 2 going to national runner-up Butler.

Does Kentucky not have ONE player that can play in one of the major basketball conferences in the entire state?

Looking at the Indiana roster, It would not have mattered who was chosen for this team.

Indiana has 5 Big 10 signees and 2 going to national runner-up Butler.

Does Kentucky not have ONE player that can play in one of the major basketball conferences in the entire state?

Elijah PIttman, Ricardo Johnson, Josh Sewell, and Elisha Justice could all play in one of the major conferences and Justice will as a walk on.

Sewell and Johnson based their decisions on early playing time and where they fit in best. Let's not forget both committed and signed very early.

Pittman is taking the JUCO route, but it's already been made public by Huggins and Pittman that as long as he takes care of his academics he will be wearing a Mountaineers uni.

Obviously KY doesn't have as much overall talent, but they still have some talented kids that can play some ball.

Elijah PIttman, Ricardo Johnson, Josh Sewell, and Elisha Justice could all play in one of the major conferences and Justice will as a walk on.

Sorry. I just don't view it that way. You either are or you aren't and this year not 1 player signed to play in a major conference.

Not saying there aren't some talented kids. Just saying they are not talented enough to play in major conferences.

My guess is that this group had many skilled guards that are interchangeable in this lineup that didn't make the team. Flip a coin and take your pick because they are all pretty talented. The problem is, as we all know, athletic players with height are needed. :popcorn:

Looks like there were 5 players out of the Derek Smith All star program on the all star team...inlcuding Mr. Basketball! Congrats to the Derek Smith program for whatever role they played in helping develop these players.