SeaWorld Orlando Employee Killed By Whale

Rebel

I can't believe that they would still use the whale after one death. I am sure there will be some changes taking place at Sea World. I definitely would not want to be a trainer for the show.

That doesn't surprised me, just because from the television reports the whale didn't actually kill anyone, only it was in the tank when somene slipped in and was killed or drowned, not sure of entire story.

What did surprise me was the lack of attention to the whales behavior in the show prior to the death. Witnesses stated the show actually came to a halt in the show prior to this and the whales were acting strangely and the trainers had to stop the show and apologize for the whales behaviors and that it had never happened before.

If you have seen a show at Sea World before, you can tell when the animals deviate from their normal show behavior, but as many times I've been there, I've never seen the whales mis-perform.

I was 3 feet from Shamu on the waters edge at 7 years old after I was selected to do tricks with the whale and it is an experience I'll never forget.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That doesn't surprised me, just because from the television reports the whale didn't actually kill anyone, only it was in the tank when somene slipped in and was killed or drowned, not sure of entire story.

What did surprise me was the lack of attention to the whales behavior in the show prior to the death. Witnesses stated the show actually came to a halt in the show prior to this and the whales were acting strangely and the trainers had to stop the show and apologize for the whales behaviors and that it had never happened before.

If you have seen a show at Sea World before, you can tell when the animals deviate from their normal show behavior, but as many times I've been there, I've never seen the whales mis-perform.

I was 3 feet from Shamu on the waters edge at 7 years old after I was selected to do tricks with the whale and it is an experience I'll never forget.

That doesn't change the fact that they're wild animals.

As far as the random death - the article addresses it. It says that a man was found in only his underwear after he had stayed in the park overnight. Autopsy reports indicated that he died from hypothermia.

I now live down here in Orlando after moving after Christmas...and have season passes to Seaworld and my fiance and I were there this past weekend. We have seen the shows with the Killer Whales along with other shows at the park. Just watched the local news down here and they are now saying that the Whale "Tillikum" is the largest of the whales at Seaworld weighing over 12,000 pounds and that the whale has now been rumored to have now had three incidents with people including today's tragic events. The head trainer at SeaWorld says that the trainers would not get in the water with this whale and that they did his training from the side of the pool. Eyewitnesses say that the trainer was laying on her belly petting and feeding the whale when it went down in the pool and came back up and grabbed her by the arm and pulled her under and then coming back up with her in his mouth. Sirens then went off when the trainer went under and the other trainers came running but by the time they got to her she had already drowned. OSHA is investigating the death along with Orlando County Sheriffs Department. Needless to say it is a sad time down here in Orlando.

Hope everyone is doing well in the Commonwealth!!!

she died doing what she loved and adored and some nations and cultures would view her death as a celebration of her life dying, doing what she loved and by the animal that she loved as well.

Using this logic, I suppose I should consider myself lucky if I die having sex with my wife. I'll have to give this a bit of thought before I render my final decision.

Using this logic, I suppose I should consider myself lucky if I die having sex with my wife. I'll have to give this a bit of thought before I render my final decision.

:lol:

I'm not saying I agree with it, but we all know that many cultures would consider that death an honary death.

That doesn't change the fact that they're wild animals.

As far as the random death - the article addresses it. It says that a man was found in only his underwear after he had stayed in the park overnight. Autopsy reports indicated that he died from hypothermia.

What doesn't change the fact that they are wild animals?

How do we or anyone know if the guy kept his clothes on or stripped to his underwear? With that bit of extra knowledge, I'd almost say now that the whale had nothing to do with his death. If a 12,000 pound animal killed someone wieghing 200 pounds, I'd say not even the underwear would've been saved.

I'm not sure what that guy was thinking, even though I loved that profession I could never get myself to further that dream because of the fear of deep water, everytime I look down into that tank I freeze up, not to mention it is super cold and at night. Seriously, what was that guy thinking?

Just heard the main guy on the news...he said the whale will absolutely not be put down and the workers realize the dangers going into the job.

They just had an interview this morning with the head trainer and the park general manager saying that they are unsure what they are going to do with the whale, but that nothing has been ruled out including putting the animal down. The one thing they did say is that the animal will be taken out of the rotation for any shows, and will be kept away from the other animals until they decide what to do with him.

I haven't read through this, but I saw it on the news last night and my thoughts were:

1-12,000 lb creature-stay away

2-12,000 lb creature not used to having people in the water with it-stay away

3- the word "killer" inserted in front of a 12,000 lb creature-stay away.

I feel for the family, but this whale will most likely be put down for this and really...some human common sense could have prevented this.

There have been 3 deaths with this whale. One of them was an idiot who decided it was a bright idea to sneak into the park at night, and jump into the tank with the whale. You can't exactly blame that one on the whale or Sea World. The other one came before he came to Sea World. I'm not exactly sure what happened with that one.

The public being what it is, I'm sure the decision to take the whale "out of the rotation" is not being made lightly. No telling how many rubberneckers and gawkers (and their expendable income) are disappointed.

The whale is not in the rotation from what I saw on tv last night. The reports stated that his only part in the show was to use his huge fins to splash water on the spectators, and that he had no interaction with the trainers in the show. They said his main use to Sea World was as a stud, if that's what they call it in the whale breeding business. He had help produce 13 offspring since he has been at Sea World.