Obama: Navy Corpsemen

I hope those who are not Obama fans don't take the low road like the Bush haters did and make fun of him mispronouncing a word.

Take the high road and ignore it unlike the Dems who wanted to perpetuate the W myth that misspeaking equals lack of intelligence.

I didn't make fun of him, but as a science teacher I did cringe every time that he pronounced the work nuclear as nu-que-lur. Obviously, the word appeared many times in speeches over the years. Likewise, I am sure that member of various military corps cringed when they heard Obama's mispronunciation.

This one likely won't appear as much during Obama's tenure, however, I'd be disappointed if it wasn't correctly pronounced next time that he uses it.

I didn't make fun of him, but as a science teacher I did cringe every time that he pronounced the work nuclear as nu-que-lur. Obviously, the word appeared many times in speeches over the years. Likewise, I am sure that member of various military corps cringed when they heard Obama's mispronunciation.

This one likely won't appear as much during Obama's tenure, however, I'd be disappointed if it wasn't correctly pronounced next time that he uses it.

I believe JFK pronounced nuclear in a similiar fashion and he pronouced Cuba -Cuber. These items along with a host of other Kennedy tibits, a comedian by the name of Vaughn Meader(sp) created an entire album (as in 33 1/3 record) about the Kennedys. Even JFK laughed at it. I do not believe it was done with malicous intent, just poking some fun at JFK and his family.

I believe JFK pronounced nuclear in a similiar fashion and he pronouced Cuba -Cuber. These items along with a host of other Kennedy tibits, a comedian by the name of Vaughn Meader(sp) created an entire album (as in 33 1/3 record) about the Kennedys. Even JFK laughed at it. I do not believe it was done with malicous intent, just poking some fun at JFK and his family.

I was born in 1974. :isurrender: But, I'll believe all of the above. :thumb:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaughn_Meader

youtube has a bunch of excerpts from the album.

On October 22, 1962, Meader joined writers Bob Booker and Earle Doud and a small cast of entertainers and recorded The First Family, which would become the fastest-selling record in the history of the United States. By that Christmas, one million copies of the album had been sold; by the following year, it had sold an astonishing 7.5 million copies—unprecedented for any album, let alone a comedy album.

Still in his 20s, Meader was suddenly famous, rich, and in constant demand. He was profiled in Time and Life magazines, appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show, and played to packed houses in Las Vegas.

At the time, many Americans could recite favorite lines from the record (including "the rubber schwan [swan] is mine," and "move ahead ... with great vigah [vigor]," the latter lampooning the President's own words). The album poked fun at Kennedy's PT-109 history; the rocking chairs he used for his back pain; the Kennedy clan's well-known athleticism, football games and family togetherness; children in the White House; and Jackie Kennedy's soft-spoken nature and her redecoration of the White House; among many other bits of knowledge that the public voraciously consumed.

The parody was fairly good-natured. Kennedy himself was said to have given copies of the album as Christmas gifts, and once greeted a Democratic National Committee group by saying, "Vaughn Meader was busy tonight, so I came myself."[2] At one press conference, Kennedy was asked if the album had produced "annoyment [sic] or enjoyment." He jokingly responded, "I listened to Mr. Meader's record and, frankly, I thought it sounded more like Teddy than it did me. So, now he's annoyed."

Yep, along with that patriot John Kerry.

Evidently, Kerry is not alone. And yes...he is a patriot. I'm glad that you agree. :thumb:

In that same 109th Congress (with GOP in charge), there were 55 GOP Senators and 44 Democratic Senators and 1 Indep. Only 31 of those Senators had military service, 17 of which were Democratic and 13 were Republican. Source: Congressional Database.

Things have shifted slightly in the GOP favor since the Democratic Party has gained ascendancy in the current 110th Congress, but things are still fairly even. There are 20 senators with military service, 10 Democratic and 10 GOP. Sen. Jim Webb (D-VA) is the only member of either the House or Senate to have a family member (his son) serving in Iraq. There are only 70 House members with military service, of which 37 are Republican (including one who has died in office this year) and 33 are Democratic (including the only member of Congress who is a veteran of the Iraq invasion and occupation).