Why can't the public school powers that be get this one through their thick skulls?

theguru

I thought we were talking about open enrollment, but to answer your question, it will help a school like graves get further in the 4A playoffs by not having to play teams that get their players from all over the place. If a school like graves can get further in the playoffs and possibly win a championship, it will help the football program out tremendously. I know, I know, watered down, but think about this, why would a good coach want to go to a school that can't get the athletes rather than a school that can? If you don't like the public whiners then why do you even want to be assoicated with them?

I'm just failing to see how eliminating X/Trinity/DeSales, Cov Cath, O Cath, etc, will help counties like Barren, Grayson, Ohio, etc....I'm not gettin' it.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought we were talking about open enrollment, but to answer your question, it will help a school like graves get further in the 4A playoffs by not having to play teams that get their players from all over the place. If a school like graves can get further in the playoffs and possibly win a championship, it will help the football program out tremendously. I know, I know, watered down, but think about this, why would a good coach want to go to a school that can't get the athletes rather than a school that can? If you don't like the public whiners then why do you even want to be assoicated with them?
Graves County, and any other school from the west, would have to reach the semifinals before this proposal would ever affect them. The Eagles have never gotten past the second round of the playoffs, in any classification.

Graves County, and any other school from the west, would have to reach the semifinals before this proposal would ever affect them. The Eagles have never gotten past the second round of the playoffs, in any classification.

I know, I was just making a comparison. But you know, if a private school, catholic, baptist, whatever were to build a school right outside of Mayfield, the location would be perfect. They could draw from the whole Jackson Purchase area and have an awesome team.

I'll ask again, then...how is eliminating the private schools from post-season play going to change even one tiny thing about how well a school is doing in football?

Most public schools have no chance for several reasons which have nothing to do with private schools. It helps in a GRC type situation the year they had so much skilled talent. GRC just managed to get by and win it all with far far more talent than anyone else had. However, a lot of public schools still would have messed than one up too unless T and X are out of the way.

The point is, deep down most public schools know they don't have their act together and even with superior talent they can't win it all unless they eliminate the competition.

The point is, deep down most public schools know they don't have their act together and even with superior talent they can't win it all unless they eliminate the competition

What if we start a drive to have the KHSAA handicap football games just like handicaps are used in golf? Say, a public school plays a private...the public school gets 14 points to start the game. Other deviations could be added.

BTW, I'm not being serious. I think Guru hits it on the head with his comment.

From the article:

If this is the main complaint then all the public schools need to do is quit restricting their own boundaries and then this complaint is a non-issue.

You can't self impose restrictions on your own school district and then complain that others won't do the same. The practice is not only stupid but it is un-american.

Exactly...

The point is, deep down most public schools know they don't have their act together and even with superior talent they can't win it all unless they eliminate the competition.

You are right, most public schools know they don't have their stuff together. But you said it, even with their most superior talent they can't win it all.

My point is everyone should have open enrollment then in this area the playing field is level for everyone.

Open enrollment = no local taxpayer money for local schools.

It's bad enough that students in rural Kentucky have to wait for scraps from Frankfort to get better roads and schools. If we have an open enrollment, there will not be local money to help local schools - it will be eaten by urban areas.

I'm not selling my soul for a state championship.

It's bad enough that students in rural Kentucky have to wait for scraps from Frankfort to get better roads and schools. If we have an open enrollment, there will not be local money to help local schools - it will be eaten by urban areas.

So...keep the districts closed? Don't even think about restructuring the allocation of funds? All will be solved by eliminating the private schools from playing public schools in the post-season?

Call me the dim bulb in the box, but I don't get it. :confused:

:thumb:

So...keep the districts closed? Don't even think about restructuring the allocation of funds? All will be solved by eliminating the private schools from playing public schools in the post-season?

Do you honestly think restructuring funds would benefit rural East Kentucky schools?

How many major universities are located south of I-64 and east of I-75?

How many interstates run through the heart of East Kentucky?

Mountain folks have been waiting for funds to be restructured since the Eisenhower administration.

He is talking about open enrollment, not kicking out private schools.