Montana Family wins lawsuit against Louisville Slugger

UKBLUE1964

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Debbie Patch says she hopes the decision will make more people aware of the dangers associated with aluminum bats and that more youth leagues will switch to using wooden bats.

Then start a campaign. Sucks they lost a child but that's ridiculous. If someone dies in a car accident can the family sue the automaker because of the lack of warnings on the car?

Those people in the jury are morons.

This woman must not watch much MLB, because if she saw how those big hunks of bat fly off into the field of play, she wouldn't be thinking wooden bats were all that safe either.

I wonder if it's too late for me to sue Louisville Slugger because the bats they made never allowed me to hit a curve ball. If I had been able to hit the curve ball I could have millions of dollars over the past twenty years. I am willing to settle out of court for $10 million.

It would have to be class action because I have the exact same case to file!:D

The bat set the ball in motion and thus was the proximate cause of the death.

Of course, the pitcher threw the ball at a certain speed, which caused the bat to connect with the ball, redirecting the ball at an even greater speed.....Physics.....I had hoped to never have to use it again. :lol:

I hope it leads to the banning of aluminum bats.

The would be an expensive undertaking. Aluminum bats can be dangerous, but they very rarely break. Wooden bats aren't as dangerous, but how many would you need to complete a 30-game high school season?

The would be an expensive undertaking. Aluminum bats can be dangerous, but they very rarely break. Wooden bats aren't as dangerous, but how many would you need to complete a 30-game high school season?

Ask the parent of a pitcher who has been nailed by a ball , including these parents, if they are worried about cost.

IMO the extra cost is worth it.

It's tougher to break a wooden bat than you might think.

You would not see nearly as many broken bats on the high school level than one would imagine. To break a bat requires a strong individual swinging it and a pitcher throwing hard.

It's tougher to break a wooden bat than you might think.

You would not see nearly as many broken bats on the high school level than one would imagine. To break a bat requires a strong individual swinging it and a pitcher throwing hard.

I agree with what you're saying, but I think it's more the pitching and the movement of the ball that breaks the bats.

I agree with what you're saying, but I think it's more the pitching and the movement of the ball that breaks the bats.

Good call. I meant to include that you have to hit the bat in a special part to break it.

I bet a HS team would break less than 10 per season. I'm tempted to guess less than 5, but feel confident in less than 10.

Why not sue Diamond or whomever made the ball? It was the ball that did the damage?

And if you agree that the statement ^ is retarded, then how in the world can a jury of semi-intelligent folks rule against the bat manufacturer? However, Montana may not have a huge pool of jurors to select from.:idunno:

Good call. I meant to include that you have to hit the bat in a special part to break it.

I bet a HS team would break less than 10 per season. I'm tempted to guess less than 5, but feel confident in less than 10.

I don't know Crazy, maybe years ago this would be correct. Nowadays wooden bats are made lighter with thinner handles. I remember back in the early 70s our high school team went thru quite a few bats.

I also remember seeing an experimental bat on a trip to LS Museum a few years ago. It was wood but had rings of some sort of resin in the barrel and near the handle. Wonder whatever became of it?

Then start a campaign. Sucks they lost a child but that's ridiculous. If someone dies in a car accident can the family sue the automaker because of the lack of warnings on the car?

Those people in the jury are morons.

It wouldn't excuse idiocy, but if they put the money towards that, I could deal with this a little better. Use the money to bring about a change instead of investing it in home improvements or something.