Would an undefeated UC team get a title shot over one loss USC, Ohio St, etc

Original Rookie

Okay lets say this:

-Texas loses a game to OU. OU wins the Big 12 South and B12 Title game.

-UF beats LSU and goes the entire regular season undefeated.

-Bama goes undefeated in the regular season and beats UF in the SEC title game.

-Virginia Tech wins out.

-Cincy remains undefeated.

-USC wins out.

So you have Bama vs either a:

-1 loss UF team (one of the most hyped teams/players in history)

-1 loss Texas (2nd in Big 12 South)

-2 loss Oklahoma (Big 12 Champion)

-1 loss Virginia Tech (ACC Champion)

-1 loss USC (Pac-10 Champion)

-undefeated Cincy (Big East Champion)

Who plays in it then?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay lets say this:

-Virginia Tech wins out.

-USC wins out.

Who plays in it then?

If the SEC Championship is close you might see a rematch.

Okay lets say this:

-Virginia Tech wins out.

-USC wins out.

Who plays in it then?

Ohio State. :thumb:

Ohio State. :thumb:

They might be able to lay as good of a claim as anyone in that kind of situation. I think if all of that somehow happens, it would be possible SEC rematch, if the SEC Title game is a great game, as FKYWrestler said. Actually, that wouldn't be too bad, and would possibly put an end to the BCS for good.

I really think Ohio State will lose a conference game this year. Maybe this weekend. Without UC playing one of the considered "power house" teams they will not make it to the title game. They HAVE to have one of those quality non conference wins. For example; Florida, Texas, USC, OSU, or Oklahoma. Without a win against someone like that I don't see them making it.

3 of the teams ahead of UC have to play each other. Florida must play LSU and Alabama. Alabama has to play LSU, and then there is a conference championship game. There is the potential that UC could be #3 heading into the final week of the season, behind possibly an SEC school and Texas. I don't think that Va Tech will go through w/out another loss.

Florida and Alabama do not play unless it is in the conference championship. Whoever loses between LSU and Alabama will not be making it to the conference title game in all likelihood. If Florida does not lose to LSU, they probably will not lose unless it is in the title game. If I were a betting man, I'd bet that the SEC Champion will have only one loss, which would probably place them ahead of Cincinnati.

I think a one loss Texas team would still be ahead of Cincinnati, but they really would need to win the Big 12. The teams I believe are capable of beating Texas are Oklahoma and especially Oklahoma State since that one will be on the road. If they lost to one of those two, they'd need that team to lose twice so they could get the Big 12 title game. I don't think a team that doesn't win their division is going to get a pass like Nebraska did that one time.

I think a one loss USC or one loss Ohio State will be ahead of Cincinnati. I think an undefeated Boise State would actually be ahead of Cincinnati. I don't believe TCU would remain ahead of them. So in short for Cincy:

-Go undefeated

-Have Texas lose to Oklahoma or Oklahoma State and have that team go to the Big 12 title game

-Have USC, Ohio State, Virginia Tech, and Boise State lose

-Alternately, have one of those teams not lose and have utter chaos erupt in the SEC

They might be able to lay as good of a claim as anyone in that kind of situation. I think if all of that somehow happens, it would be possible SEC rematch, if the SEC Title game is a great game, as FKYWrestler said. Actually, that wouldn't be too bad, and would possibly put an end to the BCS for good.

Just wanted to see all the Buckeye haters jump out of their seats. However, a one loss Big Ten team or even a one loss Miami could also play into the equation.

What if Boise wins out why dont they deserve a shot?

It's not really who deserves to be in there, IMO. Many can make a good and valid claim. It's who deserves to be there the most under the current system and rules. This season is going to be a mess if these teams keep it up.

Remember, we're dealing with the BCS here, not the AP poll and not the Coaches poll alone. Computers, computers, computers. However, the Coaches poll may be the deal maker or breaker.

Based on the remaining schedules, an undefeated UC team could get in over a one loss team, if...

they upend USF a week from tomorrow

the Bulls keep the wheels from falling completely off, and win out. including the game on Nov. 28 with Miami.

Oklahoma wins the big 12.

Miami wins all of their regular season games, except the USF game, and VT loses 2 conference games (VT losing 2 conference games is the only way Miami gets in the ACC Championship game.). Then Miami has to win the ACC Championship. (BTW, the USF game and the ACC championship are both at RayJay, a week from one another.)

Rutgers and/or Pitt wins the remainder of their games, short USF, in a convincing fashion. Pitt must beat Notre Dame at home for their part. By the same token, ND has to keep winning, less Pitt, as well.

As a USF fan, I don't like that scenario, on more than one level, but it is what it is. UC needs a boost to their strength of schedule for the computers. Pitt, USF, and Rutgers and those programs' successes tie directly to that SOS.

This is all my opinion, of course, and done with analysis derived when I should have be working. :D :jump:

I seriously doubt it.

I wouldn't rule it out completely thought. It would have to be a perfect storm, IMO. That would include what swamprat stated, along with the losses for the other teams being to the right opponents and at the right times. Even then, I'm not sure that would be enough, but at the least it would take that much.

I don't think they would, if USC and Ohio State win out, both will have far better wins on their resumes than UC. USC will have went to Columbus and beaten Ohio State and Ohio State will have went to Happy Valley and beaten Penn State, I believe they-the Buckeyes-will do this and we'll be sick at the prospect of having Ohio State in another title game. But going on the overall body of work, a one loss USC or one-loss Ohio State, or one-loss Texas, one-loss Alabama or a one-loss Florida would have better body's of work than UC, who plays in a weak conference and played a relatively light Non-Conference schedule.

OK now that I've had some more time to think about this. UC's QB, PIKE is getting alot of press right now, and alot of people are talking him up as a possible Heisman candidate. If UC goes undefeated, and Pike play GOOD- Very Good, essentially keeping his Heisman chances "alive", I could kinda maybe see UC getting the poll votes to make it into the title game.

I say they wouldn't get in over either. USC has some games that are suppose to be "big games", in Oregon and Notre Dame. If OSU beats PSU, that should give them enough momentum to pass UC, or at least that is what I think.

I don't see anyway that OSU gets in the Title game over an undefeated UC team. The Polls definitely won't have them over UC, because there is no way IMO that they would want to take a chance of having OSU get blown out again in the Title game. They would catch way to much heat for having a team like OSU over an undefeated team like UC.