Favorite Movies (that are relatively unknown)

cch5432

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Name of the Rose - Sean Connery and a very young Christian Slater as Franciscan monks brought in to solve a murder mystery at a 13th-century Italian monastery (based on the brilliant book by Umberto Eco).

Ran - If you're a true film geek, then you know this one. It's Akira Kurosawa's retelling of Shakespeare's "King Lear" set in feudal Japan. It's one of his few color films and he does it beautifully.

Brilliant movie as are most of Kurosawa's flicks.

I'm going to do twitteresque capsules of a few:

Cicade De Deus - 50% of the time I'd probably call this my favorite movie. It's easily the best movie of this decade.

Dogville - A Dane who has never set foot in America makes a movie with intensely harsh criticism of the USA. I still find it great and actually extremely evil. Nicole Kidman is very underappreciated for her role.

Malèna - An interesting movie that deals with one boy's obsession and one woman's beauty.

Audition - Now this is a horror film. I remember reading somewhere that Rob Zombie found this difficult to watch.

Y tu mamá también - Two boys in their teens and a beautiful 20 something go on a road triip...

I'll probably post a few more when I can get home and stare at my DVD collection.

I'm going to do twitteresque capsules of a few:

Cicade De Deus - 50% of the time I'd probably call this my favorite movie. It's easily the best movie of this decade.

Dogville - A Dane who has never set foot in America makes a movie with intensely harsh criticism of the USA. I still find it great and actually extremely evil. Nicole Kidman is very underappreciated for her role.

Malèna - An interesting movie that deals with one boy's obsession and one woman's beauty.

Audition - Now this is a horror film. I remember reading somewhere that Rob Zombie found this difficult to watch.

Y tu mamá también - Two boys in their teens and a beautiful 20 something go on a road triip...

I'll probably post a few more when I can get home and stare at my DVD collection.

Y tu mama tambien is the director who did Babel, correct?

I'll add several.

The Cutting Edge.

Fresh Horses

Strange Brew

The World According to Garp

Everybody's All-American

Take off, you Hoser!

Y tu mama tambien is the director who did Babel, correct?
Nope, that guy also did 21 Grams and Amores Perros which are both excellent.

The director of Y tu mamá también is Alfonso Cuarón who also directed Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban and there were concerns among parents when he was selected. Another decent flick he directed is Children of Men with Clive Owen.