Michael Crabtree

If Michael Crabtree were to sign with the 49ers tonight (14 Sept), when would he see his first action? Would he even be able to contribute to the team after missing so much development to this point?

Toward Midseason? Yes

Right off the Bat? No

He is a pre-madonna and I don't blame the 49ers organization not even putting up with him. Let the guy sit if he won't change his demands. 49ers seem to be doing just fine without him.

Why do people have to be so selfish.

The guy is just crying about the fact that he wasn't the #1 WR taken (when in reality he SHOULD have been). Get over it, not everything is going to go your way in life. Regardless of where you are taking, you will be making millions a year playing a game while others work their butts of 5-7 days a week making maybe $30,000 a year.

Yes it's happened and the odds are that he will fail.

He is making a huge mistake. I understand getting what you can but at some point you have to realize you have millions of dollars you are turning your back on. This will be a better WR class and do you think GM's want to roll the dice on him after sitting out? He is an idiot and getting bad information!

I loved it that the Niners won because my buddy and Singletary but I also love it that they won without him! He needs to get his rear in there.

My opinion is that they would put a package in for him so they can use his abilities then bring him along. It will probably be next year before he would be ready for the whole playbook.

If and when he does enter the NFL, and I'm sure he eventually will, he is going to get a reality check I'm sure from some of the CBs of the league. I'm almost to the point where I'll be rooting against the guy on every play.

WR is the hardest position to learn in the NFL and it certainly doesn't help skipping all team functions.

Do you think GM's want to roll the dice on him after sitting out?

That's a BIG gamble for a GM, especially considering since he is 49ers property all they way until the draft starts. This means he will not even be able to work out for any other team. For a GM to draft this guy knowing he may not be able to sign him without even evaluating him after a year off his a huge risk.

Each day he sits out he is losing money. If he sits an entire year that is brutal. One year of no contact.... 2nd or 3rd round pick.

That's a BIG gamble for a GM, especially considering since he is 49ers property all they way until the draft starts. This means he will not even be able to work out for any other team. For a GM to draft this guy knowing he may not be able to sign him without even evaluating him after a year off his a huge risk.

This makes no sense at this point for Crabtree. Odds are, he's already destroyed his rookie season. But, he could still sign a multi-million dollar contract.

If he doesn't sign...

1. He loses millions of dollars.

2. He sits out a year and the 'Niners own his rights (you listed the implications of that above).

3. He sits out a year...who knows how that affects him? Whoever gets him next year, not only gets a rookie WR, but a rookie WR who hasn't played football for more than a year. So, in addition to learning how to play WR in the NFL, he has to shake off the rust. Anyone remember Mike Williams?

I've got a question.

Let's say things drag on and Crabtree sits out the entire season. But, the 49ers still want to sign him...if they were to sign him in March, how much would they give him? At that point, is Crabtree viewed by San Francisco as a top 10 pick, or a 2nd-3rd rounder? If teams aren't going to pick him until later, why would San Francisco pay him big money? Crabtree's leverage is completely gone now. His value drops the longer this thing goes, and at a certain point, it will plummet, IMO.