Rick Pitino to Arizona????

Eagle 4 Life

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Arizona is actually a very interesting job. If you had to name the top 5 "iconic" jobs in the country for basketball, you've got UNC, Duke, Kansas, probably Kentucky, and then the 5th slot is open. I would have said UCLA, but they are living entirely on past glory. Michigan State is working its way in, Indiana dropped out a while back, but out West, there is no more respected program than Arizona.

They are a perennial western power with a long history of winning. They have a ton of money, and can pay a coach whatever they want. Out West, they are the destination for recruits. Arizona is an extremely attractive school and facility, nestled amidst some of the most monied interests and areas in the U.S., with a wealthy, knowledgable, conservative fan base. They are coming out of the Lute Olsen era, and have an expectation of high perfromance.

I say the next part as the utmost fan of UL basketball: No matter how long their history is and how well they do, Louisville is always (like Memphis and Pittsburgh) going to have a difficult time being perceived as anything other than a metro school. I would say that is why the Calipari to Kentucky rumours seem so strong.

Rick is a smart man. He knows he can leave the Louisville program now with the incoming coach ready to receive 1) an incoming, new arena; 2) a pretty decent starting five with some excellent incoming recruits; 3) an expectation of winning in the Big East. He could leave with the program not in disarray.

For him, personally, he goes to warmer environs, with golf courses and recreation and beautiful environment, to a school that will pay him a lot of money, to a Western venue with easy access to the L.A. basin and its recruits as well as companies that will pay him $50K per pop to speak to them; and the opportunity to go to a conference that is down and he could take the credit if Arizona were to somehow "revive" the reputation and performance of the conference.

It would be like Joe Torre going West. I don't think the rumour should be discounted.

Arizona is actually a very interesting job. If you had to name the top 5 "iconic" jobs in the country for basketball, you've got UNC, Duke, Kansas, probably Kentucky, and then the 5th slot is open. I would have said UCLA, but they are living entirely on past glory. Michigan State is working its way in, Indiana dropped out a while back, but out West, there is no more respected program than Arizona.

They are a perennial western power with a long history of winning. They have a ton of money, and can pay a coach whatever they want. Out West, they are the destination for recruits. Arizona is an extremely attractive school and facility, nestled amidst some of the most monied interests and areas in the U.S., with a wealthy, knowledgable, conservative fan base. They are coming out of the Lute Olsen era, and have an expectation of high perfromance.

I say the next part as the utmost fan of UL basketball: No matter how long their history is and how well they do, Louisville is always (like Memphis and Pittsburgh) going to have a difficult time being perceived as anything other than a metro school. I would say that is why the Calipari to Kentucky rumours seem so strong.

Rick is a smart man. He knows he can leave the Louisville program now with the incoming coach ready to receive 1) an incoming, new arena; 2) a pretty decent starting five with some excellent incoming recruits; 3) an expectation of winning in the Big East. He could leave with the program not in disarray.

For him, personally, he goes to warmer environs, with golf courses and recreation and beautiful environment, to a school that will pay him a lot of money, to a Western venue with easy access to the L.A. basin and its recruits as well as companies that will pay him $50K per pop to speak to them; and the opportunity to go to a conference that is down and he could take the credit if Arizona were to somehow "revive" the reputation and performance of the conference.

It would be like Joe Torre going West. I don't think the rumour should be discounted.

UCLA has been to three of the last four final fours...

5 reasons wh Rick stays a Cardinal.

1. Rick has learned from his past mistakes (Leaving UK)

2. UL is in Big East Conference.

3. He has a bunch of Talent returning (for those that don't believe I have some swamp land fr sale)

4. I think he would Enjoy matching witts with Cal. This would bring back the Dream to the DREAM GAME.

5. My source says so...............LOL......:clap:

UCLA living on past glory?

They won a title as recently as '95 and made three consecutive Final Four appearances prior to this year. If they're required to match what Wooden accomplished to progress beyond past glory, then there's no hope.

He isn't afraid of Coach Cal...

Pitino (UofL) was the last team to beat them in conference. Now, they don't like each other at all. The UK/UofL rivalary will be taken to a new level. Most Card fans can't stand Coach Cal, and you can add me to that list.