Willie Schlarman: Did He Coach His Last Game at Highlands Today?

No dog in the fight but two schools of thought when a coach is thinking about leaving a program.

He can have a last big hurrah based on the talent returning with a top 3 team in N Ky or he can leave his replacement with that same top 3 talent to get him off to a good start.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me throw the question back to you since you lobbed the grenade about him competing with football, why do you think he would be tired of competing with football? What support has he not received because of football? how as Highlands football program hurt the boys bball game? Bring your A game my friend because as most on here know, I can't stand the baloney on here about football hurting the other sports at Highlands.

First of all, I mentioned football because that was the first reason given to me.

I do think football's success hurts other sports at Highlands but that's a compliment to the football program. The competition level is so high that some boys are afraid to play other sports for fear that it will put them behind. IMO its why some kids don't play baseball. They're afraid of missing spring practice. I know there are some boys that could be playing baseball this year that are trying for the #1 position on the JV TEAM for football. I'm sure basketball suffers the same fate.

I would be surprised if you disagree.

Agreed. PM me if you know why there was no love lost or at least heard of supposedly why there was no love lost. I've just never heard of any real issues and like I said, at the Boosters dance a couple of years ago, Willie and I had a long talk and things were good (we did have a "chat" about 8th grade basketball try outs going on the week of the 8th grade Jr. Football all star game however:D). I hope he keeps coaching as he is a great coach, and a great man. Comes from a great family that I vacationed with when Willie was a young in. Fun times.

I know of no bigger HHS football supporter than you. I'm guessing Willie realizes that as well. IF, and I repeat "IF," he had a bone to pick with the football program or Dale in particular you're probably not the guy he's going to let in on that.

I hope he does stay around for one more year. This team he has coming back seemed like a very hard working group of young men. And from what I hear for the most part basketball is their primary sport, except for maybe Grubbs and 1 or 2 others.

Willie is one of the most respected coaches in the state and even when I played against him I knew how good of coach he was.

Agreed. PM me if you know why there was no love lost or at least heard of supposedly why there was no love lost. I've just never heard of any real issues and like I said, at the Boosters dance a couple of years ago, Willie and I had a long talk and things were good (we did have a "chat" about 8th grade basketball try outs going on the week of the 8th grade Jr. Football all star game however:D). I hope he keeps coaching as he is a great coach, and a great man. Comes from a great family that I vacationed with when Willie was a young in. Fun times.

:isurrender::isurrender: I'm heading over to the Automotive Repair Shop thread where I know I'm safe.:lol:

I know of no bigger HHS football supporter than you. I'm guessing Willie realizes that as well. IF, and I repeat "IF," he had a bone to pick with the football program or Dale in particular you're probably not the guy he's going to let in on that.

Then you haven't met my wife or her family! :scared:

Does Willie/? keep 10 Seniors next year?

It is stuff like this that I think has Willie doubting whether he wants to coach or not next year. You have made comments all year regarding the fact that no seniors were on the team this year. I will ask you how many tried out? What senior that did not play could have helped this team? If a senior really wanted to play then they should have come to practice and made the coach cut them. There are some people that I know personally that did just that when they played. Perhaps if some of the football players that played all summer would have come out then things would be different. I will ask you as the parent of a football player, why do more football players not try out for the basketball team each year? Where was Daniel Gold this year? Where was Austin Collinsworth? I think that these are questions that need to be answered. I have a son that currently plays all three sports and I am going to do my darnedest to encourage him to play all three in high school because you only get to do it once.

It is stuff like this that I think has Willie doubting whether he wants to coach or not next year. You have made comments all year regarding the fact that no seniors were on the team this year. I will ask you how many tried out? What senior that did not play could have helped this team? If a senior really wanted to play then they should have come to practice and made the coach cut them. There are some people that I know personally that did just that when they played. Perhaps if some of the football players that played all summer would have come out then things would be different. I will ask you as the parent of a football player, why do more football players not try out for the basketball team each year? Where was Daniel Gold this year? Where was Austin Collinsworth? I think that these are questions that need to be answered. I have a son that currently plays all three sports and I am going to do my darnedest to encourage him to play all three in high school because you only get to do it once.[/QUOTE]

Good luck with having your son play all 3 in high school. It does not happen much any more and hopefully it will be his choice in the end.

It is stuff like this that I think has Willie doubting whether he wants to coach or not next year. You have made comments all year regarding the fact that no seniors were on the team this year. I will ask you how many tried out? What senior that did not play could have helped this team? If a senior really wanted to play then they should have come to practice and made the coach cut them. There are some people that I know personally that did just that when they played. Perhaps if some of the football players that played all summer would have come out then things would be different. I will ask you as the parent of a football player, why do more football players not try out for the basketball team each year? Where was Daniel Gold this year? Where was Austin Collinsworth? I think that these are questions that need to be answered. I have a son that currently plays all three sports and I am going to do my darnedest to encourage him to play all three in high school because you only get to do it once.

I think it's great your son plays all 3! Good luck to him! I think it's a shame that some kids only play one sport due to parental or coaches influence because they need to "improve their skills in their best sport" or whatnot in order to progress to the college level. I know of plenty of kids who have played all three or at least two major sports in HS and moved on to college just fine!

I would hope/think that Schlarman will come back for at least another year due to having what is more than likely the 2nd best team in the area next year. But he apparently will have a young one at home and it will be hard to devote so much time to basketball when your heart is somewhere else...regardless, good luck to him in whatever he chooses and I don't think his leaving would have anything to do with football.