Willie Schlarman: Did He Coach His Last Game at Highlands Today?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Highlands losing in the semis to Boone today, did we see Willie coaching his last game as the Birds head coach? Is he through? Is he tired of competing with football?

Anyone?

He does have his first baby on the way, so his priorities certainly could have changed--Why the speculation??

I have heard some rumors about this as well. With the group he has coming back you might think he would stick it out one more year. With that said, having a newborn at home and being gone as much as you are in hoops for 5 months is tough.

I have heard some rumors about this as well. With the group he has coming back you might think he would stick it out one more year. With that said, having a newborn at home and being gone as much as you are in hoops for 5 months is tough.

I would agree with that statement,however, as the child gets older it will be tougher. I have heard he is done from a person close to him. It seems like he had more success at Brossart than Highlands. I think that may have something to do with it. He did not have to compete for the athletes with no football there when he coached. It has been a fairly long drought for the Birds going to Rupp.

With Highlands losing in the semis to Boone today, did we see Willie coaching his last game as the Birds head coach? Is he through? Is he tired of competing with football?

Anyone?

I'd heard about this rumor recently and started asking around. What I've heard is that Willie is supposedly thinking of hanging it up. I've also heard he will probably come back for at least one more year.

His motivation I'm told has nothing to do with being tired of competing with football. I'm told he's just getting burned out being a head coach and with a young child at home wants to devote more time to his family. I'm not privy to every thing that Willie has to deal with as a head coach, but from what I've heard and what he told me directly a couple of years ago at the Booster's dance, he's happy with the cooperation he's gotten in re the football program.

Let me throw the question back to you since you lobbed the grenade about him competing with football, why do you think he would be tired of competing with football? What support has he not received because of football? how as Highlands football program hurt the boys bball game? Bring your A game my friend because as most on here know, I can't stand the baloney on here about football hurting the other sports at Highlands.

This should get interesting because I know almost for a fact that Willie reads this site. I'm sure the right information about why he would be considering on

hanging it up will be posted on here. Or maybe it won't..Who knows, maybe this isn't the right place to be discussing issues between 2 sports within 1 school.

I have heard that there is no love loss at times but that is something I have heard while sitting around with some very close friends. So that probably has no validation there...I guess.

I would hope the Football program wouldn't have anything to do with Willie wanting to hang it up. That would be a huge shame if it was.

This should get interesting because I know almost for a fact that Willie reads this site. I'm sure the right information about why he would be considering on

hanging it up will be posted on here. Or maybe it won't..Who knows, maybe this isn't the right place to be discussing issues between 2 sports within 1 school.

I have heard that there is no love loss at times but that is something I have heard while sitting around with some very close friends. So that probably has no validation there...I guess.

I would hope the Football program wouldn't have anything to do with Willie wanting to hang it up. That would be a huge shame if it was.

Agreed. PM me if you know why there was no love lost or at least heard of supposedly why there was no love lost. I've just never heard of any real issues and like I said, at the Boosters dance a couple of years ago, Willie and I had a long talk and things were good (we did have a "chat" about 8th grade basketball try outs going on the week of the 8th grade Jr. Football all star game however:D). I hope he keeps coaching as he is a great coach, and a great man. Comes from a great family that I vacationed with when Willie was a young in. Fun times.