2009 Highlands

Ram

To those of you "in-the-know" at HHS - what do you think is the likelihood that the second Ryle game will get cancelled? What is the agreement between the schools on cancelling this game? How late can it be done? Does the other school have to agree or first be allowed to find their own replacement game?

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To those of you "in-the-know" at HHS - what do you think is the likelihood that the second Ryle game will get cancelled? What is the agreement between the schools on cancelling this game? How late can it be done? Does the other school have to agree or first be allowed to find their own replacement game?

I'd say it's extremely unlikely that it will be cancelled. I know that Dale had a very, very tough time finding the games that we have lined up and the odds at this late in the game of finding another team that matches up on the schedule are slim to none. And I'm reasonably certain that Ryle would have to agree to us cancelling one of the games. For what it's worth, in talking to Dale, he's really okay with playing Ryle twice. Ryle will have a good team this year and it will be interesting to be able to measure the improvement of both teams. Heck, don't some basketball teams play an opponent twice in the regular season?

Maybe I have a bad schedule for next year but I thought HHS played Boone Co. the fifth week of the season and Holmes the sixth. Did Boone switch to Holmes week because St. X had an opening fifth week???

You are confused about the term "week". Week is not the same as game in high school scheduling. We actually play Manual (our first game) in Week zero. So while Holmes may have been our 6th game, we were to play them in Week 5. What makes it even more confusing when you talk about games with teams out of the state, is the fact as I understand it that Ky bases it's weeks on the NFHS calendar and Ohio does not. So what is Week 1 to Ky, isn't necessarily Week 1 to Ohio. If I have that wrong, would one of the coaches on board correct my bad info. Thanks.

I'd say it's extremely unlikely that it will be cancelled. I know that Dale had a very, very tough time finding the games that we have lined up and the odds at this late in the game of finding another team that matches up on the schedule are slim to none. And I'm reasonably certain that Ryle would have to agree to us cancelling one of the games. For what it's worth, in talking to Dale, he's really okay with playing Ryle twice. Ryle will have a good team this year and it will be interesting to be able to measure the improvement of both teams. Heck, don't some basketball teams play an opponent twice in the regular season?

Sure, but those teams also play 25-30 games a season, so doubling up an opponent (or several) is not such a big deal. When you only have 10 regular season games, it just seems a shame to play the same team twice. No offense at all - it'll be just swell getting beat twice by you :irked: - but I'd much prefer to play another school for that second game. And if I had to guess, I'd bet most HHS followers would prefer be playing someone else.

Another reason I don't particularly care for the two HHS-Ryle games (not that anyone will particularly care in light of the being an HHS thread :lol:), is that it hurts Ryle's playoff tiebreaker opportunties. Could we beat HHS? Sure. Is it likely? No. So we'll likely get 0 tiebreaker points, which could ultimately affect whether you make the playoffs or get a home game. Would this not be somewhat akin to HHS scheduling two games against say, Colerain (assuming, of course, Colerain's wins could be counted in a tiebreaker scenario)?

Another reason I don't particularly care for the two HHS-Ryle games (not that anyone will particularly care in light of the being an HHS thread :lol:), is that it hurts Ryle's playoff tiebreaker opportunties. Could we beat HHS? Sure. Is it likely? No. So we'll likely get 0 tiebreaker points, which could ultimately affect whether you make the playoffs or get a home game. Would this not be somewhat akin to HHS scheduling two games against say, Colerain (assuming, of course, Colerain's wins could be counted in a tiebreaker scenario)?

While I'm sure the Ryle coaching staff won't agree publicly with your assessment of Ryle's chances, you certainly raise a good point about the tiebreaker.

Playing the same team twice in one season isn't common but I believe Bellevue and Dayton still play twice and I remember Boone and Conner playing twice.

I understand your point about tie breakers and it's a valid one. Then again, just beat the other teams in the district and don't worry about it. :clap:

Me, I'd rather play a good program like Ryle twice, than play them once and play a weak program in the other game.

A tad bit dramatic? Epic? :D

When is the last time Highlands played St. X Cincy? With what the Birds and the Bombers return next year this will be an EPIC battle. Write it down LN. :taz:

This DVD will be shelved right up there with Braveheart, Patton and Lawrence of Arabia right Henry. :lol:

When is the last time Highlands played St. X Cincy? With what the Birds and the Bombers return next year this will be an EPIC battle. Write it down LN. :taz:

This DVD will be shelved right up there with Braveheart, Patton and Lawrence of Arabia right Henry. :lol:

Actually, I was discussing this game yesterday with a gentleman that informed me that in 1945 Highlands played Cincy x at Highlands. It would be the last time these two teams would meet. It was a 0 - 13 loss for Highlands. However, the reason they would not schedule Cincy X again is because Cincy X arrived by streetcar which they destroyed. There were fights in the stands and fights on the field. Therefore enough distruction to end this match up.

From what I can find, Highlands has played X five times. Of those 5 meetings, Highlands only won once in 1943, 14 - 13.

I'm really starting to worry about you qryche. :D You are turning into more of a wacko, over the top Highlands football fan than either Henry or Tbird. :laugh:

I'm really starting to worry about you qryche. :D You are turning into more of a wacko, over the top Highlands football fan than either Henry or Tbird. :laugh:

No possible way at all. Those guys are in a class all by themselves along with you LN. Oh and Birdsfan/JBwill/familytradition/tdyballgame/......I could go on and on.

From what I can find, Highlands has played X five times. Of those 5 meetings, Highlands only won once in 1943, 14 - 13.

According to the information I have, HHS and Cincy Saint X played in 1916, with Highlands winning that game 7-0 (Saint X has a 5-2 W-L advantage all-time). Saint X's online records only go back to 1926, leaving this game out (and thus showing a 5-1 Saint X advantage).

According to the information I have, HHS and Cincy Saint X played in 1916, with Highlands winning that game 7-0 (giving Saint X a 5-2 W-L advantage all-time). Saint X's online records only go back to 1926, leaving this game out.

Your are correct Sir. I didn't go back far enough.:thumb: I have learned my lesson to do a more thorough search.

According to the information I have, HHS and Cincy Saint X played in 1916, with Highlands winning that game 7-0 (Saint X has a 5-2 W-L advantage all-time). Saint X's online records only go back to 1926, leaving this game out (and thus showing a 5-1 Saint X advantage).
This is what they had in this morning's paper as well.