111 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins this Game

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm holding off on a prediction until later in the week but here are the keys for Holmes to win:

1. Ball Control- Holmes has to take care of the ball and keep SC's traps from forcing them in to easy turnovers. Both Riley and R. Johnson need to show some toughness with the rock and be aggressive. They also need to have good ball movement to catch the less athletic SC defenders out of place defensively, which will lead to easy lanes to the basket.

2. Rebounding- Holmes has to keep Phares off the offensive glass and box out. They are athletic and big enough that they SHOULD be able to out-rebound SC, but the key to that is not missing box out assignments. All 5 Holmes starters need to crash the boards at all times and follow their shots.

3. Defense- Holmes has to stop their guards' penetration and keep them out of the lane. Apply pressure on the ball at all times and limit their second shots. If Holmes can force them to beat them with jumpers, they should be in good shape. SC isn't exactly a very good shooting team from outside, outside of Guyn and Euton, IMO.

4. JAMEL RILEY- He has to step up and be a leader in this game. He IMO will be the best shooter on the floor, hands down. He is 14 for 17 on the year and 9 for 10 from behind the arc. (Look up his stats) If he can catch fire from outside early, it will really open up Holmes offensively and take SC out of their comfort zone.

Key Match ups:

6'5 R. Johnson v 6'8 Euton

Defensively I think Euton will have trouble guarding Johnson. I saw him in both the Ballard and Duncanville game and he looked a little slow, which could lead to him getting in foul trouble if Johnson is smart and drives to the basket. Johnson will be too quick and athletic for Euton to stay with. On the other hand, Euton will have about a 2 or 3 inch height advantage. He is going to have to realize he needs to try and stay down low this game. Johnson is too good and long defensively for him to stay out on the perimeter and try to dribble around but down low, he could be very effective against the smaller Holmes player.. Adv: R. Johnson

6'7 Pittman v 6'7 Phares

This is probably the most even match up on the floor IMO. Both have the ability to play both inside and out but I think Pittman might be a little more consistent from outside and have more range, which he has proven this year and last year in the state tournament. Pittman will be the more athletic of the two and has to use this to his advantage. Phares on the other hand needs to be aggressive down low on the blocks. Pittman's 7 ft wingspan really causes problems for defenders, so Phares will have to use his body down low or he'll get dominated on the boards all night. I think Phares might be a little better at finishing around the rim but Pittman is better outside. Adv. Even

6'4 J. Johnson v 6'4 Chad Jackson

I think Chad is really going to struggle with JJ's defensive pressure. Jackson has shown that he is prone to turning the ball over and I don't think this game will be an exception with a tall, long defender on him. Chad will need to be aggressive with the ball and try to get in the lane and penetrate the defense. Defensively he needs to keep JJ off the boards. He has made a living with offensive putbacks. If Jackson doesn't play tight defense, JJ will blow right by him and pull up for a jumper or knock down a 3 from outside. I'd say they're even offensively, but defensively I give the advantage to JJ. Adv. J. Johnson

6'2 Housely v 6'2 Guyn

I think this could be the match up that makes or breaks the game for either team. Offensively, Housely is no where near the offensive threat the Guyn is, but I think defensively Housely might have the advantage and is better on the boards. He really plays above the rim and has had atleast one dunk off a rebound in every game this year. Housely is more of a defender and rebounder, while Guyn is more of a scorer. Housely will have to move his feet and stay in front of Guyn or it could be a long night for him. Adv. Guyn

6' Riley v 6'1 Ford

Riley is no doubt the better offensive player of the two and a much better shooter. Ford will present match up problems though with his defensive intensity. Riley has to come out firing and get his confidence up early. He can't turn the ball over or it will lead to a lot of easy baskets for SC. Defensively I don't think Riley needs to worry about Ford being much of a scorer but has to keep him off the boards and not give him open looks because he'll knock them down all night. This is a tough match up to pick since I don't know much about Ford. Adv. Even.

I'm holding off on a prediction until later in the week but here are the keys for Holmes to win:

1. Ball Control- Holmes has to take care of the ball and keep SC's traps from forcing them in to easy turnovers. Both Riley and R. Johnson need to show some toughness with the rock and be aggressive. They also need to have good ball movement to catch the less athletic SC defenders out of place defensively, which will lead to easy lanes to the basket.

2. Rebounding- Holmes has to keep Phares off the offensive glass and box out. They are athletic and big enough that they SHOULD be able to out-rebound SC, but the key to that is not missing box out assignments. All 5 Holmes starters need to crash the boards at all times and follow their shots.

3. Defense- Holmes has to stop their guards' penetration and keep them out of the lane. Apply pressure on the ball at all times and limit their second shots. If Holmes can force them to beat them with jumpers, they should be in good shape. SC isn't exactly a very good shooting team from outside, outside of Guyn and Euton, IMO.

4. JAMEL RILEY- He has to step up and be a leader in this game. He IMO will be the best shooter on the floor, hands down. He is 14 for 17 on the year and 9 for 10 from behind the arc. (Look up his stats) If he can catch fire from outside early, it will really open up Holmes offensively and take SC out of their comfort zone.

Key Match ups:

Defensively I think Euton will have trouble guarding Johnson. I saw him in both the Ballard and Duncanville game and he looked a little slow, which could lead to him getting in foul trouble if Johnson is smart and drives to the basket. Johnson will be too quick and athletic for Euton to stay with. On the other hand, Euton will have about a 2 or 3 inch height advantage. He is going to have to realize he needs to try and stay down low this game. Johnson is too good and long defensively for him to stay out on the perimeter and try to dribble around but down low, he could be very effective against the smaller Holmes player.. Adv: R. Johnson

6'7 Pittman v 6'7 Phares

This is probably the most even match up on the floor IMO. Both have the ability to play both inside and out but I think Pittman might be a little more consistent from outside and have more range, which he has proven this year and last year in the state tournament. Pittman will be the more athletic of the two and has to use this to his advantage. Phares on the other hand needs to be aggressive down low on the blocks. Pittman's 7 ft wingspan really causes problems for defenders, so Phares will have to use his body down low or he'll get dominated on the boards all night. I think Phares might be a little better at finishing around the rim but Pittman is better outside. Adv. Even

I think Chad is really going to struggle with JJ's defensive pressure. Jackson has shown that he is prone to turning the ball over and I don't think this game will be an exception with a tall, long defender on him. Chad will need to be aggressive with the ball and try to get in the lane and penetrate the defense. Defensively he needs to keep JJ off the boards. He has made a living with offensive putbacks. If Jackson doesn't play tight defense, JJ will blow right by him and pull up for a jumper or knock down a 3 from outside. I'd say they're even offensively, but defensively I give the advantage to JJ. Adv. J. Johnson

6'2 Housely v 6'2 Guyn

I think this could be the match up that makes or breaks the game for either team. Offensively, Housely is no where near the offensive threat the Guyn is, but I think defensively Housely might have the advantage and is better on the boards. He really plays above the rim and has had atleast one dunk off a rebound in every game this year. Housely is more of a defender and rebounder, while Guyn is more of a scorer. Housely will have to move his feet and stay in front of Guyn or it could be a long night for him. Adv. Guyn

6' Riley v 6'1 Ford

Riley is no doubt the better offensive player of the two and a much better shooter. Ford will present match up problems though with his defensive intensity. Riley has to come out firing and get his confidence up early. He can't turn the ball over or it will lead to a lot of easy baskets for SC. Defensively I don't think Riley needs to worry about Ford being much of a scorer but has to keep him off the boards and not give him open looks because he'll knock them down all night. This is a tough match up to pick since I don't know much about Ford. Adv. Even.

Nice breakdown of the matchups. IMO the two best starting 5's in the state. I will be watching early to see if Riley takes the open shot. If he comes out shooting I really like the Bulldogs. If not, it could be a long night and get ugly for the Dogs. It looks like it's going to be a good one. Picture this, a Kentucky High School basketball game, that will have 6 to 8 D-1 prospects. Thats impressive. Can anyone give me a game in recent history where it was this much talent on the floor at the same time. I can't think of one. Not in the Bluegrass anyway.

Key Match ups:

6'7 Pittman v 6'7 Phares

6'2 Housely v 6'2 Guyn

6' Riley v 6'1 Ford

Nice breakdown. I'll be there too.