Scott County vs Holmes (12/14)

Roots

Who Wins this Game  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins this Game

So you don't think any of the SC players have a weakness in their game? :rolleyes: I stated both their strengths and weaknesses. I see nothing negative about that..

That’s not the point… everyone has strengths and weaknesses. I suppose I’m not separating at least three months of posts in which you have been unrelenting in your criticism of Euton, Jackson, Flannery and Scott County in general… as if Holmes has nothing but homegrown talent from K-12.

These are kids playing a game, trying their best and hopefully having some fun along the way. I doubt many adults on this site could stand up to the scrutiny of their performance at their nine-to-five jobs that many of these kids go through almost daily for simply playing a high school sport.

Whatever… all I can say is that if I were a SC coach I would hope that the official Holmes scouting report is very similar to your evaluation… :thumb:

But I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree in our assessment of each team. Like you said, it's a good thing the coaches and players will settle it sunday and then possibly again in March.

My greatest hope is that the coaches for both teams get a great night's sleep Saturday, have a relaxed day Sunday so their heads are absolutely clear come game time Sunday evening. I hope every player on both teams shows up ready to play, and turns in one of their best performances of the season... so there are no excuses.

I genuinely wish both teams the very best for Sunday evening. May the best team win! :thumb:

Edited by Fastbreak

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think Scott County will do very well in this game. I will be surprised to see Holmes win. Not that they are not capable, I just don't think they are good enough at this point.

From what I have gathered, they are not nearly the defensive team they were a year ago. The possess possibly some more scoring but have had a tough time replacing Henderson, particularly on the inside.

I just see Scott County having too much inside game for Holmes. Phares is a monster on the boards...Euton does well.

They have two guards in Jackson and Gyun that can really play.

Holmes may hang for a while, but Scott County is just better.

I think Scott County will do very well in this game. I will be surprised to see Holmes win. Not that they are not capable, I just don't think they are good enough at this point.

From what I have gathered, they are not nearly the defensive team they were a year ago. The possess possibly some more scoring but have had a tough time replacing Henderson, particularly on the inside.

I just see Scott County having too much inside game for Holmes. Phares is a monster on the boards...Euton does well.

They have two guards in Jackson and Gyun that can really play.

Holmes may hang for a while, but Scott County is just better.

Henderson was a guard last year....not an inside player.

I suppose I’m not separating at least three months of posts in which you have been unrelenting in your criticism of Euton, Jackson, Flannery and Scott County in general… as if Holmes has nothing but homegrown talent from K-12.

I have to respectfully disagree with you and point out a few things:

You say Holmes doesn't have "homegrown" talent but do you know for a fact what schools they attended in elementary and middle school? I'm assuming the answer is no. Actually if you look it up, ALL of the kids on their roster grew up in the Covington Independent Public School system and attended Holmes middle school (Two Rivers). Housely is the only exception who went to Holy Cross for middle school and his freshman year before leaving for Newport and then coming to Holmes his senior year. Johnson Brothers left for one year (freshman year), and were actually enrolled back at Holmes before the start of summer when their mother found out her position with the Taft schooling system would be cut at the end of the year.

If the topic is going to be brought up, please have facts to back up the statements made in regards to the Holmes kids. It's been beaten to death and the FACTS have been layed out more than enough to realize the Johnson Brothers are "homegrown." They didn't just land in the lap of Coach Henley. They went back to their "home" school. Housely is the only legitimate argument you have. But even he grew up attending the Holmes feeder elementary schools.

Can the same be said for any of the players you mentioned? Along with Guyn? :sleep::sssh:

Let's try not to turn this in to a transfer debate though. It's only taking away from the actual topic which is #1 SC v #2 Holmes. I'd be glad to discuss the game with you.

You say Holmes doesn't have "homegrown" talent but do you know for a fact what schools they attended in elementary and middle school?
I never said anything close to that. I merely pointed out that Holmes does not have 100% homegrown talent. Big difference. Parse it however you will, three of your starters came from other schools. I couldn't care less. I genuinely wish the Holmes players the best.

Even if only one impact transfer enters your program, you have no room to throw stones at your competitors who may also benefit from transfers.

Let's try not to turn this in to a transfer debate though. It's only taking away from the actual topic which is #1 SC v #2 Holmes. I'd be glad to discuss the game with you.
This is the most accurate post you’ve made in this thread, and one I happen to agree with 100%. I agree that Monday, SC will still be #1 and Holmes will be #2. :thumb:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

This is the most accurate post you’ve made in this thread, and one I happen to agree with 100%. I agree that Monday, SC will still be #1 and Holmes will be #2. :thumb:

Guess we'll both just have to wait until Sunday to find out for sure. Will you and Spindoc be making the trek up here to nky? I'm sure Euton and Jackson would be disappointed if their two biggest fans weren't in the stands. :lol:;)

Just having a little fun to ease the tension. No harm meant. Hope you guys have a safe trip up here if you indeed are coming. I recommend getting up here early to catch the Highlands/Covcath game. Student sections at their best :thumb:

Can't wait to call this game Sunday night. Wouldn't be surprised to see UK, UC, X and several other D1s taking in the action. Been looking forward to it for months...

I take it UC and West Va. will both be there since both are recruiting Rico so hard?

I'd think there will be a lot of scouts and coaches in the stands with all the D1 talent that will be showcased in this game.

I never said anything close to that. I merely pointed out that Holmes does not have 100% homegrown talent. Big difference. Parse it however you will, three of your starters came from other schools. I couldn't care less. I genuinely wish the Holmes players the best.

Even if only one impact transfer enters your program, you have no room to throw stones at your competitors who may also benefit from transfers.

Didn't Holmes get beat by Bryan Station? I'm not knocking Holmes as I think they are a very good team, but when a team loses don't they usually drop a few spots. Not that polls really amount to anything but I think another team would move into the two spot.

Didn't Holmes get beat by Bryan Station? I'm not knocking Holmes as I think they are a very good team, but when a team loses don't they usually drop a few spots. Not that polls really amount to anything but I think another team would move into the two spot.

Point well taken... I was just trying not to be entirely disagreeable with Eta... :lol:

Point well taken... I was just trying not to be entirely disagreeable with Eta... :lol:

Take it for what it's worth. I've told people from the beginning I didn't feel Holmes was ready to be the #2 team this early in the season. They have the INDIVIDUAL talent, but aren't there as a TEAM yet. Male beat them early last season as well, but I can guarantee you they wouldn't have wanted to play Holmes again in Feb. when they were clicking on all cylinders. Same goes this year with Bryan Station. Holmes has historically struggled against both teams when they play early in the season.

I have to disagree with you about Holmes not having homegrown talent. The Johnson brothers come from City Heights. A housing project in Covington, born and raised there. Pittman comes from the East of Covington. Arnold and James Rice both come 13th st. in Covington. The whole Holmes basketball team played for Lamont Behannon since they where kids, who is a Holmes grad.. On the other hand I have no probelm with them kids changing schools. Schools benefit when they have good student athlete s, so why cant a kid benefit from a good school when he or she is a good student athlete. More power to those SC kids for making the change, and fighting until the end.