John McCain lies to David Letterman

http://www.tmz.com/2008/09/25/david-bitterman-spurned-host-rips-mccain/

^Video from Letterman above.

In case you didn't know, McCain was supposed to appear on David Letterman last night. McCain called Letterman before the show (which actually tapes around 6 or 7 PM) to cancel his appearance. He used the excuse that he had to race to the airport in order to get back to Washington so he could deal with the economy.

Here's what's funny....during his show last night, Letterman cut to a live feed of an interview with Katie Couric that showed McCain getting his makeup done. Couric's set was only a couple blocks away from Letterman's studio and far away from the airport.

Apparently, McCain didn't stop to think that Letterman and Couric are both on the same network and one could easily find out about the other. Needless to say, Letterman was a little upset. Personally, if I had to choose between Couric and Letterman, I would pick Letterman. Couric's relevance has dropped significantly since she left the Today Show.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Letterman has been blasting McCain for months. Then he brings Mr. Unbiased, Keith Olberman on the program to take his shots at him. Nice. I am surprised that McCain agreed to do Letterman in the first place, and after the shots Letterman has taken at him and more recently Palin, it shows that DNC, ... er I mean NBC is right on track with MSDNC.

However, with that being said, I think McCain made a mistake by doing this. If he thinks Letterman has blasted him before, just wait to see what he gets the next few months.

Letterman has been blasting McCain for months. Then he brings Mr. Unbiased, Keith Olberman on the program to take his shots at him. Nice. I am surprised that McCain agreed to do Letterman in the first place, and after the shots Letterman has taken at him and more recently Palin, it shows that DNC, ... er I mean NBC is right on track with MSDNC.

However, with that being said, I think McCain made a mistake by doing this. If he thinks Letterman has blasted him before, just wait to see what he gets the next few months.

:thumb:

John McCain has appeared on Letterman several times, so it's really no surprise that he was going to be on the show.

McCain has appeared on Letterman several times. He's even done a Top 10 list or two. I've seen Letterman talk about how McCain is a war hero, how he admires him, and how he is honored to know McCain and that McCain is the only true hero he knows.

In Letterman's defense, McCain canceled on him at the last minute - of course they had to scramble to bring someone on to the show. "Hey, I hear Olbermann isn't do much nowadays."

I see your point and agree that someone other than Olbermann should have come on the show, but on that same note, McCain should not have canceled. BTW, Letterman isn't on NBC, he's on CBS, which is why they obtained the live feed of Couric's interview.

And to be fair, Letterman has blasted both sides in this race, but you are right, McCain asked for it now that he's dissed Letterman.

In all honesty, McCain should have been honest about the cancellation. I don't have a problem with him doing the Couric interview. But, I do feel he should have been truthful to Letterman, telling him he had to cancel as he could only do one appearance, and chose the "news" format.

I get the feeling that Letterman isn't as upset about the cancellation, as he is about the lack of honesty in the reasons for cancelling the appearance.

I get the feeling that Letterman isn't as upset about the cancellation, as he is about the lack of honesty in the reasons for cancelling the appearance.

That's the feeling I got from watching it. He understands that cancellations need to happen sometimes, but what was the point in lying about it?

Letterman went on to state, "This is not the John McCain I know, by God"

"This doesn't smell right."

"It makes me believe something is going haywire with the campaign," he said. "Something's gotten to him."

"Here's what you do if you are running a campaign in the middle of an economic crisis and it’s about to crater," Letterman continued. "You go back to Washington, you handle what you need to handle. Don't suspend your campaign. You let your campaign go on shouldered by your vice presidential nominee…or is that really a good thing to do? See what I am saying?"

"If your quarterback can't play, you put in your second string quarterback, you don't suspend your campaign."

In response to Letterman, a McCain aide said on NBC's Today Show Thursday morning, "We deeply regret offending Mr. Letterman, but our candidate's priority at this moment is to focus on this crisis," she said. :rolleyes:

How do we know what McCain really told him?

Your question: Why would Letterman lie about what McCain said?

My follow-up: Did you really just ask that question?

This is Dave's show. He is the night-time Oprah. He has an agenda. But when he said "the road to the White House runs through me," does anyone believe he was joking? He and Olbermann are megalomaniacs and they used their pulpit to condemn how anyone could prevent "their show from going on."

When we start allowing TV personalities to dictate the way they think things should be run ("what you do is you send your Vice President to be on the show"), then we deserve everything we get.

How do we know what McCain really told him?

Your question: Why would Letterman lie about what McCain said?

My follow-up: Did you really just ask that question?

This is Dave's show. He is the night-time Oprah. He has an agenda. But when he said "the road to the White House runs through me," does anyone believe he was joking? He and Olbermann are megalomaniacs and they used their pulpit to condemn how anyone could prevent "their show from going on."

When we start allowing TV personalities to dictate the way they think things should be run ("what you do is you send your Vice President to be on the show"), then we deserve everything we get.

The bolded is an outright lie, but you're welcome to think whatever you wish. Olbermann maybe, but Letterman, no.

I do have a question for you though. Have you ever met Mr. Letterman? If no, then how can you make such a comment?

The bolded is an outright lie, but you're welcome to think whatever you wish. Olbermann maybe, but Letterman, no.

I do have a question for you though. Have you ever met Mr. Letterman? If no, then how can you make such a comment?

Completely in the wrong to call it a lie. You can say it is hearsay's opinion but how can you qualify it as a lie? Do you know Letterman? Can you say 100% hearsay is wrong?

John McCain has appeared on Letterman several times, so it's really no surprise that he was going to be on the show.

McCain has appeared on Letterman several times. He's even done a Top 10 list or two. I've seen Letterman talk about how McCain is a war hero, how he admires him, and how he is honored to know McCain and that McCain is the only true hero he knows.

In Letterman's defense, McCain canceled on him at the last minute - of course they had to scramble to bring someone on to the show. "Hey, I hear Olbermann isn't do much nowadays."

I see your point and agree that someone other than Olbermann should have come on the show, but on that same note, McCain should not have canceled. BTW, Letterman isn't on NBC, he's on CBS, which is why they obtained the live feed of Couric's interview.

And to be fair, Letterman has blasted both sides in this race, but you are right, McCain asked for it now that he's dissed Letterman.

I agree that McCain used to go on Letterman. However, my dad completely stopped watching Letterman, who he used to really like, as the past few months he has drilled McCain and Palin at every opportunity. Obama has gotten very light treatment by comparison. McCain is more of a Leno man, having been on his show 28 times (I believe that was the number Leno gave).