Are numbers down everywhere

jbsaylor

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never heard of schools transporting athletes to and from practice.

If this is something they have done in the past, I can understand why they can't afford it now.

In Harlan County, transportation to and from practice has always been provided, at least it has been since the mid 70's (thats as far as I can remember). From Evarts,we ran 2 buses after practice. At Cawood, 2 buses also ran. At Cumberland, Im not sure if there was 2 buses, but there was at least 1 taking kids home after practice. All these buses were for all athletics. For instance, kids staying after school working out for another sport could ride the football bus home. The buses also ran during the summer bringing kids to and from practice and buses also ran taking kids home after games as well. I think that eventually, after school tutoring also utilized these buses!!

Football is played a much higher level in KY, than it was even 10 years ago. Because of this the demands on the players go up.

I see the level of coaching improving at many schools not just the historically good programs. If you show up today in July and try to get ready to play you can guarantee one thing, and that is you will get your head warmed up on Friday nights.

Parents....are we getting too soft on our young men or what?

Same here.:thumb:

And even then there were those who couldn't play because they were expected to work on the farm or lived where transportation was an issue.

If I may ask, when did you and Clyde play high school and where? While I didn't put in any where near the time kids today do, it sounds like we put in more time than you all had to. But we didn't have to worry about farm work or have transportation issues, thus it was easier for us to do off season conditioning. I graduated in 76 and we had off season conditioning 3 days a week and that included June. They called it 60 Minutes (Homer Rice I believe started the program) and maybe at the time it only lasted 60 minutes but by the time I got there it lasted more than 60 minutes each session. Today, it lasts 180 minutes three times a week during the off season at Highlands. And other than the dead period and spring break, it pretty much occurs from the end of football season through the start up of summer practice.

As for Spring football back in my day, heck, I can't remember for certain if we even had spring football back then. Guess I took one too many shots to the head. Maybe DMZ can remember as I don't remember him ever hitting anyone hard enough to cause any memory loss. :D Just kidding my friend.

I don't follow the "rich kids" logic.

As a general rule in youth league sports, your "rich kids" tend to be the stars of the team (or are at least always starters). Main reason is because their parents can afford to cart kids around to all the tournaments and such, pay for equipment, are always at league games volunteering, coaching, etc. Sometimes parents threaten to withdraw financial support or try to run the coach off if little Johnny doesn't start.

For the parents of "poor kids," this isn't always an option, for obvious reasons.

Oftentimes when the "rich kids" get to the HS level, they find out that mom and dad's $$$ don't matter as much when playing time is being considered, as most serious coaches are more concerned with winning than playing politics. That's not to say that all "rich kids" are handed starting spots without merit. But it happens. A lot.

If I may ask, when did you and Clyde play high school and where? While I didn't put in any where near the time kids today do, it sounds like we put in more time than you all had to. But we didn't have to worry about farm work or have transportation issues, thus it was easier for us to do off season conditioning. I graduated in 76 and we had off season conditioning 3 days a week and that included June. They called it 60 Minutes (Homer Rice I believe started the program) and maybe at the time it only lasted 60 minutes but by the time I got there it lasted more than 60 minutes each session. Today, it lasts 180 minutes three times a week during the off season at Highlands. And other than the dead period and spring break, it pretty much occurs from the end of football season through the start up of summer practice.

As for Spring football back in my day, heck, I can't remember for certain if we even had spring football back then. Guess I took one too many shots to the head. Maybe DMZ can remember as I don't remember him ever hitting anyone hard enough to cause any memory loss. :D Just kidding my friend.

I don't think Highlands is now nor was then a "typical" program. It placed a much greater importance on football than many schools in the 70s.

As a general rule in youth league sports, your "rich kids" tend to be the stars of the team (or are at least always starters). Main reason is because their parents can afford to cart kids around to all the tournaments and such, pay for equipment, are always at league games volunteering, coaching, etc. Sometimes parents threaten to withdraw financial support or try to run the coach off if little Johnny doesn't start.

For the parents of "poor kids," this isn't always an option, for obvious reasons.

Oftentimes when the "rich kids" get to the HS level, they find out that mom and dad's $$$ don't matter as much when playing time is being considered, as most serious coaches are more concerned with winning than playing politics. That's not to say that all "rich kids" are handed starting spots without merit. But it happens. A lot.

I've never subscribed to the above overall but in this particular discussion I think its even less likely. If you want to use that for volleyball, soccer, maybe basketball I'd listen. However, its simply not the case in football.

I've never subscribed to the above overall but in this particular discussion I think its even less likely. If you want to use that for volleyball, soccer, maybe basketball I'd listen. However, its simply not the case in football.

Not sure how you can definitively dismiss this as not being the case in football. Why is football different? Are parents of football players somehow wired differently than other parents of young athletes?

Not sure how you can definitively dismiss this as not being the case in football. Why is football different? Are parents of football players somehow wired differently than other parents of young athletes?

Money is required to play club volleyball or travel soccer or travel baseball.

Football requires you to have access to a weight room (free of charge), a place to run sprints, a place to run long distance, and a football.