Are numbers down everywhere

jbsaylor

Right, but I was noting how the landscape changes for players/parents when the kids move up from youth leagues to HS FB. If a kid finds out his parents' money isn't getting him that starting spot anymore, many of them quit and pursue other interests where their money can give them a leg up (such as in the pursuit of girls).

:laugh:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is the first time I have ever heard of a team running a bus after/before football practice...

Owensboro city schools have done this for quite some time for several sports and it is not that big of a district.

In the past pressure has been applied to participate in spring football, kids have to make a choice between football, baseball and track. There are hardly anymore two or three sport athletes.

Of course soccer plays a role, it has grown so much. Our school Apollo has around 1400 plus. 48 eighth graders signed up for football. 15 showed up.

We have a new coach, Paul Bates, who is a real go getter, I am sure we will improve.

Football takes a great work ethic to be successful .That is the reason that so

many coaches/players give it up. Very little pay or appreciation even if success takes place. Basketball has become a roll out the ball sport. I do not think I have seen a jump stop/pivot/or a back door seal the deal in 20 plus years (Because that involves teaching and a work ethic.) Most kids play

basketball because it is easy and the ball is rolled out. I have not seen many teams in the past few years that play defense, but if the do they usually win.

Our society has become soft and so has our leadership!!! However I do not know many football coaches that do not work their tails off for their players and their school talent or not. Football is the last strong hold of discipline known to man in our society (Knocked down and get up and take care of buisness) nothing else teaches pride, respect or discipline like it.) For the love of the game, the players that play, the coaches that coach it, and the wives that tolerate it.

many coaches/players give it up. Very little pay or appreciation even if success takes place. Basketball has become a roll out the ball sport. I do not think I have seen a jump stop/pivot/or a back door seal the deal in 20 plus years (Because that involves teaching and a work ethic.) Most kids play

basketball because it is easy and the ball is rolled out. I have not seen many teams in the past few years that play defense, but if the do they usually win.

Our society has become soft and so has our leadership!!! However I do not know many football coaches that do not work their tails off for their players and their school talent or not. Football is the last strong hold of discipline known to man in our society (Knocked down and get up and take care of buisness) nothing else teaches pride, respect or discipline like it.) For the love of the game, the players that play, the coaches that coach it, and the wives that tolerate it.

:thumb:I like the way you think.

AMEN!

I couldn't disagree more with the bolded part of your post. Most coaches in every sport work their tails off.

I am on both sides of the fence here. I can see what you are saying cut block about the new style of basketball, and no doubt football is the toughest thing going, but my home school is Apollo, if you don't play defense, you get to sit beside Tony Hopper on the far end of the bench.