Playing time versus riding the bench

sports fan

Grade 6 sounds right. Because by 7th & 8th it should be about putting the most competitive team you can have on the floor or field.

Maybe another question that should be asked is by what age should the parents learn this lesson?

I agree:thumb::thumb:

^Thats what practice is for. If you are showing that improvement in practice they will get more playing time.

We'll just respectfully disagree. I'd probably start separating the kids by ability in the 9th grade. Until then, let everyone on the team play about an equal amount. Have kids practice, hard up to their abilities but get little playing time and that kid will quickly find something else to do with his/her time. Then in the 8th grade, after they've quit basketball in the 6th grade due to little playing time, they shoot up a foot or footb in a half and try to get them back playing. Like I said, we'll just respectfully disagree.

Closetalker can attest to the fact that the parents for the most part that he and I know and have been involved with disagree. At least the ones who with kids who are sitting. I'm not sure how many of you coach, I assume quite a few at some level or another, but speaking from experience, that one item of dealing with parents who still have what I call YMCA league mentality (no losers, everyone wins, everyone plays the same amount and gets a trophy) is the single most frustrating issue for coaches (for me at least). And when it happens at a private school where parents pay tuition, you can't imagine how much they feel like they are owed something because they write a check. Can't say I miss that part!!!!

Sorry for the rant, back to the subject at hand,,,,For me, I'd say 6th grade.

We'll just respectfully disagree. I'd probably start separating the kids by ability in the 9th grade. Until then, let everyone on the team play about an equal amount. Have kids practice, hard up to their abilities but get little playing time and that kid will quickly find something else to do with his/her time. Then in the 8th grade, after they've quit basketball in the 6th grade due to little playing time, they shoot up a foot or footb in a half and try to get them back playing. Like I said, we'll just respectfully disagree.

So what do you do with the kids that get cut? Are you not worried they might grow a foot by frosh year? This is the age these kids need to face the harsh reality that playing time is not 50/50. And that hard work and dedication will earn them PT.

I would say 6th grade but I dont think the Highlands administration agrees as they refuse to field 6th grade sports teams because they feel kids shouldnt go through cuts at that age. So basically the kids who truly want to play a team sport for their school go ahead and tryout for the 7th grade team and take the chance of being cut anyway.

Trying to win is important but middle school athletics should primarily be focused on development and team unity. JMO

Good thinking and I agree.:thumb: