Playing time versus riding the bench

sports fan

At what age does the "everybody gets to play an equal amount of time" take a backseat to "the better players obviously play more because we are trying to win"?

Note that I am not talking about running up the score versus putting in substitutes. I'm asking at what age does a player need to learn that playing time is not a birthright, but rather something you have to earn.

I think all would agree that in kindergarten soccer everyone should get to play the same amount regardless of the score, and in high school football you may ride the bench all season if you are not one of the top players.

So at what age should kids learn this lesson? I'm going with about 6th grade (age 11-12). What do others think?

I would include competitive AND school teams. YMCA rec teams, no. But how many 16 year olds play rec sports?

If two 6th grade school basketball teams are playing for the city championship should everyone be guaranteed playing time?

So at what age should kids learn this lesson? I'm going with about 6th grade (age 11-12). What do others think?

I agree as well. I have heard of T-Ball coaches only playing the same players all the time in an effort to win every game. It sickens me. Everyone deserves the chance in the your youth to play the same amount as everyone else.

Grade 6 sounds right. Because by 7th & 8th it should be about putting the most competitive team you can have on the floor or field.

Maybe another question that should be asked is by what age should the parents learn this lesson?

I agree with the 6th grade table for the better players get the playing time in competitive leagues or clubs. If it is rec leagues it most of the time a rule all kids play at least 2 innings and bat once in baseball.

I would say 6th grade but I dont think the Highlands administration agrees as they refuse to field 6th grade sports teams because they feel kids shouldnt go through cuts at that age. So basically the kids who truly want to play a team sport for their school go ahead and tryout for the 7th grade team and take the chance of being cut anyway.

Trying to win is important but middle school athletics should primarily be focused on development and team unity. JMO

I would include competitive AND school teams. YMCA rec teams, no. But how many 16 year olds play rec sports?

If two 6th grade school basketball teams are playing for the city championship should everyone be guaranteed playing time?[/QUOTE]

No. I believe that when kids start playing competitive sports and not recreational, the focus is completely different. You play to win in the competitive sports and you play to have fun and let everyone play equal amounts in recreational. Once a kid gets into the competitive (AAU, select teams, etc.), the best players on the team will play the most. Coaches try to keep everyone involved but at "crunch time", the best players are on the floor. This starts at the 4th grade level and goes all the way through high school. As a parent, if you want your child to play equal amounts, get him/her in a recreational league. If your child plays on a competitive team, the child and the parent needs to understand that equal playing time is not a given but has to be earned. Work hard, attend practices, make the most of playing opportunities and maybe something good will occur. Most kids aren't stupid when it comes to evaluating their talent level compared to their teammates (they know who's the best and so on down the line). It's the parents who have the toughest time understanding it. A lot of parents have an unrealistic perception of the child's abilities and think their "little Johnny" is the best thing since sliced bread when he really isn't. I know I wanted my kids to be successful at athletics but I also had to be realistic. I knew they weren't D-I players but could be (and were) successful at another level.

I would say 6th grade but I dont think the Highlands administration agrees as they refuse to field 6th grade sports teams because they feel kids shouldnt go through cuts at that age. So basically the kids who truly want to play a team sport for their school go ahead and tryout for the 7th grade team and take the chance of being cut anyway.

Trying to win is important but middle school athletics should primarily be focused on development and team unity. JMO

Cuts are alot different though I think. Not playing a kid very much at a 6-grade level is fine by me, but i think cutting a kid is a little strong until 7th or 8th grade when you really start to mature and develop into highschool players.

I know at my high school there weren't any cuts to my knowledge. I have always had the philosophy that if you work hard in practice and have a good attitude then there should always be a jersey for you on a high school sports team. I know this might not work for some bigger schools, but that was a great benefit of going to a small school.

As to the position in re the better athletes getting more playing time at the 6th grade, I think we can all remember lots of kids that dramatically improved after the 6th grade and even after their frosh year. So if reduced playing time means them no longer wanting to play a sport and quitting, I think it may be foolhardy to go with greatly reduced playing time for those kids that don't seem to have what it takes as of the 6th grade. Heck, they haven't even hit puberty at that point.