The Offense Of The Future?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a related note, it was recently reported that a large black van containing several men thought to be assistant coaches was seen pulling out of Dale Mueller's driveway earlier today. Apparently, the van had a sign saying, "Gone to California, will be back in a week."

It seems that the mini-QB controversy at HHS between Guidugli and Bardo has been solved!

In high school football you have to be eligible by position, and seven players have to be on the line of scrimmage, with only the last player on that side of the line being eligible. Without changing the rules of football, this can't be done. By definition only six players can be eligible on any given play: the last player on each side of the line (2), and all the players not on the line (4).

7 men still have to be on the los. Because it is a kick formation, QB lined 7 yards behind center the lineman don't have to have typical lineman numbers. 50-79. They can have any number. Looks to me like typical plays everyone runs, but out of the kick formation.

It allows up to all eleven players to be potentially eligible in a formation known as the 'scrimmage kick formation'. It features up to all eleven players wearing an eligible receiver jersey number, either # 1-49 or 80-99, sometimes with two quarterbacks in the shotgun formation, and with nobody under center - thereby meeting the criteria for a scrimmage kick formation. In their base sets, Piedmont has a center, and a tight end on each side, and three wide receivers to the right, and left respectively. By spreading the potentially eligible receivers across the entire field, it forces the defense to account for every possible receiver on each play. Of course, on any given play, only 5 of those players can go downfield to catch a forward pass, and the other players remain ineligible to catch a downfield pass on that particular play.

It allows up to all eleven players to be potentially eligible in a formation known as the 'scrimmage kick formation'. It features up to all eleven players wearing an eligible receiver jersey number, either # 1-49 or 80-99, sometimes with two quarterbacks in the shotgun formation, and with nobody under center - thereby meeting the criteria for a scrimmage kick formation. In their base sets, Piedmont has a center, and a tight end on each side, and three wide receivers to the right, and left respectively. By spreading the potentially eligible receivers across the entire field, it forces the defense to account for every possible receiver on each play. Of course, on any given play, only 5 of those players can go downfield to catch a forward pass, and the other players remain ineligible to catch a downfield pass on that particular play.
Here is where I see the problem, they clearly are taking advantage of the rule made for kicking. I'd be surprised if rules committees don't simply close the loophole, and to be honest I'm not sure this loophole necessarily exist in all states.

The question: how to effectively level the playing field for Piedmont, with an enrollment of less than 1,000, when the Highlanders faced schools with student bodies nearly twice that.

I thought the bolded was the ruination of the world????:jump::flame::sssh::rolleyes::lol::sleep::cry::dancingpa:mad::argue::laugh::madman::cool::irked:

Before anyone takes me serious and replies with a thoughtful post, I am playfully yanking on people's chains.:lol:

Bryant has been on a number of coaching site (Coach Huey) about the offense. Here is some information.

It is legal in states using the Federation Rules (Texas and I think 2 other states use NCAA rules).

In fed rules a player must have both a legal number and by position to be able to catch a forward pass.

The scrimage kick formation allows you to by pass the number restrictions in that you can have more players wearin eligable numbers. It also protects the center (think punt and field goals).

The offense spreads the field much like teams do with the rugby style punts (WVU and Danville at one time used this style).

Through shifts and motions they can change who is an eligable reciever. This causes issues with coverages because you have to keep track of who is going out. It also changes personal due to lack of an OL.

It is taking advantage of a loophole and some states are looking into changing things to prevent it.