What is Gamesmanship and What is Cheating?

Hatz

Is it cheating or just unethical to steal a teams play call sheet that has the play and the #'s on the wristband of the plays and use them to call out your plays? The play sheet was taken from a head set box on our sideline and was taken from the box by the other teams chain gang during warm-ups and they gave them to their teams coaching staff.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you mean other teams are using air horns, cannons, or fireworks during actual play or after a score? As far as cowbells, I have one that I take to games and have never had anybody say they were not allowed or that the noise created an unfair advantage. I’m not sure if air horns are banned by the KHSAA or just by Fort Campbell, but they are not allowed at our home games. Now a cannon on the other hand would be a good idea seeing how we are an Army post. Doesn’t Highlands use a cannon? Wonder if the 101st can cough up a Howitzer? :flame:
How about a parachute drop after each TD !!

I think that filming another Teams game is Highly unethical...This past season Mayfield was caught on tape filming the Frankfort-Danville game....They left at 1/2 time, but they still got footage in an unethical fashion, and it did not help the result of the Regional Championship Game........

I think that filming another Teams game is Highly unethical...This past season Mayfield was caught on tape filming the Frankfort-Danville game....They left at 1/2 time, but they still got footage in an unethical fashion, and it did not help the result of the Regional Championship Game........

I don't know much about football from a coaching standpoint, but I always thought that coaches shared videos with one another. Is this not standard practice? And if so, why the need for the team to film it themselves?

I don't know much about football from a coaching standpoint, but I always thought that coaches shared videos with one another. Is this not standard practice? And if so, why the need for the team to film it themselves?
Teams break down their own film and grade players.

A great teaching tool, that is valuable to correcting assignments or techniques. Often some teams, will request game film of an opponent they played.

With talk on another thread hot and heavy I (actually someone else inspired me to start this :thumb:) thought it might be worthwhile to ask where the line line between gamesmanship and cheating lies?

In other words, where do you step over the line into cheating?

For example:

watering the field

growing the grass long

filming opposing teams games

overzealous scouting

tear-away jerseys

anything else you can think of

Don't use specific names or events but tell us about events without specifics. Confusing? Good. I've seen a lot of funny things that teams have done to try and gain an "edge" on their opponent. (When I say funny I mean strange, not :lol:) What is the difference between legal and unethical/illegal?

I'll begin with the notion that some places have watered down the fields to slow faster teams down. I've seen it taken to great extremes. I think it's cheating because you have abused the home field responsibility (the flip side of the advantage coin) which is to provide the best facility you can for the upcoming game.

What are some others you can think of or even disagree with?

How about changing jerseys? Lincoln County gained an advantage by changing jersey numbers and confusing Danville in 1983. It kept the Ads from keying on certain players (Kenny Phoenix).

IMHO, not cheating...but good coaching.

Someone asked what "unethical scouting" conduct was. Some have mentioned taping games in the stands by scouts.

Another old tradition is "spying" on a practice. There is an old legend in the Danville-BC area that spies for the City used to hide in the wooded fringes across the road and beside the practice field at Boyle. There were also rumors of County spies in the cemetary by the Danville practice field. I do think some are rumors and some are true incidents.

Is that unethical behavior?

(Please note that I used a specific and shouldn't but the rumors were about both squads so I don't think anyone looks more unethical than the other team)

How about changing jerseys? Lincoln County gained an advantage by changing jersey numbers and confusing Danville in 1983. It kept the Ads from keying on certain players (Kenny Phoenix).

IMHO, not cheating...but good coaching.

I think it was cheating . . . by confusing the Play-by-play man on the radio. :lol:

Actually I was a little peeved (not at the act on the field) but because I didn't have an idea exactly who was who (though I had a good idea who Kenny Phoenix was :thumb:). So I started calling the names of the scrubs whose numbers those were. I think some poor Crab Orchard boy rushed for the game of his life than night. :D

I think it hurt Danville early but Lincoln just played a great game that night and showed why you play it on the field and not on paper.

Someone asked what "unethical scouting" conduct was. Some have mentioned taping games in the stands by scouts.

Another old tradition is "spying" on a practice. There is an old legend in the Danville-BC area that spies for the City used to hide in the wooded fringes across the road and beside the practice field at Boyle. There were also rumors of County spies in the cemetary by the Danville practice field. I do think some are rumors and some are true incidents.

Is that unethical behavior?

(Please note that I used a specific and shouldn't but the rumors were about both squads so I don't think anyone looks more unethical than the other team)

I would say that watching or taping another team’s game is ok since games are open to the public. Spying or taping another team’s practice should not be allowed. Does the KHSAA have any specific stance on these issues?

I would say that watching or taping another team’s game is ok since games are open to the public. Spying or taping another team’s practice should not be allowed. Does the KHSAA have any specific stance on these issues?

What about taping the other teams coaches during the game to go along with the play on the field?

The "trick question" alarm just went off !!!

:lol: ;)

Here's one just for you oneijoe,

When the home team only has one set of bleachers, is it cheating/gamesmanship to make the visitor have to stand on the sideline in front of the fans? ;)