What is Gamesmanship and What is Cheating?

Hatz

The "trick question" alarm just went off !!!

:lol: ;)

No not really. He stated he thought it was OK to tape games of opponents, but the problem with allowing that is that coaches signals can be taped and studied. And that is really underhanded.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No not really. He stated he thought it was OK to tape games of opponents, but the problem with allowing that is that coaches signals can be taped and studied. And that is really underhanded.

I agree that taping another team’s coaches (signals) during a game is unethical. Case and point: the New England Patriots. However, my primary point was that games are open to the public and unless video taping is prohibited by a specific school, games can be video taped by anybody in the stands which would include staff from other teams.

What about the situation mentioned earlier where team A sent tape to team B and team B refused to send their film to team A? Would it then be unethical for the team A to go and tape team B because they didn’t comply with the practice of swapping film?

I simply believe that if video taping is allowed in high school games then it is almost impossible to prohibit other teams from filming or acquiring film of opponents games. On the other hand I do believe that taping another teams practice should be prohibited because practices, although on public property, are “proprietary”, if you will, to that team, where a game is not.

There is a KHSAA rule against it. Rockcastle got busted for it a couple of years ago.

Most teams don't have a problem getting film from other coaches these days. Especially if a certain team is pulling tricks with their films because those type of things have a way of burning you tenfold. Everyone remembers that and your opponents will line up to provide film to anyone who plays you if they can.

There is a KHSAA rule against it. Rockcastle got busted for it a couple of years ago.

Most teams don't have a problem getting film from other coaches these days.

Most teams also wait until Saturday, Sunday or even Monday to break film down. Rockcastle broke it down Friday night after the games. What they did was not unethical, they traded any films to the other team after the games, if they had denied teams film then that would be dirty but they never ever did that. (Unlike some coaches who send blank film and/or send it in the middle of the week.) I hope no one was implying that Rock filmed coaches hand signals either because that was the biggest bunch of doo doo I'd ever heard of. I know Ashland tried to say that but they had no proof of that and I would lay every dollar I would ever make in my life on the fact that filiming coaches signals were never done, because I know it wasn't.

I am fairly sure changing jersey numbers is illegal. A player may wear 2 different numbers but he is suppose to be listed on the roster as both.

In 1983 it wasn't, which is the story Mr. Network was eluding to. :thumb:

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to dust off this topic for a minute if I might. Is there any rule/ethics code that discusses P.A announcers. Maybe a being a little too much like a home team fan over the load speaker that just happens to be pointed at the visitor sideline. Seemed a lot like blaring music during a hostage crisis.

Good question above. Shouldn't the P.A. guys show some impartiality during play by play description. We all pay to attend the games and support the home school with our concession purchases. Aren't we entitled to game annoucing that is at best at tolerable? Granted, the home press box can and should have enthusiam for their their team but they need to serve the entire crowd.

Good question above. Shouldn't the P.A. guys show some impartiality during play by play description. We all pay to attend the games and support the home school with our concession purchases. Aren't we entitled to game annoucing that is at best at tolerable? Granted, the home press box can and should have enthusiam for their their team but they need to serve the entire crowd.

I agree 100%

We have cheerleaders and they do a great job. I don't want my PA guy being a cheerleader. I don't mind a little emotion, but I hate cheesy attempts to fire up the crowd and cheering from the PA guy.

I was at a game last night and the P.A. annoucer was not quiet for more than the time it took the play to happen. He welcomed friends, family, family's kids, sponsers, alumni, etc. along with giving kudos to the players after every play and getting the stands to make noise in critical situations. It got to the point that I felt as if I had been abused by the announcer along with our team. They had a large speaker pointed at the crowd and another pointed directly at the opposing team's sidelines. This announcer had less class than any announcer I have ever heard, he thought he was the color man on the radio. There must be some kind of rules governing the amount of noise an announcer can make, or both teams should have an announcer.

Hey Fast Hands, I don't blame you for not naming the host team with the overzealous announcer. I am curious though. Please hint at the region of the state and class size. I might just be fortunate enough to catch the act live.

I believe if you look up Fast Hands posts, you will see who his team is...then it's easy to find out who they played last night. ;)

"Homer" announcers really don't bother me all that much. As long as they're not announcing after the huddle is broken. Kond of like when a basktball announcer is still talking while someone is at the line shooting a FT.

If an announcer wants to get the home team fired up, that's all right with me. Just don't interfere with the game.