What is Gamesmanship and What is Cheating?

Hatz

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Homer" announcers really don't bother me all that much. As long as they're not announcing after the huddle is broken. Kond of like when a basktball announcer is still talking while someone is at the line shooting a FT.

If an announcer wants to get the home team fired up, that's all right with me. Just don't interfere with the game.

I agree, IMO cheesey announcers are part of the game, and don't create an unfair advantage.

In other states such as Alabama the bands play the whole game especailly when the opposing team is on offense.

Don't like that at all.

"Homer" announcers really don't bother me all that much. As long as they're not announcing after the huddle is broken. Kond of like when a basktball announcer is still talking while someone is at the line shooting a FT.

If an announcer wants to get the home team fired up, that's all right with me. Just don't interfere with the game.

You should have been with me last night.

Bassett High played McMichael in North Carolina. The PA announcer acted like he was a Play by Play radio guy. Liteally talked through the play.

"Woods in the shotgun. He drops back to pass. He is sacked by #34 Jackson."

"Woods under center. 3rd Down and 8 from the 42. Let's make some noise for a big Phoenix stop!!"

"He drops back to pass. Long pass to #3 McDaniel. He catches it for a first down at the 23."

All Night. During the plays !!!!

I asked one of the locals, "That's really nice the way you provide a PA announcer for the blind people attending the game." :lol:

Maybe it is just because I'm a Notre Dame fan (think vs. USC in 2005 which we still lost) but I love the idea of being able to grow your grass to however you think suits your style. Bigger, slower, power teams...grow it high. Fast, quick teams...keep it low. That's just a part of home field advantage.

Our team had a game on Saturday so we decided to go a friday night game and watch since we thought it would be a good game. I saw something I had never seen before a guy on a 4-wheeler with a big freakin' horn. He set it off when the home team scored a TD. The one thing I found very unclassy was it was late in the game and it was a close game and the other team had the ball with a chance to pretty much put the game on ice and this guy was traveling the track with the plays and while the other team was at the line of scrimmage this guy was revving on that 4-wheeler for all it was worth. I was at the opposite end of the stadium and could hear it over everything even the fans. Very unsportsmanlike.

Is it cheating or just unethical to steal a teams play call sheet that has the play and the #'s on the wristband of the plays and use them to call out your plays? The play sheet was taken from a head set box on our sideline and was taken from the box by the other teams chain gang during warm-ups and they gave them to their teams coaching staff.

I am very surprised that there were no responses to this post. This one intrigues me. Would you as a coach Accept these play sheets? Would you laugh and joke with the guy that STOLE them or would you kick him out for being an idiot?

This is cheating as the information had to be STOLEN.

This proves that the Coach or Coaching staff lack moral fiber.

PA announcers and noise makers are fun to chat about, but lets kick the train back on track.:thumb:

I think the official quote is 'The use of artificial noisemakers is strictly prohibited by the KHSAA'.

As far as the cheating situations given, ...

watering the field - CHEATING

growing the grass long - CHEATING

filming opposing teams games - CHEATING

overzealous scouting - NOT SURE WHAT THIS ENTAILS

tear-away jerseys - IF IT IS AGAINST THE RULES, CHEATING, IF NOT, JUST GAMESMANSHIP

Is there a rule stating the length a blade of grass can be?

I am very surprised that there were no responses to this post. This one intrigues me. Would you as a coach Accept these play sheets? Would you laugh and joke with the guy that STOLE them or would you kick him out for being an idiot?

This is cheating as the information had to be STOLEN.

This proves that the Coach or Coaching staff lack moral fiber.

PA announcers and noise makers are fun to chat about, but lets kick the train back on track.:thumb:

I say we keep talking about the PA announcers and noise makers.

The plays being stolen is pretty cut and dry, it is cheating, the chain gang guys should be taken to task by the coach and then return them to the other teams coach. There Train back on the tracks.

Well I do not have my KHSSA rule book handy. But the noise makers "Horn" are allow as long as it does not interfere with the scoreboard "Horn" We have had them removed for us during a playoff game a few years ago. Then we called and wrote KHSSA they said basically we have every right to have the horns. We now carry a copy with us in case we are told again it agaisnt the rules. We just havin fun and cheering for our teams.

As a former player, coach, and now a fan, I never understood who benefits from that rediculous horn. For whom does that noise benefit? Does it actually fire any one up? That sound is an annoyance. I'd rather listen to crying babies. Give me the sound of the band and a roaring crowd. :thumb: Just a personal opinion.

As a former player, coach, and now a fan, I never understood who benefits from that rediculous horn. For whom does that noise benefit? Does it actually fire any one up? That sound is an annoyance. I'd rather listen to crying babies. Give me the sound of the band and a roaring crowd. :thumb: Just a personal opinion.

Everyone has an opinion! I kind of like them myself. Just my opinion!