What is Gamesmanship and What is Cheating?

Hatz

I can remember back in the "big game" in the late 70's early 80's that one team (when wearing white) would use cotton T shirts for their QB and RB only. The jerseys obviously had to be replaced several times during the games... Now the T shirts had the players number and all so it was "legit" however, I have always reserved the right to feel that this was a true reflection of ones lack of "class". Does anyone else recall this...?

Lack of class or advantage? If it wasn't stated in the rule book, then it would have been considered an advantage. Several teams in Jefferson County did this back in the day.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Playing country music when Johnson Central rolls into the stadium...:lol:

I can only imagine when district rivals Johnson Central and Bryan Station play. At Bryan Station home games the PA says "we strictly prohibit the playing of country music".

Maybe some of you old timers can confirm or deny this however, my mom a 1965 Highlands grad, once told me that when the football team used to go down and play in the mountains they would dig holes in the field and cover them up in certain areas.

Those early to mid 60's Highlands football teams were unbelievable, just looking at the yearbooks.

I would classify this if true as cheating.

I think the key is following the letter AND the spirit of the law and be never putting yourself in a position to accused of being unethical. These are kids and it is a kids game. Our behavior, especially that of our coaches, needs to model the kind of behavior we would want our kids to exhibit. Watering a field until it is a sloppy mess to win a game completely misses the point of what we should be doing. There are regulations about noisemakers (cannons, music, etc...) I believe. I never thought of a cannon as an advantage. I've never seen a cannon throw a block or make a tackle. It is more about providing a fun atmosphere for a Friday night and that is great.

All true! :ylsuper:

Maybe some of you old timers can confirm or deny this however, my mom a 1965 Highlands grad, once told me that when the football team used to go down and play in the mountains they would dig holes in the field and cover them up in certain areas.

Those early to mid 60's Highlands football teams were unbelievable, just looking at the yearbooks.

I would classify this if true as cheating.

Golly gee! Dem mountains kin be a dangrous place for a city boy. Swamps for fields and big ol' holes dug out in 'em, terrible.

Kind of place that'd make play on Thanksgiving day. :rolleyes::p:lol: