'09 9th Region Top 5

Not saying Etscheid isn't a solid player all around but to say POY potential is a little crazed.

Not really. He hit almost .400 this past year and apparently had a great hitting summer for the Colonels. He is hands down one of - if not THE - top-fielding 3Bman in the 9th. And I think he'll be one of the top five pitchers also. Put that all together and I think he's very solid candidate for POY.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Refresh my memory, but as far as I can recall, the only Cov Cath kid playing college baseball over the past couple of years is Conner Larkin at Georgetown.

Ryle has 5 kids playing and 1 playing summer college ball.

Let me say this. This argument is nothing more than juvenile as it means nothing.

Eric Severson is at Georgetown.

All schools have kids that could play college baseball but for various reasons choose not to. CCH is in that same situation. Off the top of my head, in addition to the kids that are playing, add the following that could have but chose not to: Quast, Browning, Myers, Tierney, Blaze, Popham, Browning, and Schreiver.

Not really. He hit almost .400 this past year and apparently had a great hitting summer for the Colonels. He is hands down one of - if not THE - top-fielding 3Bman in the 9th. And I think he'll be one of the top five pitchers also. Put that all together and I think he's very solid candidate for POY.

I've heard nothing but great things about this kid and I'll buy anything you tell me in regards to his defensive abilities. With that said, its going to be more than minor upset if Luke Maile doesn't win his 3rd POY.

We're going to have to think long and hard after next season as to what NKY players have had better high school careers than Luke Maile .

I've heard nothing but great things about this kid and I'll buy anything you tell me in regards to his defensive abilities. With that said, its going to be more than minor upset if Luke Maile doesn't win his 3rd POY.

We're going to have to think long and hard after next season as to what NKY players have had better high school careers than Luke Maile .

Oh, I'll buy that without question. Just throwing out names of other potential candidates. Hopefully before Maile is awarded his third straight POY there are a few other kids in NKY that have earned the right to be at least considered - if for no other reason than in the interest of good competition (and, secondarily of course, because Etch is a Ryle player ;)).

Farris had a whale of a career. At this point in the game (and, yes, I understand fully that Maile has yet to have his senior year), I see their careers as quite comparable.

Allow me to tap into your baseball knowledge and keen eye for talent.

Do you think the SEC schools and the MLB scouts that are watching Luke with keen interest are making a mistake? If Wera and Frilling are the benchmark you've set and if Wera went to William and Mary and Frilling (Gtown?) it would seem that you would put Luke at a lesser school than those two.

Also, do you think Luke has more ability at the D1 level than the 07 Ryle stars?

1 Maybe, they are not judging what he does now, they are gambeling on his potential.

2 Same level if he wants playing time.

3 Currently No....Potential, Maybe.

I agree 100% he's a good high school player but I still cannot see Luke putting up any numbers far below what he has done the past couple years. And to say Etcheid can do what he's done would be a little insane. You can argue he might hit .500, you can argue he's on of the top 7 pitchers in the 9th region, but can he hit .550+ with 50+ RBI's and 7 or 8 home runs? Those numbers, I'm afraid, I can't see him touching.

Hughes and Hatfield are at Transy, Weiss is at NKU, Collins, not sure but I heard he may be a Weslyan or somewhere in Tennessee.

What offers are on the table for the 09 Cov Cath super team?

2007 Ryle graduates still playing in college: Sheehy (Bellarmine), Weis (NKU),

Humphrey (Ohio Valley), Layne (Mount St. Joe), Hatfield (Transy).

Both Layne and Weis pitched in the college summer league and had outstanding success against excellent competion, including D1 hiters.

On another note there are many excellent players that choose not to play in college.

2007 Ryle graduates still playing in college: Sheehy (Bellarmine), Weis (NKU),

Humphrey (Ohio Valley), Layne (Mount St. Joe), Hatfield (Transy).

Both Layne and Weis pitched in the college summer league and had outstanding success against excellent competion, including D1 hiters.

On another note there are many excellent players that choose not to play in college.

I watched Weiss and Layne all summer and they have really stepped up their velocity and controll on the hill. Hump has spent the summer working on hitting from the left side of the plate and is getting it down pretty well. Sheehee unfortunately broke his foot mid season but was playing well before the inury. One other guy on that team is Garrett Wagner, who earned the leadoff spot and was asked early in the season to move to center field, where he had an error free season. He finished the season hitting .390. Not quite the .500 he hit in HS ball, but like you say, hitting against a mix of D1 thru NAIA pitching, so skipping college ball doesn't seem to hamper him.

I forgot to add earlier that Mark Gutteridge is at Cumberland and Lance Noll is at Franklin College. Both still playing college ball.

I agree 100% he's a good high school player but I still cannot see Luke putting up any numbers far below what he has done the past couple years. And to say Etcheid can do what he's done would be a little insane. You can argue he might hit .500, you can argue he's on of the top 7 pitchers in the 9th region, but can he hit .550+ with 50+ RBI's and 7 or 8 home runs? Those numbers, I'm afraid, I can't see him touching.

That's okay. Maile can't pitch against all the top teams in the region and have a sub 2.00 ERA like Etch can. Again, not saying he's a superstar or odds-on-favorite to win POY, but at this point he's as good a candidate as anyone outside of Maile.

That's okay. Maile can't pitch against all the top teams in the region and have a sub 2.00 ERA like Etch can. Again, not saying he's a superstar or odds-on-favorite to win POY, but at this point he's as good a candidate as anyone outside of Maile.

I'am supprised at you Coop....don't you know thet Maile is the only kid in N KY that can play ball and all the other kids should just pack it in and go home.

And to say that a kid is not a high school superstar just because of his performance against your almighty Raiders is a little bit juvenile. If Ty Cobb himself was to come to NKY and play high school baseball im sure there would be a game or two where he just didnt have it. So are you saying if Ty Cobb didnt hit against your team he would not be a super star?